+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

desmat

Champion Member
Feb 8, 2018
Hi @kellyCB,
In same boat, will receive passports on Monday. Flight on 16th. Do you think I should apply for eVisa and surrender it after return (Jan Mid)?
Will they not object at entry in Indian immigration, since I did not surrender the Indian PP and they would have my details as Indian unless I surrender the Indian PP?
You literally replied to a msg where he said you can surrender in india in rs.500 only and on the same day...

viralsagar20

May 1, 2018
Hi @kellyCB,
In same boat, will receive passports on Monday. Flight on 16th. Do you think I should apply for eVisa and surrender it after return (Jan Mid)?
Will they not object at entry in Indian immigration, since I did not surrender the Indian PP and they would have my details as Indian unless I surrender the Indian PP?
You can surrender your passport in India and at a cheaper price.

Cannnada

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
You literally replied to a msg where he said you can surrender in india in rs.500 only and on the same day...
@desmat
My question was regarding the travel to India on eVisa without cancelling/surrendering the Indian passport.
I know that we can surrender passport in India and get surrender certificate. But wanted to know will I be able to travel on eVisa holding a Valid Indian Passport.

viralsagar20

May 1, 2018
@desmat
My question was regarding the travel to India on eVisa without cancelling/surrendering the Indian passport.
I know that we can surrender passport in India and get surrender certificate. But wanted to know will I be able to travel on eVisa holding a Valid Indian Passport.
Yes, Confirmed to me by BLS person.

Reactions: Cannnada

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
@desmat
Yes you can. There is no dependency of eVisa on SC.
You can apply for SC in India(cheaper) or in Canada and subsequently apply for OCI.

Reactions: Cannnada and desmat

Amrinder Singh1986

Aug 9, 2017
Is there any page for evisa ?

My wife dont have given name in her canadian passport and for evisa they are requesting Given Name/s (exactly as in your Passport) * as mandatory -
Any recommendations ?

ankurbhatia17

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
I have already submitted application for passport surrender but will have to travell to India in the next few days for indefinite period. I am planning to apply for OcI while in India but on the website it says one cannot apply for OcI while on tourist visa. Does that mean evisa is not an option for me then?

gvinay23

Sep 12, 2022
@desmat
I contacted BLS as well today since I'm in a similar position and they stated that I can travel to India using Canadian Passport and evisa and can later surrender my Indian passport when I'm back to Canada (or) in India itself.

Reactions: Cannnada

gvinay23

Sep 12, 2022
I have already submitted application for passport surrender but will have to travell to India in the next few days for indefinite period. I am planning to apply for OcI while in India but on the website it says one cannot apply for OcI while on tourist visa. Does that mean evisa is not an option for me then?
Yes, you cannot apply for OCI in India when on a tourist visa.
You will have to apply for that once your back in Canada.

ankurbhatia17

Star Member
Jun 26, 2018
Yes, you cannot apply for OCI in India when on a tourist visa.
You will have to apply for that once your back in Canada.
I am going to India for indefinite period, and I believe there should be a way to apply for OCI in India. I am trying to figure out how to do that if you cant do that on a tourist visa.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am going to India for indefinite period, and I believe there should be a way to apply for OCI in India. I am trying to figure out how to do that if you cant do that on a tourist visa.
You need to follow @nivaan5 posts. He travelled to India applied for SC, entry visa basis on which you can apply for OCI after 6 months.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Yes you cannot apply for OCI in India while on tourist visa. I know a friend who is on e-visa and tried to apply for OCI. She was told by FRRO to apply for entry visa first and then apply for OCI after 6 months of stay. I would be doing the same. I have an entry visa and will be applying for OCI after 6 months.

Reactions: forw.jane

Noctis7

Nov 4, 2023
You can apply for OCI from India as long as you are on an eligible Visa and is a resident (continuous stay for over 6 months). You can also email the local FRRO and get clarification in writing, they are usually quick to respond.