+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Information about previous examination

Apr 18, 2016
Hi guys,

My wife is a Canadian citizen who was sponsored by her mother in 1996 when she was 14-year-old. She is sponsoring me to get my PR, but we got confused with one question.

The question is about the first checkbox in the form, IMM5533e. I'm not sure whether I should check YES or NO.

"The person I am sponsoring was declared as my spouse or partner and was already examined as a non-accompanying dependent when I applied for a permanent resident visa, and did not receive an immigration visa"

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
When your wife was 14 years old, were you married to her?

(Honestly, the answer here is no: had your wife, at 14, been married to you, she would not have been a dependent and would not have been eligible to be sponsored by her mother in 1996. You were also most likely not married to her at that point in time, and could not have been declared as a non-accompanying dependent)

davidshao

May 15, 2021
When your wife was 14 years old, were you married to her?

(Honestly, the answer here is no: had your wife, at 14, been married to you, she would not have been a dependent and would not have been eligible to be sponsored by her mother in 1996. You were also most likely not married to her at that point in time, and could not have been declared as a non-accompanying dependent)
My husband and I became permanent residents of Canada at the same time ten years ago. He was the principal applicant, but he lost his PR status 4 years ago. Now I would like to sponsor him to come to Canada, Yes or No to answer this question?