+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income Tax (spouse in Canada, inland application)

Lolopizzo

Feb 1, 2020
Hi I have a question about income tax.

My spouse came here on a tourist visa in September 2019. We got married in December 2019, we have since submitted a visa extension and submitted our inland application as well. He is currently here on implied status.

I am filing my income taxes and wondering what I am supposed to do regarding him. I changed my status on CRA account to married and will be filing my income tax as married. My husband currently has no SIN and has not worked a day in Canada.

He made $6500 in his home country last year before coming to Canada. Is he considered a resident or non resident, do we claim his income from his home country?

My accountant is confused on what to do, and I am looking on some direction to give her from anybody else who has been in this position.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
He does not need to file for income tax yet. He needs to wait to have status in Canada, which means, have a SIN.
You did OK filing as married. But for now, that's all that you will need to do.
Next year, probably he will have status and will need to file his taxes.
You can, and should apply for an open work permit together with his Permanent Resident application. He can get an open work permit while waiting.
and naturally, it would be good for him to find a job.

Lolopizzo

Feb 1, 2020
He does not need to file for income tax yet. He needs to wait to have status in Canada, which means, have a SIN.
You did OK filing as married. But for now, that's all that you will need to do.
Next year, probably he will have status and will need to file his taxes.
You can, and should apply for an open work permit together with his Permanent Resident application. He can get an open work permit while waiting.
and naturally, it would be good for him to find a job.
We have filed for an open work permit sent in with our sponsorship application. We just applied for the visa extension as a extra safeguard to not losing status while waiting for the application to begin to be processed. We sent in our application in March and are still waiting.

I haven’t filed my income taxes this year yet, my accountant is currently doing them and doesn’t know what to do. I know he doesn’t have to file himself but I do have to answer spousal questions on mine. I think they have to include my spouses net world income but say my spouse is a non resident for 2019.

Awesomeg

Mar 2, 2014
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb. 13/2014
Doc's Request.
24-07-2014
AOR Received.
19-03-2014
Med's Done....
27-01-2014....Remeds 13-03-15
Interview........
"Waived" In Process August 19-2014
Passport Req..
July 24-2014.
VISA ISSUED...
DM after almost 15 months of waiting, April 20/15
LANDED..........
15-05-2015 Finally... together...
You were married in December, therefore, you were single most of the year. You don't need to include your husband's income until he gets status in Canada. He has no income to declare since you guys got married. You don't need to report any of his income, as he had no income since your marriage. Good luck with your application.
At least you guys are together. Everything can be endure when you can support each other.