+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi guys, do we need to send our 'original' Canadian passport along with our surrender application, in addition to a self-verified copy of the picture page of the Canadian passport?

On going through the "Checklist-and-Information-Booklet-for-Surrender-Certificate.pdf" document from the BLS website, the checklist on the first page lists this (e) Canadian/Foreign passport* (Copy)
However, on scrolling down that document and reading in the Information booklet section, it mentions
"Please enclose photo page of your Canadian / Foreign Passport having photographs and details of your passport. Original Passport is required to be submitted for verification, it will be returned back after verification. Copies must be self-attested (signed) by the applicant."

This is so confusing because they could have mentioned (Original and Copy) on the first page itself like they did for Indian passport (Indian Passport (Original and Copy) – last held)

I did not plan on getting a Canadian passport till later this year, but I assume that it is now required with the surrender application? They don't accept letter of explanation for not having a Canadian passport anymore? Thank you for your responses.
If you are submitting your surrender application by post, no need to send original of any documents, just include the application form, photographs, self arrested documents mentioned as per the checklist and paise bhejna mat bhoolna, warna like your profile “itisyouwhosemoneytheyarelookingfor” :p :p
Only if you are submitting in person then carry all the originals of the supporting documents

Naa they have become Chatur (aka Silencer of 3 Idiots movie) , they need Canadian Passport for surrender application, they no longer go along with the standard Indian pitch, bhai thoda adjust karlo;)

housejar

Jun 20, 2023
My timeline, if helpful to anyone:
June 6 - postal application reached Brampton
June 7-8 - processing at BLS
June 9-20 - processing at consulate
June 21 - ready for dispatch, received purolator number same day
June 22 - received surrender certificate at home

Reactions: bulls23 and OldH1B

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
Hi what did you include in your postal application? Do any original documents need to be sent?

shimnui1

Jun 28, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
congrats & thanks for sharing!

housejar

Jun 20, 2023
Hi what did you include in your postal application? Do any original documents need to be sent?
Hi, I followed the instructions on the BLS website: https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/surrender-of-india-citizenship.php
I did send my original Canadian passport because that is how I personally interpreted the checklist given there. They returned it with the cancelled Indian passport and the surrender certificate, so it wasn't an issue for me. Best to give them a call to check if they do indeed need the original. All the best.

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018
How much you paid via demand draft, just to confirm if I am calculating right amount. If you can give breakup as well

johnjkjk

Champion Member
Mar 29, 2016
@abbas.pasha do we have to submit original Canadian passport for mailed surrender?

Also if I previously changed my name on Indian passport, do I need to note this in the surrender application and supply copies of the previous passport, name change affidavits etc? Or are they only concerned with most recent Indian passport?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
@abbas.pasha do we have to submit original Canadian passport for mailed surrender?

Also if I previously changed my name on Indian passport, do I need to note this in the surrender application and supply copies of the previous passport, name change affidavits etc? Or are they only concerned with most recent Indian passport?
Naa dont send any originals
Incase of name changes on the Indian passport in my opinion you do not need an affidavit. Because the last held Indian passport would be be same as on the Canadian passport. If info on the Indian passport differs vs Canadian one e.g. name, PoB etc. then affidavit is required.

Reactions: johnjkjk

Guptavv

Oct 15, 2017
NA
Category........
Other
App. Filed.......
21-07-2017
Doc's Request.
13-10-2017
AOR Received.
06-11-2017
IELTS Request
10-07-2017
Med's Request
25-10-2017
Passport Req..
04-12-2017
VISA ISSUED...
10-01-2018
LANDED..........
04-06-2018
Quick question : did anyone submit the application by mail and got surrender certificate without sending original Canadian passport? I hear horror stories about package getting lost so I feel scared for sending original Canadian passport

blal

Star Member
Jul 11, 2018
I called up BLS Canada center to inquire about the process and they mentioned to me that if we are submitting in person, we need to show original Canadian passport for verification and provide a copy as well, they will give the original back. For Mail, only copy(self signed) is enough. They also offered pick and drop services which I found expensive but still useful as it would save a lot of time comopraed to when we go in person.

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Question regarding the surrender certificate application.

I have two different signatures what I mean is that signatures are different in Indian passports and different in address proof for Canada.

While self attestation, do I need to sign both signatures on the copies or use sign as per Indian passport?

Sapru

Oct 11, 2017
Canada
Quick question : did anyone submit the application by mail and got surrender certificate without sending original Canadian passport? I hear horror stories about package getting lost so I feel scared for sending original Canadian passport
I spoke to BLS on phone.. Original Indian passport is required to be sent (as that gets surrendered) and only self attested copies of other documents.. of course, application form with photo (and hand signatures) and demand draft are originals too..

rizwan23arif

Star Member
Sep 19, 2020
I spoke to BLS on phone.. Original Indian passport is required to be sent (as that gets surrendered) and only self attested copies of other documents.. of course, application form with photo (and hand signatures) and demand draft are originals too..
That's a no-brainer. Without the original passport of India, they cannot cancel the passport by putting a hole in it. And the answer provided by the BLS guy is 100% correct.