+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income level for sponsoring my wife

mariano5

Feb 23, 2022
I am a Canadian citizen who is planning to sponsor my American wife (we will get married in March) through outland sponsorship. I am self employed as a consultant and for 2021 I only made a little over 20k. In 2019 I made a little over 50k and 2020 about 34k. I didn't have any declared income in 2017 and 2018. Do you think this will be enough as far as income goes? I can also have my parents cosign the sponsorship, which may help with income stability?

Thanks!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am a Canadian citizen who is planning to sponsor my American wife (we will get married in March) through outland sponsorship. I am self employed as a consultant and for 2021 I only made a little over 20k. In 2019 I made a little over 50k and 2020 about 34k. I didn't have any declared income in 2017 and 2018. Do you think this will be enough as far as income goes? I can also have my parents cosign the sponsorship, which may help with income stability?

Thanks!
There is no fixed low income cut off for sponsoring your spouse. Parents cannot cosign a sponsorship. Some lives with parents and asked them to write a letter to show that the parents will provide housing and food. (mostly students or someone who just moved to Canada)

If you have any savings, you can show that too. You need to show IRCC that you can support both yourself and your spouse.
20k for 2021 is really low. Did you report all your consulting income (possible since COVID has impacted a lot of ppl)? If you have more income in 2022, you can update IRCC during the process as well. May be find part time job to increase your income in the coming year.

keys8014

Feb 4, 2021
our application: july 2021

i had a similar situation . only ~10,000 income 1 year before the application. (2020)

i wrote the reason (covid lay off + went out of country) in a separate piece of paper and showed them 4 years of CRA tax documents (instead of 1 year). i wrote in detail what happened and how i will support my spouse.

but at the time of application, i had a full time job (just started, no salary yet) and showed the letter of employment only. after 2 months, i sent a webform with income from the new job.

so chill and apply. you have to convince them and show them all the documents which will support your application.

btw, our application got approved few days ago and we already got the passport with stamp on it.

Reactions: YVR123

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thanks!
If you think your income will be low this year you need to start thinking about getting a part-time job to supplement your income.