+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Income exemption for Spousal Sponsorship

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
im-sponsoring said:
I would explain the situation. If you do not have any children, then you are exempt from the minimum necessary income. But I would include the explanation you wrote.
FYI, spouses AND dependents are financially exempt for this sponsorship. It's only if the dependents have dependents where LICO comes into effect.

courtneyls

Sep 27, 2009
Just to verify this...

I will be sponsoring my spouse who has a non-accompanying dependent child (he is 4). Will I need to provide documents that prove my financial resources, or will filling out the finances form be enough?

Thanks.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Financial exemption does NOT mean that you do not have to provide the documentation they request. You must provide the Option C printout, or, if it's not available, another document or statement showing income earned.

Is that clear now? Fill out the forms and provide the documents they ask for.

So in your case, the child is part of the financial exemption. Financial requirements would apply if this child had children of their own AND they were all accompanying in the application.

About your spouse, you realize that the non-accompanying child must be medically examined as well even though the child is not being considered for PR to Canada at this time.

courtneyls

Sep 27, 2009
Hi rjessome,

I'm sorry... I misunderstood... (I didn't realize we were talking about my spouse being exempt, not me. I know, stupid. That's why I was very confused.) I can get this document/whatever else is needed, I just wanted to be clear.

Yes, I understand that he must be medically examined as well. I contacted the 1-800 number and the CSR explained that portion to me.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No worries! It takes a couples of reads and a few questions to get this stuff straight. It's a common question on here.

Was reading some of your other posts. So sorry about the experience you had with CBSA. I've also seen that the land border guards "seem" to have a different attitude than those at the airport. Even when I'm crossing myself and I'm Canadian! It's the same job but obviously different working environment. I hope that your process for PR goes smoothly and quickly. Feel free to ask more questions even if you think they are "dumb". They're not. It's better to ask them now rather than make a mistake and pay for it later.

lovebajan

Star Member
Dec 6, 2009
Hello everyone...I am putting together my forms to sponsor my husband and came across this question like many of you. I eventually called a lawyer who informed me that I don't have to provide proof of income for the past 12 months as long as I fill out the form (Sponsor Questionnaire Imm 5540 question #7): Starting with your current employer, if applicable, give details of all employers you have worked with over the past five years...to be sure, I re-read the guide and called cic to confirm.
How to apply to sponsor
If you live in a province or territory other than Quebec or are living exclusively outside of Canada and intend to live in a province or territory other than Quebec upon your return, you must complete the following forms:
*the Application to Sponsor and Undertaking (Imm 1344A);
*the Sponsorship Evaluation (Imm 1344B; must also be signed by the person you want to sponsor). See instructions on how to complete the Sponsorhip Agreement for more details;
*the Sponsorship Evaluation (Imm 5481);
if the person you are sponsoring is your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner and he or she has dependent children, you will have to complete the financial evaluation form instead. To obtain this form contact our call centre and ask for kit Imm 5482 or download it from our web site.
but if you check their site and look up Imm5482 and read the guide it tells you if you are a Quebec resident to not complete this form
I hope this helps someone, good luck to all!!!