+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian passport surrender

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
So I called the BLS to ask the time and they said 8:00 to 1:00 and when I got there, they said the walking are only on Saturday. Does anyone know about this? This is Toronto Office.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
So I called the BLS to ask the time and they said 8:00 to 1:00 and when I got there, they said the walking are only on Saturday. Does anyone know about this? This is Toronto Office.
Seems like one of those change of rules which they never announced on their websites either...

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/index.php

All Walk-in centers are open. You may submit your applications at Brampton, Toronto – Scarborough and Winnipeg centers.

For General inquiry you may visit Monday to Friday from 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM.

To Book your Pickup/Drop off of application please visit https://www.blsindia-canada.com/postalbls/

To Book an appointment, please click the link:

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/appointmentbls/appointment.php

Application Submission time for all BLS centers in Canada is 8:00AM to 1:00PM.

If application is being submitted on Appointment basis, please produce proof of Appointment Confirmation along with Original Passport. Passport number needs to match with the one mentioned on Appointment Confirmation document.

Applications for Visa and Passport Surrender at Bldg#60, All other applications at Bldg#40 Gillingham Drive, Brampton, ON.

sumeet169

Jul 27, 2018
Seems like one of those change of rules which they never announced on their websites either...

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/toronto-jurisdiction/index.php

All Walk-in centers are open. You may submit your applications at Brampton, Toronto – Scarborough and Winnipeg centers.

For General inquiry you may visit Monday to Friday from 3:00 PM to 4:30 PM.

To Book your Pickup/Drop off of application please visit https://www.blsindia-canada.com/postalbls/

To Book an appointment, please click the link:

https://www.blsindia-canada.com/appointmentbls/appointment.php

Application Submission time for all BLS centers in Canada is 8:00AM to 1:00PM.

If application is being submitted on Appointment basis, please produce proof of Appointment Confirmation along with Original Passport. Passport number needs to match with the one mentioned on Appointment Confirmation document.

Applications for Visa and Passport Surrender at Bldg#60, All other applications at Bldg#40 Gillingham Drive, Brampton, ON.
Not only did they not mention it on the website, but when I called to find out the timing they told me go before 1:00 and also suggested I should line up at 6:00 AM and only then I will be able to get it done.

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
For surrender certificate applications, each applicant needs to have a Photo ID proof?
In my case, myself, wife, 2 kids - everyone needs an ID proof? For my son who is older I can try to get a school ID created with the photo on it.
But for daughter - she goes to day care only. She is 4. What Photo ID proof I can use for her? Will they access canadian passport as ID proof?

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
For surrender certificate applications, each applicant needs to have a Photo ID proof?
In my case, myself, wife, 2 kids - everyone needs an ID proof? For my son who is older I can try to get a school ID created with the photo on it.
But for daughter - she goes to day care only. She is 4. What Photo ID proof I can use for her? Will they access canadian passport as ID proof?
Adults will need proof of address (like DL, Utility bill copy etc).
Kids do not need proof of address (parents can include their DL, Utility bill copy etc). Kids birth certificates are required
If you are submitting in person carry all original documents. Self attested copies of the documents that you will submit should be backed up by original documents that BLS will verify and return at the same time over the counter

Reactions: OldH1B

cvda

Feb 22, 2023
Can we opt to collect surrender certificate in-person OR does that have to be BLS's Drop Off service ?

nishant872

Star Member
May 28, 2018
1) Can you submit the application on behalf of your spouse without he/she present in-person?
2) Toronto Scarborough office accept walk in right?
3) Usually at what time is recommended to go, so theres least wait time?

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Adults will need proof of address (like DL, Utility bill copy etc).
Kids do not need proof of address (parents can include their DL, Utility bill copy etc). Kids birth certificates are required
If you are submitting in person carry all original documents. Self attested copies of the documents that you will submit should be backed up by original documents that BLS will verify and return at the same time over the counter
Thanks Abbas.
One more question. Do I need to take appointment slot per individual in the family? If 3 of us are going do we need to take 3 slots?

OldH1B

Star Member
Nov 20, 2017
Are there any consequences or penalties if its more than 3 months since you got your Oath ceremony/ canadian citizenship but did NOT travel to India and didn't surrender the Indian passport?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Are there any consequences or penalties if its more than 3 months since you got your Oath ceremony/ canadian citizenship but did NOT travel to India and didn't surrender the Indian passport?
You are still in no penalty stage

S.N.ScenarioPenaltySection
1.Passport not surrendered up to three years and not used for travel after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty--
2.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for travel on Indian passport12(1A)
3.Passport not surrendered up to three years and travelled more than once after obtaining foreign passport.No penalty for retention of passport but penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)
4.Passport not surrendered for over three years and used for travel after obtaining foreign passportPenalty of Rs. 10,000/- for retention of passport and penalty of Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-).12(1A)
5.Renewal/re-issue of Indian passport and travelling on it after acquiring foreign nationality(i) Rs. 25,000/- for each renewal/re-issue and, (ii) Rs. 10,000/- for each travel on Indian passport (aggregate penalty on travel not to exceed Rs. 50,000/-)12(1A)

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Thanks Abbas.
One more question. Do I need to take appointment slot per individual in the family? If 3 of us are going do we need to take 3 slots?
Appointments has to be made for each member of the family separately even if one member is submitting the application for all the family members.