Indirect route from India

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, Ontario Canada
In the same boat. My in-laws have a 1-stop flight to Toronto (via FRA) next week. I was told by one of my politically-connected agent friends that this rule will exist for all major Indian airports starting Sep 22, viz., RT-PCR test at the airport facility within 18 hours, and will apply to connected flights to Canada as well. Let’s hope for the best. Anyone who successfully takes direct or connected flights, please do report as and when you depart/arrive!
Election is today and if these changes take place at major airports with Canadian authorities starting to accept RT-PCR from these airports - that will be great relief.

@Swar_M this would mean you would not need any tests at Abu Dhabi airport. As long as Hyderabad airport gets a similar facility of approved testing by end of September.

Last edited:

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mom has a Hyderabad-Abu Dhabi-Toronto flight on 6 October. The connection at Abu Dhabi is 6 hours but hoping that:
  • Only 1 test is needed in total.
  • Which could be done at Hyderabad Airport. So no preceding tests needed 72 hours before take of from India.
  • No tests needed at Abu Dhabi airport either. Canada accepts the Hyderabad test.
  • COVAX is approved by Canada - so that reduces chances of mandating second set of vaccine in India.
Fortunately, got a good rate for the 90 day medical insurance (needed for Ontario OHIP) for Mom, with practical inclusions. :) Online - no hassle - one less worry. Don't think other provinces need any medical insurance.

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mom has a Hyderabad-Abu Dhabi-Toronto flight on 6 October. The connection at Abu Dhabi is 6 hours but hoping that:
  • Which could be done at Hyderabad Airport. So no preceding tests needed 72 hours before take of from India.
  • No tests needed at Abu Dhabi airport either. Canada accepts the Hyderabad test.
  • COVAX is approved by Canada - so that reduces chances of mandating second set of vaccine in India.
Fortunately, got a good rate for the 90 day medical insurance (needed for Ontario OHIP) for Mom, with practical inclusions. :) Online - no hassle - one less worry. Don't think other provinces need any medical insurance.
2 minor points:
- tests are to be done within 72 hours prior to departure time of flight from Abu Dhabi (not Hyderabad).
- Not sure if Covaxin will be accepted by Canada by that time.

Edit: I striked through first point as we need more clarity on it. Update on Air Canada website only mentions tests on Delhi Airport (18 hours before departure).

https://livefromalounge.com/air-canada-resumes-flights-to-india/

Last edited:
Reactions: hinavin

arjy2405

Star Member
Dec 18, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-09-2014
AOR Received.
06-02-2015
File Transfer...
21-02-2015
Med's Done....
UF 04-03-2016 <br>RPRF Done....: UF 04-03-2016
Passport Req..
06-05-2016
VISA ISSUED...
11-05-2016
LANDED..........
28-05-2016
Me and 1 yr old are flying British Airways from Hyderabad to Toronto via Heathrow on Oct 6. Hope they change rules soon and a PCR test at Hyderabad will be sufficient. Flying via Delhi is a huge hassle,

Last edited:

anti_maniac

Star Member
Jun 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
2 minor points:
- tests are to be done within 72 hours prior to departure time of flight from Abu Dhabi (not Hyderabad).
- Not sure if Covaxin will be accepted by Canada by that time.
Not accepting Covaxin is ok, as long as it means 14 days quarantine....whereas if they completely ban un-vaccinated and/or covaxin vaccinated people it would be an issue for many.

I believe once they say 18 hour PCR test, which if negative....shall be enough for them to give comfort. Has anyone captured clearly somewhere that people vaccinated with non-recognized vaccine are not accepted still ?

(for now this link doesn't indicate that .....)

softwaretesting

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2013
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not accepting Covaxin is ok, as long as it means 14 days quarantine....whereas if they completely ban un-vaccinated and/or covaxin vaccinated people it would be an issue for many.

I believe once they say 18 hour PCR test, which if negative....shall be enough for them to give comfort. Has anyone captured clearly somewhere that people vaccinated with non-recognized vaccine are not accepted still ?

(for now this link doesn't indicate that .....)
https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

Reactions: anti_maniac

hinavin

Dec 2, 2010
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Me and 1 yr old are flying British Airways from Hyderabad to Toronto via Heathrow on Oct 6. Hope they change rules soon and a PCR test at Hyderabad will be sufficient. Flying via Delhi is a huge hassle,
True. Fingers crossed!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
90 day wait time for OHIP is currently waived. It will return so would verify tight before your parent lands but otherwise you don’t need extra insurance coverage.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Canada could have blocked all Passengers with Indian passports which would have avoided Third country route. Closing Direct Flights and opening third country only made Travel agents & airlines mint some money. You have no idea of the influx of students via third country route, i don't reckon banning direct flight is helping much.
There was a huge decrease in traffic. Many in Canada also didn’t travel to India unless absolutely necessary which was a problem before the ban. By routing traffic through a 3rd country people should have shown signs of covid before getting to Canada and only those people who absolutely needed to travel actually travelled. The purpose of the ban was to prevent people travelling from India. You don’t have to be an Indian citizen to travel from India. A variety of different citizenships wanted to travel from India. Indian citizens aren’t also limited to travel from India which is why you couldn’t just ban travel for people with Indian passports.

shinoyvj

Star Member
May 21, 2021
Canada
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
01-03-2021
Med's Request
09-03-2021
Med's Done....
16-01-2021
I have a ticket from India(cok) to Toronto through Dubai(emirates) for 22nd September. Due to all these confusion I called emirates to verify the situation and they are saying, as per the instructions they received early this morning that the (the restriction are still in place till 21st November) Indians need to get a RTPCR negative certificate outside India so I will not able to travel.
what a pain this has become.

Swar_M

Star Member
Jul 18, 2019
Election is today and if these changes take place at major airports with Canadian authorities starting to accept RT-PCR from these airports - that will be great relief.

@Swar_M this would mean you would not need any tests at Abu Dhabi airport. As long as Hyderabad airport gets a similar facility of approved testing by end of September.
Thanks @hinavin , I am just waiting for rules to get clarified.

Radhika777nair

Feb 18, 2018
I have a ticket from India(cok) to Toronto through Dubai(emirates) for 22nd September. Due to all these confusion I called emirates to verify the situation and they are saying, as per the instructions they received early this morning that the (the restriction are still in place till 21st November) Indians need to get a RTPCR negative certificate outside India so I will not able to travel.
what a pain this has become.
Why don’t you try booking with Etihad. They have a RT-PCR facility at transit. I have booked from kochi to Auh- yyz