+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In need of some assistance....

CDDC87

Jan 20, 2011
Apologies if this is in the wrong board.

Before I ask my questions, here's a little bit of background info.

I live in Florida, where I work an hourly manager position (recently officially promoted but doing the work for at least 3/4 of a year) at Burger King Corp. My boyfriend lives in Newfoundland, where he's going to school and working for a privately owned construction business. We're both 23, a few months apart. We met each other a year or so ago on an online forum site. We eventually decided to date, and last May I got my passport and went up to visit him. We're trying to plan for me to come up sometime again when he gets a break between classes.

We've both decided that we want to be together, and that it would be better for both of us if I moved up there. We've become discouraged, however, because every time we start to do research on the immigration process, we run into dead ends, such as he doesn't work in a position that makes enough money to sponsor me as a conjugal partner, or that getting married won't automatically make me a citizen.

I have the number for the Human Resources representative for my job, to speak to her about getting an international transfer, but at the moment her and I are playing phone tag because she's on her rounds to the stores to make sure everything's running smoothly, but regardless I'd like to be more informed before I talk to her about anything.

There's also the option of me getting a student visa, but I'm in the dark about that as well, especially since I dropped out of college in a manner of speaking and don't have near enough money for tuition, etc.

My questions are, what would be the best method for me to move there and apply for permanent residency? Will having a manager position, be it hourly, at a corporate fast food restaurant increase my chances of being approved for a work visa? I've been through thousands of websites, so I'd prefer straight-up answers to simply links to websites, but any and all information and advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

lonely_wife

Dec 21, 2010
Sudbury, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2010
Doc's Request.
03-11-2010
AOR Received.
03-11-2010
File Transfer...
06-07-2010
Med's Request
06-07-2010
Med's Done....
09-07-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
07-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-04-2011
LANDED..........
19-06-2011
Hi!!! First of all I would like to let you know that there is no financial requirement for spousal sponsorship and also to be able to sponsor as conjugual partner you have to be able to prove that you lived with your partner for 1 year. He could also apply as spousal if you guys get married but you are you would not be a citizen but you would be eligible to become a permanent resident if he would marry you now you would have to prove that you have to undergo medical examination and criminal check. You would also have to build a case proving to Immigration Canada that the relationship is genuine. I am not so familiar with the work visa but I know that before a company can hire someone from outside of the country they must prove that they cannot get a canadian in that job... Now I am not sure if this applies as this would be a transfer of position... Maybe perhaps ask the questions on skilled worker forum maybe they could offer you some better advise when it comes to work visas... I think that marriage is definatly maybe the easiest way and fastest way as long as you evidence that the relationship is genuine... Good luck and if you need more info you can msg me...

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right, there is no financial requirement to sponsor a spouse/common-law/conjugal partner but the conjugal partner class is actually reserved for people who can not marry or live together for whatever reason and that is almost never accepted for people from the US who can go to Canada without needing a visit visa and live together like that. It is best just to get married and have him sponsor you. You will get your PR and be able to live and work in Canada without a problem. You can apply for citizenship after you live in Canada for 3 years as a PR.

Go to the Family class forum for more info. It is here: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/family-class-sponsorship-b5.0/