+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Toronto, going to the border...

colmforest

Sep 2, 2009
Hey everyone,

So I've got my LMO and I'm going to try and go to the border to get my new work permit on the spot. I'm in Toronto, does anyone know I do this? Is it literally just going across the Rainbow bridge at Niagara Falls and then walking back across and getting our work permit sorted at the offices there? Does anyone know where I could find the opening times for the office?

Thanks,

Colm

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/contact/listing/offices/office1022-e.html 24 hours, 7 days a week

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yeah, just cross and head right back. I've done this 3 times (twice for work permits and once for PR). Simple and painless.

colmforest said:
Hey everyone,

So I've got my LMO and I'm going to try and go to the border to get my new work permit on the spot. I'm in Toronto, does anyone know I do this? Is it literally just going across the Rainbow bridge at Niagara Falls and then walking back across and getting our work permit sorted at the offices there? Does anyone know where I could find the opening times for the office?

Thanks,

Colm

hi ace

Dec 15, 2009
?
hi colm, i don't carry a us visa would that be a problem to get my work permit in port of entry? tnx

colmforest said:
Hey everyone,

Thanks,

Colm

hi ace

Dec 15, 2009
hi there! i don't carry a us visa, would that be problem to cross the border to get my work permit?

Karlshammar said:
Yeah, just cross and head right back. I've done this 3 times (twice for work permits and once for PR). Simple and painless.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, not at all. The Americans will give you an administrative refusal and send you right back across the border.

Don't worry about the word "refusal"; it is administrative only and will not be held against you on future attempts to enter.

hi ace said:
hi there! i don't carry a us visa, would that be problem to cross the border to get my work permit?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
hi ace said:
As long as your TRV (if you are from a country whose citizens need visa to enter Canada) is still valid and you don't need medicals you can get your work permit at the border.

hi ace

Dec 15, 2009
hey job seeker, thank you for th info.. it helps a lot!!

job_seeker said:
As long as your TRV (if you are from a country whose citizens need visa to enter Canada) is still valid and you don't need medicals you can get your work permit at the border.

hi ace

Dec 15, 2009
what is administrative refusal? so would they allow me to just get my work permit? thank you for the reply

Karlshammar said:
No, not at all. The Americans will give you an administrative refusal and send you right back across the border.

Don't worry about the word "refusal"; it is administrative only and will not be held against you on future attempts to enter.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will give you a paper to show that you were at the U.S. border and send you right around back to Canada.

hi ace said:
what is administrative refusal? so would they allow me to just get my work permit? thank you for the reply

cutex79

May 26, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Karlshammar said:
They will give you a paper to show that you were at the U.S. border and send you right around back to Canada.
hi..just wondering on how to go about on processing to get work permit, if going to the US without US visa and to get work permit at the boarder....do we have to go to the US embassy to get a single entry visa or just go to boarder without a visa then what will happen....just wanna ask on how u did it ? do u have a US visa? thanks...

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You just go to the border, and when you stop for the U.S. border officer tell them that you have been approved for a Canadian work permit and are going right back. They will check your passport and papers, then write a note for you for the Canadian border officers, and send you right back.

You don't need a visa for this.

cutex79 said:
hi..just wondering on how to go about on processing to get work permit, if going to the US without US visa and to get work permit at the boarder....do we have to go to the US embassy to get a single entry visa or just go to boarder without a visa then what will happen....just wanna ask on how u did it ? do u have a US visa? thanks...

colmforest

Sep 2, 2009
Thanks y'all

Turns out I can't go down there yet...LMO was rejected! A very statistical reason was given, I'm a HR professional and they said there's loads of HR professionals on EI at the moment. We're applying for another one though, and hitting implied status so am not going to risk going down to the border...I hear they're more strict there?