+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Impact on PGWP due to not getting a co-op in time?

ros4oes

Jan 2, 2019
I am graduating from a 2 year program with 2 co-ops soon, however, at the 2nd co-op term, I wasn't able to secure a job and basically had to extend my study/work permit so that I could complete my 2nd co-op term at the end of the curriculum.

So the normal length of study would be 2 years, but it took me 2 years + 1 semester because of that. Is there any negative impact from this when I apply for PGWP? Other than this, I had no issues with my academic status (Have been full-time and no withdrawal from course whatsoever).

Can anyone in the similar situation share how did it go?

Last edited:

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
I am graduating from a 2 year program with 2 co-ops soon, however, at the 2nd co-op term, I wasn't able to secure a job and basically had to extended my study/work permit so that I could complete my 2nd co-op term at the end of the curriculum.

So the normal length of study would be 2 years, but it took me 2 years + 1 semester because of that. Is there any negative impact from this when I apply for PGWP? Other than this, I had no issues with my academic status (Have been full-time and no withdrawal from course whatsoever).

Can anyone in the similar situation share how did it go?
Tricky situation. How long is your co-op and what's your status during the off period? Here in Quebec I know of a South American friend in similar situation as you : Couldn't land up with coop. Next term was 4 months away in which he landed it, was subsequently denied pgwp.
All the best

ros4oes

Jan 2, 2019
Tricky situation. How long is your co-op and what's your status during the off period? Here in Quebec I know of a South American friend in similar situation as you : Couldn't land up with coop. Next term was 4 months away in which he landed it, was subsequently denied pgwp.
All the best
The program consists of 4 studying terms and 2 co-op terms without any break. Each co-op is made of 4 months.

About my status, I am not really sure. The grade for that failed co-op term says 'incomplete' in the system. Also, there is no course during the co-op term so I didn't really have anything going on for the 4 months.

Last edited:

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Each co-op is made of 4 months. My status? I am really not sure..... There is no course during the co-op term so I didn't really have anything going on for the 4 months.
Buddy you need to consult an expert. My friend tried his level best after refusal and is now back to school in a new program. Good luck

ros4oes

Jan 2, 2019
Buddy you need to consult an expert. My friend tried his level best after refusal and is now back to school in a new program. Good luck
Can you share some details about his case if you don't mind? Was it completely same as mine?

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
Can you share some details about his case if you don't mind? Was it completely same as mine?
Yes, it was same situation. Another classmate in same situation as him got it though. That's why I said tricky. IRCC work in weird ways sometimes

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
What you are saying is you didn't study at all during the co-op term which you couldnt find a job, so you were not a full time student during this time, this is a violation of the PGWP rules, you should not be eligible because of this.
But as the other poster said you can try applying and maybe including a letter of explanation of what happened, the officer might look kindly on your case but it is entirely up to them.

ros4oes

Jan 2, 2019
What you are saying is you didn't study at all during the co-op term which you couldnt find a job, so you were not a full time student during this time, this is a violation of the PGWP rules, you should not be eligible because of this.
But as the other poster said you can try applying and maybe including a letter of explanation of what happened, the officer might look kindly on your case but it is entirely up to them.
I did not study at all because it was a co-op term. You do not have any course during the co-op term here in my school. But technically, you can say I was taking one course which is 'Co-op work course'. Because it was a co-op term, you do not take any other course except that one, so I was a full time student during this term per se. But the question is I failed this course because I couldn't land on a job for co-op.
Sorry, I am not trying to argue with you, but just wanted to clarify things. I appreciate your opinion, though.

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I did not study at all because it was a co-op term. You do not have any course during the co-op term here in my school. But technically, you can say I was taking one course which is 'Co-op work course'. Because it was a co-op term, you do not take any other course except that one, so I was a full time student during this term per se. But the question is I failed this course because I couldn't land on a job for co-op.
Sorry, I am not trying to argue with you, but just wanted to clarify things. I appreciate your opinion, though.
I dont see how you were a full time student if you didnt do the coop, they will look at the transcript and see that nothing was completed during that term. If your transcript shows you were a full time student then there is no issue.

Immstu

Champion Member
Jul 31, 2017
I dont see how you were a full time student if you didnt do the coop, they will look at the transcript and see that nothing was completed during that term. If your transcript shows you were a full time student then there is no issue.
Agree. As the OP's transcript for the said term says 'Incomplete'. This puts him in a precarious position.

To OP : At the end of day VO not this forum can best decide your case. Your and our opinions have little worth

Rita2199

Jul 18, 2018
Hello,

Did you get your PGWP? Did you write an explanation letter from school when you applied the PGWP? I am at the same situation as yours but even worse. I forgot to register for the coop and did not find a coop so there are gaps during my studies.

Please reply and tell me whether you get the PGWP or not.

Thanks

ros4oes

Jan 2, 2019
Hello,

Did you get your PGWP? Did you write an explanation letter from school when you applied the PGWP? I am at the same situation as yours but even worse. I forgot to register for the coop and did not find a coop so there are gaps during my studies.

Please reply and tell me whether you get the PGWP or not.

Thanks
Sorry for the late reply, but yes I got mine and I didn't even bother to include the letter of explanation either because I thought to myself at the end of the day that this isn't really a big deal, just one failed course.