+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Importing Car (no title) to canada from US

Simon123

Jun 4, 2009
USA
Hi all,

I know there was a detailed thread on how to import your car from Us to canada but cannt find it.

my first question regards to this will be : I do not have the title as the loan company owns it. Mine is an expensive car so i cannot pay all at once .. what should i do in this case.

rest please someone send me the link of the thread with all information about importing my car to Canada from NJ

Thank you

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
You cannot even declare the car as goods to follow if don't have a title. If you don't have a title it is not your car. You cannot import or declare in goods to follow. Sorry about the bad news.

May be you can try whether you can get another type of loan or cash advance that can pay off your car loan so that you can get the title.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Kumbu is on the right track but not quite correct. The easiest way to import is to have a title in your name. If your vehicle's title is still held by your lender, then they must agree in writing to let you export the vehicle to Canada. From what I've read, most lenders are unwilling to sign such an agreement since they have no legal means of repossessing the car should you default on the loan. I suggest you ask. You might also consider leaving the car in the US (but listing it on your goods to follow!) and bringing it over when it is paid off.

If written a detailed post describing the steps and costs I incurred importing my vehicle. I'll be glad to repost or PM you if you can't find it.

Allison

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
If you have a car that is fully paid and would like to import it to Canada, then how difficult is the process.
I found a company that takes your car from where you are to where you want to go and even take some more money to get it custom cleared. How safe is this route?
If anyone has ever done it then your inputs will be really valuable for me.
Thanks

rilov

Star Member
May 27, 2010
I imported my car from USA to Canada.. process is very easy.. If you have loan on the Car.. Get a letter from your bank and letter should address to the US customs with the permission for import
(You need to talk to the right people in the bank and let them know your exact situation)..If the bank is not providing the letter .. then take your Car to Canada with out importing it ( you can do that ..they will not ask anything ..you just need to show your registration)
and once you are in Canada ..contact a Local bank and transfer your Loan ( payoff the US Loan)
Once you pay off get the title from your bank and then you need to go the US customs and get the import stamp on the title and show the title to the Canadian customs and they will do the documentation for import a

In my case i fought with my Bank and finally they gave the permission letter and I mailed permission letter with copy of the original title to the US customs just 72 hour before crossing the border...
Process is very easy...

Simon123

Jun 4, 2009
USA
Thanks everyone

got some ideas. Will start with talking to the bank first. Hope they give the letter else will consider rilov's second option ::)

one

rilov said:
I imported my car from USA to Canada.. process is very easy.. If you have loan on the Car.. Get a letter from your bank and letter should address to the US customs with the permission for import
(You need to talk to the right people in the bank and let them know your exact situation)..If the bank is not providing the letter .. then take your Car to Canada with out importing it ( you can do that ..they will not ask anything ..you just need to show your registration)
and once you are in Canada ..contact a Local bank and transfer your Loan ( payoff the US Loan)
Once you pay off get the title from your bank and then you need to go the US customs and get the import stamp on the title and show the title to the Canadian customs and they will do the documentation for import a

In my case i fought with my Bank and finally they gave the permission letter and I mailed permission letter with copy of the original title to the US customs just 72 hour before crossing the border...
Process is very easy...

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Some states don't issue titles for certain vehicles. Not having a title is not necessarily a bar to importing it. You are going to have to do some research to see what is acceptable to both US CBP and CBSA. Do you have a bill of sale? Any other docs? You may have to get some kind of affidavit.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
links18 said:
Some states don't issue titles for certain vehicles. Not having a title is not necessarily a bar to importing it. You are going to have to do some research to see what is acceptable to both US CBP and CBSA. Do you have a bill of sale? Any other docs? You may have to get some kind of affidavit.
Didn't see that the loan company owns the title. In that case, you will have to either get permission from them to export it from the U.S. (unlikely); refinance with someone who will let you export it (might be just as unlikely); pay off the car note with some kind of unsecured loan or sell the car.

Jan 6, 2014
Hi, this site is really useful!
So I am running into this issue, I got a urgent call to move temporarily to Montreal ( about 8 more months here) for work, I left my car in LA cause I was waiting for my car title to arrive, needless to say, DMV never sent it or got lost in the post office, but I have paid in full my car, got the paper work to prove that and the car is on my name, but no car title, can I still bring it over??

( I even re did the paperwork sent it AGAIN, but still, its useless with california DMV )

Many thanks
and happy 2014!

Steph :D

Johnny Rod

Feb 4, 2024
Hi, did you guys were able to import a car to Canada? I need to know if the border officer will let me fix the Dayrunning lights in Canada or do i have to fix them before crossing?