Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
I'm pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do. I am a permanent resident. At the time of my landing, I put my 2005 jeep liberty down as a good to follow. The reason I didn't import it at that time is because I told the border agent I was planning on selling my vehicle in Wisconsin, which I intended on doing when I returned to visit, but other circumstances prevented me from having the time to do so. I would still like to sell it and buy another used vehicle with better fuel efficiency. To trade-in the car here in Ontario, it first has to be imported. My questions are these: Would it be wiser for me to import the car and then trade it in here in Ontario? Or would it be better to trade it in Buffalo, NY, and then import the car I will have just purchased in Buffalo? I have gone to the RIV site and the CBSA site to get some answers, but am getting confused. My concerns are what would be more cost effective. I'm planning on purchasing a used car for $8000 and my 2005 Jeep trade in is worth about $5000. I understand that no matter what, I will have to pay $100 for the A/C in the vehicle and $195 + GST and HST to register a vehicle with RIV. The CBSA site also shows a $1000 excise tax on green levy and a duty charge, plus GST.
From my understanding, since I declared it as a good to follow at my landing, I would not have to pay the duty. Is this correct? Is there a green levy tax for my 2005 Jeep? Would I have to pay the GST to the CBSA for my jeep? If not, I imagine I would have to pay these duties and taxes if I brought a different car in from Buffalo. Taxes in NY state are in the high 8% range, whereas here they are roughly 13%. To purchase a $8000 vehicle in Ontario would cost me $400 more in taxes. I would like it if I didn't have to pay that much more here, but if it would cost me more to import a different vehicle from Buffalo, compared to my jeep that is on the landing record, well then I will buy a vehicle here instead. I am sorry for such a long explanation and questioning, but I want to be thorough. I'm not even sure if this will make sense to you readers, so please ask me if you have any questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! My stickers on my license plate are going to expire in 3 weeks and I need to find a car quickly! Cheers!

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need like a team of financial and marketing analysts to answer your questions :) But anyways, few things to keep in mind:

1. In your case, you cannot sell or trade in an imported vehicle for one year after the date of importation. If you do, then you will have to pay the taxes and duties you were exempt from.

2. Cars in Canada are more expensive than the US in general but when it comes to used cars, its all bargains, so you may get the same car in Canada cheaper, same price, or more expensive than the US. Do the search and compare prices between US and Canada for the car you want to own.

3. The only fee you have to pay when you import the vehicle is the RIV fee. You may also have to pay for modifications if required. And then when you register it in the province you may have to pay the safety test fee and registration of course.

The best way to get answers for your import process is to call RIV. They are helpful.

elkan

Star Member
Sep 6, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-09-2010
AOR Received.
23-11-2010
Passport Req..
13-05-2011
Thanks for the info. I wish I would have imported it sooner now. Cheers!

canada1234

VIP Member
Jan 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Dec 2012
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t73751.0.html