+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Import Car from U.S to Canada !!!!

plank

Feb 21, 2008
Hi

Previously I saw on several forums that we cannot take car from U.S to Canada if there is a lien. However I came across couple of sites where it was mentioned that If I get an letter from the financier that it is ok to export the car to Canada, there may not be any problem.
Also I checked with my bank and they said that they may not have any problem with such process. Could some one guide/assist me or throw some light on this issue. Any suggestions/help is highly appreciated

Thanks a lot

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

plank said:
Hi

Previously I saw on several forums that we cannot take car from U.S to Canada if there is a lien. However I came across couple of sites where it was mentioned that If I get an letter from the financier that it is ok to export the car to Canada, there may not be any problem.
Also I checked with my bank and they said that they may not have any problem with such process. Could some one guide/assist me or throw some light on this issue. Any suggestions/help is highly appreciated

Thanks a lot
Here is what the US site states:

Documentation required

1. For U.S. Titled Vehicles

1. Vehicles issued an original certificate of title. For used, self-propelled vehicles issued, by any jurisdiction in the United States, a Certificate of Title or a Salvage Title that remains in force, the owner must provide to Customs the original Certificate of Title or a Certified Copy of the Certificate of Title and two complete copies of the original Certificate of Title or the Certified Copy of the original.

2. Where title evidences third-party ownership/claims. If the used, self-propelled vehicle is leased or a recorded lien exists in the U.S., in addition to complying with paragraph (b)(1)(i) of this section, the provisional owner must provide to Customs a separate writing from the third-party-in interest which expressly provides that the subject vehicle may be exported. This writing must be on the third-party's letterhead paper and contain a complete description of the vehicle including the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), the name of the owner or lienholder of the leased vehicle, and the telephone numbers at which that owner or lienholder may be contacted and must bear an original signature of the third-party and state the date it was signed.

Your bank says MAY, probably not since once the vehicle is in Canada, they won't be able to seize their asset if you default.

PMM

willostj

Star Member
Dec 20, 2006
PMM is correct. If there is a lien on the vehicle you will need both the original title and the permission letter(good luck with this). I had the same issue recently and had to just pay off the loan in order to export my truck.

C

cchabert

You can't win all the times, I'm going to return my minivan, sorry GMAC