+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Indian Citizenship Post Canadian Citizenship

hellokit

Feb 28, 2023
I have a few questions - would appreciate if someone can help:
  1. After I get the Canadian Passport/become Canadian, will my Indian Citizenship become invalid immediately? Or it becomes invalid when I surrender my Indian Passport to the Indian embassy?
  2. For all future immigration filings in any other countries like the US, if I have not surrendered my Indian passport to the Indian embassy, should I list myself as a citizen of both Canada and India OR Canada only.

wincanton

Star Member
Mar 1, 2018
Waterloo
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-02-2018
Doc's Request.
21-02-2018
Nomination.....
07-02-2018
AOR Received.
12-02-2018
I have a few questions - would appreciate if someone can help:
  1. After I get the Canadian Passport/become Canadian, will my Indian Citizenship become invalid immediately? Or it becomes invalid when I surrender my Indian Passport to the Indian embassy?
  2. For all future immigration filings in any other countries like the US, if I have not surrendered my Indian passport to the Indian embassy, should I list myself as a citizen of both Canada and India OR Canada only.
1. Indian citizens acquiring any foreign citizenship must formally renounce/surrender their Indian citizenship. This can be done by surrendering Indian passports for cancellation. As per the Passport Act, it is mandatory for all Indian passport holders to surrender their last Indian passport to the Consulate immediately after acquisition of foreign nationality. It is an offense under the Citizenship Act and the Passports Act for foreign nationals to hold Indian passports. More details - https://eoi.gov.in/eoisearch/MyPrint.php?0834?001/0005
2. Indian Citizenship Act does not provide for dual citizenship. You should consider yourself as Canadian Citizen only.

Reactions: abbas.pasha