+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Ineligible for OCI due to Pakistani (Grand)Parent?

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
One of my parents, now deceased, was a Pakistani national. After marriage, they became an Indian citizen, got a passport etc.
I selected Yes in the OCI application that my parent was a Pakistani national at one point, and explained.

BLS rejected the application and said get permission from the consulate.
CGI replied with "you may not be eligible". That's it. How unhelpful.

I now see their website says "No person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Government of India may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an OCI Cardholder."

Is this a new rule? My kid got OCI a few years ago despite saying his grand parent was a Pakistani national. At the time, I was an Indian citizen.

Any suggestions/advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

fastfood

Apr 16, 2014
New delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
One of my parents, now deceased, was a Pakistani national. After marriage, they became an Indian citizen, got a passport etc.
I selected Yes in the OCI application that my parent was a Pakistani national at one point, and explained.

BLS rejected the application and said get permission from the consulate. They replied with "you may not be eligible". That's it. How unhelpful.

I now see their website says "No person, who or either of whose parents or grandparents or great grandparents is or had been a citizen of Pakistan, Bangladesh or such other country as the Government of India may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify, shall be eligible for registration as an OCI Cardholder."

Is this a new rule? My kid got OCI a few years ago despite saying his grand parent was a Pakistani national. At the time, I was an Indian citizen.

BLS is Bullshit! You should write an email to consultants general of your jurisdiction. They will be able to help you out in this case. You should have no problems getting OCI if your parent became an Indian Citizen later on.

Reactions: Immigreat81

fastfood

Apr 16, 2014
New delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BLS is Bullshit! You should write an email to consultants general of your jurisdiction. They will be able to help you out in this case. You should have no problems getting OCI if your parent became an Indian Citizen later on.
There should be something to file grievance as well with the ministry of external affairs if CGI try to turn down your request

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016

BLS rejected the application and said get permission from the consulate. They replied with "you may not be eligible". That's it. How unhelpful.

Maybe you should contact CGI (if you are in Toronto jurisdiction) by email: https://www.cgitoronto.gov.in/page/consulate-officials/

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
My bad; I wasn't clear. BLS told me to contact the CGI. The OCI liasion at CGI said "may be they won't be eligible" etc. Obviously, I replied by asking for more information. Like what does may be mean? They probably didn't read the mail in detail. No reply for a week now.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014

BLS rejected the application and said get permission from the consulate.
CGI replied with "you may not be eligible". That's it. How unhelpful.

I know someone whose spouse is Pakistani. They had an OCI and so did their minor children (Canadian born), which were issued a few years ago. Something happened recently (renewal was due or something like that), they were asked to surrender them, saying they should not have been issued even in the past and it was a mistake.

Immigreat81

May 28, 2017
I know someone whose spouse is Pakistani. They had an OCI and so did their minor children (Canadian born), which were issued a few years ago. Something happened recently (renewal was due or something like that), they were asked to surrender them, saying they should not have been issued even in the past and it was a mistake.
Fascinating! What did they do?
Depending how recent, renewals aren't needed anymore. Just inform them of the new passport number and that's enough.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Fascinating! What did they do?
Depending how recent, renewals aren't needed anymore. Just inform them of the new passport number and that's enough.
Nothing happened after. They last travelled on ordinary visas. The spouse has been lucky to get a visit visa without hassles even though born in Pk.