+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income tax filing

canadahabs

Aug 10, 2016
i came here mid 2012. only started working beginning 2013.
i filed for income taxes for 2013, 2014, 2015. and i received the notice of assessment for those 3 years.

Im about to apply for citizenship this month. so i filed for the 2012 income tax, since they need us to do that for 4 years.
CRA told me that the notice of assessment for the 2012 taxation year will be sent to me in November.

My question is: do i need to wait for the 2012 notice of assessment to be delivered, or just to fact of filing will make eligible?

thanks

march2016

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Does not matter when you started working. One must need to file taxes even if there is no income.

No need to wait for the 2012 notice of assessment to be delivered to apply for citizenship, just make a tick mark for that year, filing 2012 taxes should be enough, Just keep it for record incase they ask you later.

canadahabs

Aug 10, 2016
"Does not matter when you started working. One must need to file taxes even if there is no income"
yeah i got to know this a couple of months ago

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

canadahabs said:
"Does not matter when you started working. One must need to file taxes even if there is no income"
yeah i got to know this a couple of months ago
No that is incorrect. From CRA

You must file a return for 2015 if any of the following situations apply:

You have to pay tax for 2015.

We sent you a request to file a return.

You and your spouse or common-law partner elected to split pension income for 2015. See lines 115, 116, 129, and 210.

You received working income tax benefit (WITB) advance payments in 2015.

You disposed of capital property in 2015 (for example, if you sold real estate or shares) or you realized a taxable capital gain (for example, if a mutual fund or trust attributed income to you, or you are reporting a capital gains reserve you claimed on your 2014 return).

You have to repay any of your old age security or employment insurance benefits. See line 235.

You have not repaid all amounts withdrawn from your registered retirement savings plan (RRSP) under the Home Buyers’ Plan or the Lifelong Learning Plan. For more information, go to Home Buyers' Plan (HBP) or see Guide RC4112, Lifelong Learning Plan (LLP).

You have to contribute to the Canada Pension Plan (CPP). This can apply if for 2015 the total of your net self-employment income and pensionable employment income is more than $3,500. See line 222.

You are paying employment insurance premiums on self-employment and other eligible earnings. See lines 317 and 430.

So unless you fall into the above categories, you don't have to file a return. You lose out on credits, but that is your decision.

march2016

Star Member
Sep 14, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
in my view , Yes theoretically speaking it's not mandatory to file income tax if there is no income and nothing to repay. But CRA used to encourage people to file tax for various reasons. Especially incase of Citizenship application it can be one of proofs of residence for that year Filing a tax return is a good habit of a responsible citizen irrespective what the income situation is.