Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Fellow Members,

The job scenario is not very good for accounting professionals. In my case, first employers were asking for Canadian Qualifications, to overcome this hurdle I got evaluation from CGA-ON and received Advance standing and now they are asking for the Canadian experience even for the entry level jobs. It has been more than two months, I am roaming around with resumes. To get entry level job, for a newly immigrant CA with 8 years of experience of International Accounting Firms and Financial institutions, the requirement of Canadian Experience is totally absurd.

Before landing, whenever I searched about the job market, recruitment consultants, jobs websites and everywhere I found penalty of accounting job at least in GTA area but after coming here I found all these peoples are just collecting resumes to create their data base to publish on their websites. There are many Indian practicing CAs, who are now CGAs, in GTA areas, I have approached to more than 150 firms (Both Indian and others) but they are also not willing to give an entry in their firms even at nominal salaries…… At least it could help us to get the Canadian experience but……

I know many CAs who have left their decent jobs for better future in Canada, they did not get any work after 3-4 months, they are now forced to do the survival jobs of salesmen, watchmen, packers etc.

There are Government Funded community Centers also, they provide guidance, to find jobs and update the education to new immigrants. But I was shocked to see that they take 15 -20 days’ time for giving an appointment of 5-10 minutes just to tell you about the institutions/certifications that you need to get the jobs.

As per my understanding one need to have good circle and community association initially to enter into the job market. I have noticed community associations for Jews, Chinese really help their community’s new immigrants in all the possible matters. Unfortunately, for Indians there is no such community/association.

I also met with very successful people of our fraternity. They are doing really well but in the matter of job nobody helps.

MY SUGGESTION TO ALL OF YOU IS, PLEASE GET YOUR CREDENTIAL EVALUATED BEFORE LANDING, IF POSSIBLE DON’T RESIGN FROM JOBS, TAKE LEAVES FROM THE OFFICE OR AT LEAST ONE OF PARTNER SHOULD HAVE JOB BACK IN INDIA, FINISH ALL YOU FINANCIAL COMMITMENTS IN INDIA, IMMEDIATELY AFTER LANDING START PROCESS OF GETTING THE DRIVING LICENSE, BE PREPARED TO REMAIN WITHOUT WORK FOR NORMAL TO ABNORMAL TIME FRAME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DURING STRUGGLE PERIOD FEEL LIKE OUR CA ARTICLESHIP DAYS :)

Please feel free to write me if you need any information…. I would be more than happy to share my experience.

I would also like to mention that I am not frustrated at all… and my determination of cracking the first job is intact.

With grace of god and your wishes I will make it happen soon.

chintupatel

Jul 30, 2009
London
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-02-2010
Med's Request
26-06-2010
Med's Done....
09-07-2010
Hi B2C,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Don't get dishearten. I know, we CA can overcome any hurdels in life. You will soon find some good job :D ;D. I think every developed country will ask for relevant experience in their country. It happended to me, when I landed in UK back in 2007. So, basically they are looking for canadian experience and don't consider experience of UK, India or any other countries.

You mentioned about credential evaluation before landing. Please provide further information on this. From whom, we need to get evaluation and how many papers we need to qualify in order to get canadian qualification.
Anyways, i got few relatives over there. I will speake to them about you, in case they come across some accouting job in their group circle.

Do you have any idea whether they consider ACCA qualification or not ? I am on the verge on completing ACCA Qualification from here.

Keep in touch. If possible, provide your personal email address.
Thanks,

b2c

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chintu Bhai… Thank you very much for your kind note. I know for sure we have a very good future in this country. It is just matter of time to get the first job. Regarding the CGA, you can get the complete information by clicking the following link

http://www.cga-ontario.org/Prospective_Students/Post_secondary/Internationally_Trained_Professionals/Application_Process.aspx

Regarding ACCA, they have MRA with CGA and after completing ACCA you may become CGA straightway. You may probably have to write Canadian Tax courses.

Baki saab maza ma…All the best.

chintupatel said:
Hi B2C,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Don't get dishearten. I know, we CA can overcome any hurdels in life. You will soon find some good job :D ;D. I think every developed country will ask for relevant experience in their country. It happended to me, when I landed in UK back in 2007. So, basically they are looking for canadian experience and don't consider experience of UK, India or any other countries.

You mentioned about credential evaluation before landing. Please provide further information on this. From whom, we need to get evaluation and how many papers we need to qualify in order to get canadian qualification.
Anyways, i got few relatives over there. I will speake to them about you, in case they come across some accouting job in their group circle.

Do you have any idea whether they consider ACCA qualification or not ? I am on the verge on completing ACCA Qualification from here.

Keep in touch. If possible, provide your personal email address.
Thanks,

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi B2C,

Thanks for your info on the current status.
I wish u all the best and keep up the spirit.Certainly you will turn it around.Sincere whole hearted efforts will never be in vain.

Regards

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
Landing on 8th April 2011 at Toronto
Hi B2C Thanks for posting your thoughts and revealing true scenario for accounting proffesionals
Im Sure your struggle will not go in the vain slowly but surely you will succeed.
As all of us well aware that Canada is a country of certification and to be successfull in canada surely we need some sort of licence like CGA ,Canadian CA etc.
B2C do you have idea what is job Market of US CPA in Canada Nowdays .I already pass my CPA exams last year and will be planning to do Canadian CA as US CPA have direct reciprocaty with Canadian CA but it will take some time to do it and before that i will be relying upon my CA&CPA qualification to find job.. could you please share some views..
Thanks

b2c said:
Hi Fellow Members,

The job scenario is not very good for accounting professionals. In my case, first employers were asking for Canadian Qualifications, to overcome this hurdle I got evaluation from CGA-ON and received Advance standing and now they are asking for the Canadian experience even for the entry level jobs. It has been more than two months, I am roaming around with resumes. To get entry level job, for a newly immigrant CA with 8 years of experience of International Accounting Firms and Financial institutions, the requirement of Canadian Experience is totally absurd.

Before landing, whenever I searched about the job market, recruitment consultants, jobs websites and everywhere I found penalty of accounting job at least in GTA area but after coming here I found all these peoples are just collecting resumes to create their data base to publish on their websites. There are many Indian practicing CAs, who are now CGAs, in GTA areas, I have approached to more than 150 firms (Both Indian and others) but they are also not willing to give an entry in their firms even at nominal salaries...... At least it could help us to get the Canadian experience but......

I know many CAs who have left their decent jobs for better future in Canada, they did not get any work after 3-4 months, they are now forced to do the survival jobs of salesmen, watchmen, packers etc.

There are Government Funded community Centers also, they provide guidance, to find jobs and update the education to new immigrants. But I was shocked to see that they take 15 -20 days' time for giving an appointment of 5-10 minutes just to tell you about the institutions/certifications that you need to get the jobs.

As per my understanding one need to have good circle and community association initially to enter into the job market. I have noticed community associations for Jews, Chinese really help their community's new immigrants in all the possible matters. Unfortunately, for Indians there is no such community/association.

I also met with very successful people of our fraternity. They are doing really well but in the matter of job nobody helps.

MY SUGGESTION TO ALL OF YOU IS, PLEASE GET YOUR CREDENTIAL EVALUATED BEFORE LANDING, IF POSSIBLE DON'T RESIGN FROM JOBS, TAKE LEAVES FROM THE OFFICE OR AT LEAST ONE OF PARTNER SHOULD HAVE JOB BACK IN INDIA, FINISH ALL YOU FINANCIAL COMMITMENTS IN INDIA, IMMEDIATELY AFTER LANDING START PROCESS OF GETTING THE DRIVING LICENSE, BE PREPARED TO REMAIN WITHOUT WORK FOR NORMAL TO ABNORMAL TIME FRAME AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, DURING STRUGGLE PERIOD FEEL LIKE OUR CA ARTICLESHIP DAYS :)

Please feel free to write me if you need any information.... I would be more than happy to share my experience.

I would also like to mention that I am not frustrated at all... and my determination of cracking the first job is intact.

With grace of god and your wishes I will make it happen soon.

b2c

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi setcanada,
Honestly speaking I have not felt any difference in treatment of foreign accounting degrees. For them the degrees are either Canadian or foreign. But I know some people who are doing well on the basis of just Indian CA and there would be people well placed on basis of just CPA as well. I think in the matter of job your luck, network and right timing play a critical role. Since, we are passing through the rescission, the things are tougher for us. I would advise you to complete your credential evaluation process for CICA before landing. It will provide a added weightage to your resume.
Good luck!

setcanada

Apr 12, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22/12/2009
Doc's Request.
12/02/10
AOR Received.
12/02/10
IELTS Request
12/02/10
File Transfer...
17/02/10
Med's Request
18 Dec 2010
Med's Done....
28 dec 2010
Passport Req..
18 Dec 2010
VISA ISSUED...
2nd March 2011
LANDED..........
Landing on 8th April 2011 at Toronto
Thanks b2C

b2c said:
Hi setcanada,
Honestly speaking I have not felt any difference in treatment of foreign accounting degrees. For them the degrees are either Canadian or foreign. But I know some people who are doing well on the basis of just Indian CA and there would be people well placed on basis of just CPA as well. I think in the matter of job your luck, network and right timing play a critical role. Since, we are passing through the rescission, the things are tougher for us. I would advise you to complete your credential evaluation process for CICA before landing. It will provide a added weightage to your resume.
Good luck!

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
b2c said:
Chintu Bhai... Thank you very much for your kind note. I know for sure we have a very good future in this country. It is just matter of time to get the first job. Regarding the CGA, you can get the complete information by clicking the following link

http://www.cga-ontario.org/Prospective_Students/Post_secondary/Internationally_Trained_Professionals/Application_Process.aspx

Regarding ACCA, they have MRA with CGA and after completing ACCA you may become CGA straightway. You may probably have to write Canadian Tax courses.

Baki saab maza ma...All the best.
It;s a very informative link. However when contacted through mail, they siad we shall apply for transfer credit straight away, whereas on site it is said that first we have to get our credebtials assessed. As you have already been down the road you can guide us. If you can elaborate in simple words the process and requirements to get registered for CGA, that will be really great.

b2c

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi SanjeevIndia,
The process Credit Transfer and Credential Evaluation is the same thing. Actually, accounting professionals can get their credential assessed from any of three authorized accounting bodies in Canada i.e CICA/CGA/CMA. We have to submit them Duly Filled Up Application, Transcripts, Certificate of Good Standing and Credit card details/DD. They take 15-20 days for sending the Transfer of Credit report. After obtaining the report we can go ahead for enrollment. Hope this will clarify the confusion. Please feel free to ask if you still have a doubt.
Good luck.

penpal

Sep 30, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Planning in Autumn of 2010
Hi B2C,

Do we have to get the credentials evaluated of the B.Com certficate also for enrolling with the CGA.Also let me know for landing a job have we get the credentials of CA course and B.Com evaluated.

Regards

b2c

Star Member
Sep 27, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. Sent transcripts of B.com and CA once for all.

penpal said:
Hi B2C,

Do we have to get the credentials evaluated of the B.Com certficate also for enrolling with the CGA.Also let me know for landing a job have we get the credentials of CA course and B.Com evaluated.

Regards

laklak

Nov 26, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
0111/1111
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08 Feb 2010
Doc's Request.
26 Mar 2010
AOR Received.
15 Apr 2010
IELTS Request
sent with docs on 08th April 2010
File Transfer...
30 Mar 2010
Med's Request
29th Mar 2011
Med's Done....
08th Apr 2011
Passport Req..
29th Mar 2011
hI b2c you are giving very valuable info all the best to you...cheers

b2c said:
Hi SanjeevIndia,
The process Credit Transfer and Credential Evaluation is the same thing. Actually, accounting professionals can get their credential assessed from any of three authorized accounting bodies in Canada i.e CICA/CGA/CMA. We have to submit them Duly Filled Up Application, Transcripts, Certificate of Good Standing and Credit card details/DD. They take 15-20 days for sending the Transfer of Credit report. After obtaining the report we can go ahead for enrollment. Hope this will clarify the confusion. Please feel free to ask if you still have a doubt.
Good luck.

r.roy

Star Member
Aug 22, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thanks for such valuable info B2C, May God bless you with a good job!

sanjeevindia

Jul 1, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
b2c said:
Hi SanjeevIndia,
Good luck.
Hello b2c

In how many exams we can get transfer credit? What is the expected time in which we can complete the CGA? Also is it necessary to work with a CGA for training or not?

Thanx in advance.