+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada since January, Still no Job

sam_172452

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Everyone,

I've been in Canada since January 23. I'm an Environmental Engineer that's got 4 years work experience with a global firm in both the UK and UAE. I'm currently in Ontario and im struggling to find any work. It's been a real headache. I would really appreciate if anyone has any sort of advice for me? I really like living here and i do not regret my decision but the job hunt is getting me stressed!

Asivad Anac

VIP Member
May 27, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Probably because of the niche experience/sector. Have you reached out to provincial/federal support organizations in your location? These places wouldn't immediately get you a job but they are excellent resources to start building your professional network. Also be prepared to get a professional job that taps into your transferable skills instead of trying to match your past experience directly at your very 1st Canadian job - not that it can't happen but chances are that it will take longer to do that and you'll feel distressed all that time. Being depressed is very recursive so you'll need to consciously break out of that vicious circle. Hang in there and stay motivated - you aren't alone in this.

All the best!

c4luu

Nov 12, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure if this will help but I saw this job fair coming up at the end of April from Newcomers Canada in Toronto, Vancouver, and Edmonton.

sam_172452

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
KoRnnn said:
did u get any interview? or they just totally ignore your resume?
i've managed to get three interviews since January. In one occasion the job was cancelled after they interviewed the candidates. In the other two occasions, they went with another candidate :(

sam_172452

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Probably because of the niche experience/sector. Have you reached out to provincial/federal support organizations in your location? These places wouldn't immediately get you a job but they are excellent resources to start building your professional network. Also be prepared to get a professional job that taps into your transferable skills instead of trying to match your past experience directly at your very 1st Canadian job - not that it can't happen but chances are that it will take longer to do that and you'll feel distressed all that time. Being depressed is very recursive so you'll need to consciously break out of that vicious circle. Hang in there and stay motivated - you aren't alone in this.

All the best!
Hello Asivad,

i agree with you i think my nice sector is impacting this. However, i want to share with you my experience with the support in my province.

I went to ACCESS Employment in Toronto. A "Career Advisor" there asked to see my cover letter and resume. She took a good read and went like "Oh wow they are excellent! everything is great. I dont think i can help you much. Anyways im off to have lunch now. Bye"

It was such a disheartening experience. Not sure if their level of support is always like this or i just had bad experience with them.

Ottawa-applicant

Apr 16, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

Not sure if this will help you, but try applying for agencies. Hiring agencies are another way of getting job quickly. Notes that that deducted some percentage of your paycheck, that’s the only downside, but at least you will have the Canadian experience and later you can switch whenever you want.

Good luck

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
I would also recommend an immigrant settlement agency in your area. they are a valuable resource that can refer you to other agencies that help newcomers get jobs. Specifically LASI World Skills is great. These organizations may have mentorship programs that help professionals connect to networks in their area. Also, if you are in Ontario, go to service ontario to sign up for their work-placement workshops and meet with a counselor to help get your started.

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Search for jobs through Google, Indeed.ca and companies websites.

Kovurs

Star Member
Jul 20, 2014
India
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO to WVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Dec-2014
Doc's Request.
Sent with Medicals
Nomination.....
20-Feb-2015 (PER)
AOR Received.
13-Mar-2015 (email from WVO)
IELTS Request
Submitted along with the application
File Transfer...
20-Feb-2015 (NDVO to WVO)
Med's Request
13-May-2015
Med's Done....
28-May-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-Sep-2015
VISA ISSUED...
10-Sep-2015
LANDED..........
Nov 2015
sam_172452 said:
Hello Everyone,

I've been in Canada since January 23. I'm an Environmental Engineer that's got 4 years work experience with a global firm in both the UK and UAE. I'm currently in Ontario and im struggling to find any work. It's been a real headache. I would really appreciate if anyone has any sort of advice for me? I really like living here and i do not regret my decision but the job hunt is getting me stressed!
Hi Buddy,

Did you try Brian J Flemming / St. Gabriel Adult Learning Center (Mississauga) who provides Co-Op?
I am sill at square one since I landed but I missed the above program and planning to register for next session..
Try that..or speak to concerned person from that Institute..

Cheers,

nope

Oct 3, 2015
sam_172452 said:
Hello Asivad,

i agree with you i think my nice sector is impacting this. However, i want to share with you my experience with the support in my province.

I went to ACCESS Employment in Toronto. A "Career Advisor" there asked to see my cover letter and resume. She took a good read and went like "Oh wow they are excellent! everything is great. I dont think i can help you much. Anyways im off to have lunch now. Bye"

It was such a disheartening experience. Not sure if their level of support is always like this or i just had bad experience with them.
Yep -- the 'supports' that immigrant services have is at the level of formatting your resume. If your resume is not in a professional style, they will help you. If you are an environmental engineer who can't find a job because the economy is terrible and Canadians won't hire foreigners, then they'll recommend you ask for 'informational interviews'.

My suggestion -- find a minimum wage job that keeps you from depleting your savings, and settle down for the long haul. It took me two years to find a professional job in Canada.

sam_172452

Jun 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nope said:
Yep -- the 'supports' that immigrant services have is at the level of formatting your resume. If your resume is not in a professional style, they will help you. If you are an environmental engineer who can't find a job because the economy is terrible and Canadians won't hire foreigners, then they'll recommend you ask for 'informational interviews'.

My suggestion -- find a minimum wage job that keeps you from depleting your savings, and settle down for the long haul. It took me two years to find a professional job in Canada.
Oh wow two years!!

Yes, the economy in my field seems to be doing quite bad at the moment. What sort of survival jobs did you pursue before finding a professional job in your industry?

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
Don't settle for a survival job. Concentrate on finding a job, 8 hours a day. It is a full time commitment until you are there. Yes, a survival job might help you using less money, but you might commit professional suicide. Once you work for McDonalds or pump gas at Shell, it becomes very hard to go back to your old job. Employers will see, ahh..McDonalds and suddenly your Engineer degree is out the window.

Knock on doors, email people, use linkedin, go to networking groups, register with all the online job portals, open a facebook page where you look for a job, talk to as many people a day as possible, mention to anyone you are looking for a suitable position.
It is hard and not easy, but not impossible, stay focused and do it! Every day, religiously!

Reactions: JoyceP

nope

Oct 3, 2015
foodie69 said:
Don't settle for a survival job. Concentrate on finding a job, 8 hours a day. It is a full time commitment until you are there. Yes, a survival job might help you using less money, but you might commit professional suicide. Once you work for McDonalds or pump gas at Shell, it becomes very hard to go back to your old job. Employers will see, ahh..McDonalds and suddenly your Engineer degree is out the window.

Knock on doors, email people, use linkedin, go to networking groups, register with all the online job portals, open a facebook page where you look for a job, talk to as many people a day as possible, mention to anyone you are looking for a suitable position.
It is hard and not easy, but not impossible, stay focused and do it! Every day, religiously!
This reflects a rather idealized image of the job search . . . Here are some things to consider as well:

- Canada is not a large country, and one can quickly go through the professional resources in a single area

- Canadians are somewhat less amenable than Americans to hiring people at a distance (at least in my experience), and this becomes even more pronounced when you are applying for jobs for which you are under or overqualified

- when you are doing this, you are spending your time on very low-efficiency approaches. The chance of a Facebook page being successful in your job search is not high; but the chance of you becoming depressed from spending too much time on the Internet is significantly greater.

- this approach is quite risky, because it identifies 'success' as 'a professional, middle-class job'. Setting expectations high is dangerous -- for most immigrants, 'success' should begin as getting settled in the new country, finding a life that is at least secure. Doing nothing but apply for jobs is not secure -- you have no money coming in! Every week makes you more anxious, it is very difficult to live that way.

- there are a huge number of quasi-useless approaches people are told to employ. The 'informational interview', in which the HR person stares at you and you try to explain what you are doing there when there is no job to apply for; 'volunteering', which can be good in restricted situations but usually is not; etc.

Here is a more realistic plan for finding a professional job.

1) Get any job at all, make sure that your life is stable. Why is this good? Because, frankly, there are not enough jobs for you to spend 8 hours a day applying for them. Having a few hours in the evening will force you to use your time efficiently, and choose quality opportunities. In the meantime, you settle into Canada -- you've landed, you're working, and your family is getting adjusted. Money is not great, but it is sufficient to survive.

2) Once you have that job, find something, anything, that you can do part-time, or as a volunteer, or as a contractor, that is remotely related to your professional specialty. Do a great job on this. Give it space on your resume.

3) Use that to find a full-time job -- anything -- in your professional area.

4) The next job you accept will be the one you want. Now that you are somewhat established, you have a greater ability to apply to jobs at a distance; your applications are more compelling because you are already settled where you are, which is evidence that you truly want the job you are applying for. If I am in Vancouver and have no job, and I apply for a job I am overqualified for in Regina, who will believe that I want to stay there?

And what do you do when you are applying for a professional job as a clerk at Safeway? You tell the person "I came to Canada to work -- that was the first job I found, and it supports my family. It's fine for now, but I don't want to do it forever." Here in Canada there is not the same prejudice against labour as there is in other parts of the world -- you are not ruined by working in a 'low status' job. Ultimately, coming to Canada is about success; and refusing to work unless you get the job that you want is a very restricted vision of 'success'. I think it is better to be busy with work -- which is Canadian experience, even if it is simple work -- than to spend 6 months or a year with no job at all. THAT is far more damaging on a resume than working in a grocery store -- where is the evidence that you even can work, in that case?

Obviously, your strategy should vary depending on the number of jobs in your professional area, and their geographic dispersion. My education is in public health, in which jobs are distributed fairly evenly, but thinly, across Canada, and there are significant local networks that are difficult to enter as an outsider.