+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Inadmissible

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Time to push for a more serious look in that!! I live in BC...
You are right. For some reason, perhaps to free up court time, BC decided not to prosecute drinking/driving cases years ago. Instead, it implemented Motor Vehicle Act (MVA) amendments allowing for police officers to do "roadside screening" and to issue 90-day driving prohibitions. There are fair numbers that go down that road.

I have practiced law in this province, although never did much criminal. Defended a handful of drunk driving cases in my early days. While I have no direct involvement in the criminal law system of BC any longer, I still read (as part of my work) virtually every judgment from every BC court that comes out every week, and all Supreme Court of Canada decisions that had their genesis in BC. So I have a fair handle as to what's going on in the courts. I used to see a great many drunk driving prosecutions. Now, and for quite awhile, the only ones I see are where death or bodily harm are involved. Above, I mentioned turning up over 1100 cases. Most were for "ordinary" drunk driving offences. Most of those are from the years 1996-2007. I simply do not see them anymore.

What has taken the place of the drunk driving criminal cases are civil cases under the MVA. Someone suspended by a cop can apply for a review by the Superintendent of Motor Vehicles. A delegate can set the prohibition aside. If that fails, the next step for the driver is judicial review of the Superintendent's decision. Now, I see those cases every week.

Prosecuting a drunk driving case is, I suppose, a bit expensive and uses up police resources. If a cop stops a suspected drunk driver, that person must be detained and taken to a police station. A breathalyzer technician must be called in and the driver has to blow into the machine to provide samples 15 minutes apart. The prosecutions could be a pain, with a requirement to call into court the cop, sometimes the technician, etc. There would be arguments about how the samples were taken, correct solution being used in the machine, correct calibration, challenges to the technician's qualifications and on and on. Then in time, came the Charter, with a new host of Charter arguments available. Those cases could be hard-fought. I think BC has thrown in the towel and decided to keep all that stuff out of the criminal law machinery.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Very sure.

The link goes to a BC website that says: "Impaired driving is a criminal offence and there are serious consequences for driving while impaired." Of course, that will be the official party line. I would not expect the province to say that in BC it is seldom treated as a serious criminal offence nowadays.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I work as a paralegal in a law firm in BC, and we deal with DUI cases all the time. I would say that with a BAC of over 170, it is actually drunk driving (intoxicated), and the accused would have a very slim chance of walking away. However, if you get a caught a BAC below 0.08%, the chance of a getting a driving ban only would be much higher.

You can read about it here:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/driving-and-cycling/roadsafetybc/prohibitions/alcohol
I read about it there. It in no way derogates from my comments. Indeed, it reinforces them. Most of the discussion is about being handed a driving prohibition. The ones that I see in the case law are almost always of the 90-day variety. They are often contested on judicial review.

Forgive me, but you do not seem to have a firm grasp of the law in this area. You say a BAC of .170 is actually drunk driving. Well, the Criminal Code sets it much lower, at .08. The ASD does not provide a BAC reading in the FAIL range, do you agree? It's designed to tell when the sample is over .08. It's no more precise than that. At .170 you won't "walk away". You'll most likely get a 90-day IRP As for "caught with a BAC below .08", I would say few would suffer any consequence.

While we are bandying website links around, I'll join in. This site reflects my understanding of ASDs and their limitations.

https://vancouvercriminallaw.com/practice-areas/the-asd-how-it-works/

The Approved Screening Device commonly used at this time in BC is the Alco-Sensor FST, a device produced by Intoximeters of Saint Louis. The versions sold to Canadian police departments have simplified software to make it easier for Canadian police officers to understand the results. The Alco-Sensor FST used in British Columbia indicates “Warn” between 60mg and 99mg in 100ml and “Fail” if over 100mg in 100ml. Below 59mg it displays the actual BAC.

Finally, let me ask, are the lawyers in your firm regularly appearing in our courts defending Criminal Code charges for what you might call "garden variety" impaired driving cases?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I am in shock to see the law not being carried out. (not sure what is the legal term)
I think Kaibigan is looking at historic data and it's not reflecting the crime being persecuted.
Yes, the historic data I have to hand is up-to-date to last week. It shows, as it has for a long time, that drunk driving cases are not ending up in criminal courts at anywhere near the rate seen in years past.

rcincanada2019

Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
What are my chances of getting a conditional charge you think? I cannot be convicted. I cannot get deported as i am refugee seeking asylum here. I have PR but if i get deported my life will be in danger.
Did you ever thought of the lives you endangered when you were driving under the influence?

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
It's sometimes the `luck of the draw'!

If the person is stopped at a road block, versus being signled out by a road officer for suspicion of driving impaired, the chances of them getting an IRP (Immediate Roadside Prohibition) seem fairly good. it is the IRP that is a slap on the wrist.
https://bcdrivinglawyers.com/driving-prohibitions/immediate-roadside-prohibitions-irp/
"The laying of Criminal Charges has been virtually eliminated in BC when a driver blows into an ASD. Although the punishment is almost the same and the effect is more stigmatizing, Criminal Charges are now rare in most drinking-driving situations. Immediate Roadside Prohibitions (IRP) are the most common DUIs in BC."
Thank you for your post and link to what other lawyers have said, supporting my view that times have changed in BC and criminal charges are seldom seen in these cases anymore. A criminal conviction can be a real punishment and something to be avoid. It can impact matters such as employment, travel, immigration, etc. A 90-day driving prohibition has little lasting effect and hardly instills fear.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Last friday i got charged with operating while impaired 320.14(1)a and ipaired over 80 320.14(1)b on 22nd april 2024. I have PR but im scared i might get deported. My bac reading were 170 and 180. My first court appearance is on april 5th.
what should i do to avoid conviction?
What’s more concerning is that you’ve displayed zero remorse …. Zilch

All about you avoiding punishment
Protecting yourself. Avoiding deportation

It’s all about how to protect yourself

What if you killed someone ?
Your statements pretty well sums everything up