+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

In Canada on TWP - Do I need LMIA for EE

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
Hi forum members,

I work in Canada as TWP that I got with LMO. I have valid visa for another year and would like to apply for EE.
Now I am confused about the part where CIC states that if you have valid job offer you will get invitation.
On my work contract it says that I am permanent worker even though I have TWP and it is not a problem for me to get another letter from my employee saying that once I got PR they will offer me permanent job offer... even though I already have one... but for the sake of regularity I can get another.

My question is: Do I need LMIA?

When EE will start, I guess there will be option to choose whether you have valid job offer? Do I have one now by the CIC standard?

I am sure many who work on TWP will be in the same pool. Do we need to ask our employers to start the LMIA process?

domnicj

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Hi,

I was reading about work permits the other day, and I understood this.

If you have a open work-permit you do not need LMIA from the employer, So if I am going to apply under EE and I have a open work permit, I would not require a LMIA. But, If I was a foreign worker, With a Temporary work permit, I would require a LMIA.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
amro375 said:
I work in Canada as TWP that I got with LMO. I have valid visa for another year and would like to apply for EE.
Now I am confused about the part where CIC states that if you have valid job offer you will get invitation.
On my work contract it says that I am permanent worker even though I have TWP and it is not a problem for me to get another letter from my employee saying that once I got PR they will offer me permanent job offer... even though I already have one... but for the sake of regularity I can get another.

My question is: Do I need LMIA?

When EE will start, I guess there will be option to choose whether you have valid job offer? Do I have one now by the CIC standard?

I am sure many who work on TWP will be in the same pool. Do we need to ask our employers to start the LMIA process?
EE is a pre-screening prior to applying for one of the existing economic immigration programs. Currently, the arranged employment stream is under the Federal Skilled Workers program, and will probably remain. You already have an LMO-confirmed work permit that is valid for another year, so you probably wouldn't have to get another LMIA (new name for LMO).
Won't know for sure about anything until the program details are released, tho.

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
My logic says that because my work permit is valid for another year and hence the LMO I have in a way is valid of another year because I've got my TWP because of that LMO.

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
domnicj said:
Hi,

I was reading about work permits the other day, and I understood this.

If you have a open work-permit you do not need LMIA from the employer, So if I am going to apply under EE and I have a open work permit, I would not require a LMIA. But, If I was a foreign worker, With a Temporary work permit, I would require a LMIA.
How do you get to this conclusion?
I have closed work permit, but what would that require LMIA and if I had open work permit that would not require LMIA.

domnicj

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
amro375 said:
How do you get to this conclusion?
I have closed work permit, but what would that require LMIA and if I had open work permit that would not require LMIA.
Its just a assumption, and what i read clearly that open work-permit holder do not need any additional document from their employers.
But, If you leave your current job and find a another job do you need a LMIA?

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
Well you you've got visa by the means of LMIA then you have closed work permit and you are not allowed to work for another employer. In order to work for different company you need new LMIA from that company.

domnicj

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
amro375 said:
Well you you've got visa by the means of LMIA then you have closed work permit and you are not allowed to work for another employer. In order to work for different company you need new LMIA from that company.
So, what your saying is, If you have a open work-permit you don't need a LMIA, right!

amro375

Star Member
Nov 3, 2014
I don't know. That's why I started this topic.
Was hoping that someone might have more information.

domnicj

Star Member
Mar 9, 2012
Your kinda answered your question, But to be sure about it, we should just wait till Jan 2015 and see what the new rules will look like.