App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
I just landed and imported my car. Here are the steps I went through and wanted to share them with you.

Before you leave, make sure you have your original title, sales receipt and recall clearance letter. I went to an authorized GM dealer and asked for the letter. Have your VIN available.

Fax the original title to the US customs where you will leave the US. You must fax the title 72 hrs in advance. Make sure you bring an extra copy of the title and the transmit proving you did fax the title. Also, make sure they service exports at the time you will cross the border (usually open between 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM). I crossed at midnight and had to wait forever to get the export cleared.

Once you have landed and sent to Canada Customs make sure you have all the papers in order. The easier it is for the officer the better for you… The will ask for the above docs and your landing papers. You must give them an address (temporary or permanent – it doesn’t matter).

Canadian customs will give you a copy of your Form 1 which you need to keep in the car. It serves as your temporary registration. I had Allstate auto insurance in the US and transferred my auto insurance to Allstate Canada the next business day. Very easy process, but expensive – but at least I was driving legally…

I paid the RIV fee on-line next day and faxed them my recall clearance letter (Form 1 has all the information you need). 24 hrs later RIV emailed me the Federal Inspection (case number and Form 1 number is the same). I took my Form 1 and Federal Inspection form the Canadian Tire and had the car inspected. As I had no recalls and metric odometer all I passed. This service was free of charge. I also had to do e-test and safety test.

Canadian Tire faxed RIV the inspection form and I will now take the car to get it register in the province I live (I don’t foresee any issues… and if there are I will let you know…)

C

cchabert

Very good information thank you! Which province did you land?

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
C

cchabert

Thank you and sorry I forgot to ask you if have to do any special modification to the car? I have a 2003 Saturn Ion so your advice to calling GM was great.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
No, I didn't have to do any modifications to the car. As my odometer shows both Miles & Kilometers and I have no recalls. If your odometer is Miles only you will have to change to Kilometer. All the things they will check for is on the inspection form.

C

cchabert

Thank you again, congratulations again. have a great new live.

JM

Sep 8, 2008
Does anyone know how much it would cost to import to Canada? Getting daytime runnning lamps installed?..?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need daytime running lamps? I have never heard that. I drive with my headlights on all the time because I am used to it, law from old country. Even though you don't see better, it means that other people see you better, both other drivers and pedestrians. There are a lot of people here that don't drive with lights though.

Alberta drivers handbook at http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType45/Production/basichanbookmay08.pdf says on page 100 that you must have your lights on from 1 hour after sunset to 1 hour before sunrise or at other times when your visibility is less than 150 metres.

For anybody who might be moving to AB, this page http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/531.htm has more than one drivers handbook for different types of licensing such as motorcycle, professional drivers etc. It might be a good idea to brush up on the traffic law and find out if anything is different.

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
You will need daytime running lights - it will be on your federal inspection form from RIV.