+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Implied status counts towards CEC?

pablo_cv4

Nov 24, 2014
Hi everyone, I have a question:

I worked for a while under implied status (my application was ultimately refused, it's a long story), does my time working under Implied Status count towards CEC?

kyogesh

Apr 13, 2014
Ooh was it refused because they did not consider implied status? This is a grey area as they do not mention anything about it on the website.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
pablo_cv4 said:
I worked for a while under implied status (my application was ultimately refused, it's a long story), does my time working under Implied Status count towards CEC?
Hmmm, I thought you meant the work permit extension was ultimately refused, not the CEC application - which is it?

"Maybe," and "it depends."

Under the CURRENT version of the OP25A - p. 10:
www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25A-eng.pdf

"Note: Work experience acquired while under implied status will be considered as eligible work experience under the CEC, provided the applicant continued to work in Canada under the same conditions as their original work permit until a decision was made on their application for a work permit extension."

First, a lot of people misinterpret implied status - you might think you were on implied status, but didn't fully understand the rules.

Second - For a while, some people were knowingly submitting extension requests that didn't qualify (e.g. no LMO) just to get that final month or two, and sometimes the VOs refused to consider the time as eligible. I recall that happening more before the update of the OP25A. But I can't say for sure that it won't be a problem any more.

vj1986

Mar 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
3-Feb-2014
Doc's Request.
5-May-2014
AOR Received.
5-Mar-2014
IELTS Request
With application
Med's Request
25 Mar
Med's Done....
26 Mar
Passport Req..
PP req: 11-May // PP delivered to CIC: 14-May // RPRF upfront
VISA ISSUED...
28-may-2015
pablo_cv4 said:
Hi everyone, I have a question:

Hi Pablo,

I'm having a similar case where-in the first VO considered my work experience to be invalid while I was on IMPLIED status.
Situation: my work permit expired in Apr so had filed extension and got approved in Aug. So for these 4 months period, I worked with same employer and clocked 40 hrs per week. But since I did not have a valid WP, the experience was not considered. After getting these notes, I sent my Record of Employment, pay stubs, WP extension case letter through my attorney.

I sent these documents voluntarily, w/o CIC requesting.

My case has been put for second review since 14-Aug-2014 and havent heard anything yet.
I hope the second VO considers my new documents.

Also, I'm waiting for latest GCMS notes to confirm the receipt of documents.

pablo_cv4

Nov 24, 2014
Thanks for your replies, my WP application was the one refused, I wanted to know if the implied status time would be taken into consideration for CEC.

At any rate, my immigration lawyer told me that it would be taken into consideration and that I could apply for CEC, but I still decided to wait until I had one full year working with my current work permit.

kyogesh

Apr 13, 2014
pablo_cv4 said:
Thanks for your replies, my WP application was the one refused, I wanted to know if the implied status time would be taken into consideration for CEC.

At any rate, my immigration lawyer told me that it would be taken into consideration and that I could apply for CEC, but I still decided to wait until I had one full year working with my current work permit.
Reading vj1986's case seems u did the right thing.

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
pablo_cv4 said:

As previous posters stated, even though OP25A states that Implied Status is counted towards CEC, it ultimately depends on the VO. Some say that Implied Status does not count if your WP application was refused, while others say it does not matter if your WP was refused if you only used the time before the WP was refused.

What you did was correct, since it is better to be completely sure of your 1 your experience than hope for an understanding VO.