+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration visa on a cancelled passport

erdebeere

Feb 2, 2015
Hello everybody, I have my immigration Visa attached to my current passport. I will be landing in April 2015. As my passport will expire on November 2015, I am thinking of cancelling the passport and getting a new one before leaving my homeland and use the visa on the cancelled passport along with the new passport . Do you have any experience regarding this issue? Thanks a million.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's probably a bad idea. You would have to get a new immigrant visa from the visa office if you got a new passport. I suggest you to get your new passport from your Consulate/Embassy in Canada after landing.

CanV

Champion Member
Apr 30, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
erdebeere said:
Hello everybody, I have my immigration Visa attached to my current passport. I will be landing in April 2015. As my passport will expire on November 2015, I am thinking of cancelling the passport and getting a new one before leaving my homeland and use the visa on the cancelled passport along with the new passport . Do you have any experience regarding this issue? Thanks a million.
Not worth the risks. Is it hard to renew passport in Canada? As a PR you do not have to maintain a valid passport in Canada. If you need to travel then thats a different story.

Meetvetri

May 16, 2013
Dear Friends,
Due to my Passport expiry, I renewed recently . Actually My Immigration VISA in my OLD canceled passport. Which means do I need to again apply for new VISA based on new Passport number ??
I really appreciate your supports on this.
Br

erdebeere

Feb 2, 2015
If your passport is expired means out of date and you get a new one, no problem! You may travel with both passports. It is important the page in old passport that has the Visa not being punched preferably. If you download the related PDF named below on page 56 part 13.15 is written :If an expired passport contains a valid visa counterfoil, the counterfoil can still be used since the
expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity. Holders of a valid visa may continue
to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport. Visitors can fulfill
the visa and passport requirements by presenting both the renewed and expired passports
containing the valid visa counterfoil to a BSO when seeking entry into Canada.

ENF 4 Port of Entry Examinations

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Yes, been there done that.

The passport is cancelled with stamp saying the visa on them is still valid to be used with old passport.
Always good to travel with passport that wouldn't be expiring in the next 6 months at least.

Present both new and old passport with valid visa.

cprak0

ch_mujeeb

Oct 10, 2013
erdebeere said:
This is not a good idea. Please note that the visitor visa remain valid if old passport is cancelled and new is issued. But for teh permanent resident visa, if the passport expires the visa do not remain valid. I got it confirmed from Visa office as I was facing similar issue.

erdebeere

Feb 2, 2015
Yes, you are right. But recently I sent Ankara Visa office a few emails and they said immigration visa is valid on an expired or even cancelled passport along with the new passport. I heard in the past they asked you to send your new passport and pay again so the new visa is issued and attached to the new passport but recently they changed their policy.

sakthiece

Star Member
Apr 25, 2017
My situation is same, I have my immigration visa in cancelled passport (Renewed for updating spouse name and address change), can I travel to canada by presenting both the passports? Please advise