+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration with a US car-- Still no response-PMM/Thaiguy plz help?

monica

Feb 21, 2007
I am asking this question on behalf of a friend ready to immigrate to Canada shortly. They want to immigrate, stay for about 15 days and then return to USA.
They plan to travel with their car. Is it necessary to register the vehicle and "import it" at the immigration port, even when they have to return a short while after? There is much confusion regarding this. I personally checked the website www.riv.ca but specific information was not found.
Also will their US car-insurance be sufficient for them to enter Canada and travel there or they some extra preparations/additional coverage for it.?
Senior Members, PMM/ Thaiguy kindly help on this.

Thank you.

Monica

monica

Feb 21, 2007
Re: Immigration with a US car-- Still no response-PMM/Thaiguy help?

Senior Members, PMM/ Thaiguy kindly help on this.

Thank you.

Monica

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
The U.S. car insurance won't be sufficient unless there's a specific rider on the policy. They need to check with their insurance company. Their driver's licenses will only be valid in Canada for 6 months after landing - whether they're there or not. So if they're not coming back in time to get Canadian licenses, they'll have to find another way to get into Canada. Just FYI.

I'm not an expert on car importation, but here's what I read from www.riv.ca

What to do at the border ...

Produce your title documents, registration and sales receipts.
Complete Vehicle Import Form – Form 1, which Canada Border Services Agency will provide. This requires a Canadian mailing address.

I stopped there because of the last sentence. This tells me the vehicle importation process will not be completed at port of entry, but later on. So I'm going to say it will be ok if they bring their car in on landing and return to the U.S.

Just to make sure, give the Canada Border Services Agency a call. They'll know the answer. (506) 636-5064