+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration to Canada from US, unusual circumstances. Please help!

jeffreydean1

Feb 7, 2006
Connecticut
Greetings forum folks, I come to you with a rather unique situation in hopes of any advice before paying the big bucks to consult a lawyer.

I am a US citizen, male, 25 years old. I have a bachelors degree in Computer Science and 3 years full time and 4 years part time work experience in my field as tech guy. I have been looking to immigrate to Canada for a few years now and have pretty much hit a brick wall from every angle.

The devil's in the details: For the past 3 years I have been in a very happy and committed polyamorous relationship. My (non legal) husband Josh and (non legal) wife Sabrina are Canadian citizens and they are married. In January of this year (2007) we had a daughter (biologically my child and Sabrina's). For the majority of our relationship, I have been making monthly long-weekend to a week visits from the States to Canada to be with my family. None of us make enough money to spend on a full-time immigration lawyer representation, and certainly not 10k dollars for the skilled worker visa. It has been established to me on numerous occasions that the 10k bit is non-negotiable, even though I have guaranteed room and board till I would find a job.

What it really comes down to is I want to be able to work in Canada and be a father to my daughter. I have work experience, a degree, speak English fluently, and have no criminal convictions. Does my having a Canadian daughter make ANY difference to the Canadian government? Is there ANY way for my family to sponsor me? Does anyone have any suggestions? If it came down to it, and my family got a divorce, how long would we have to wait for me to marry one of them and be sponsored that way? Would that be seen as fraud? This is insanely frustrating. Any advice would be appreciated.

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
A Canadian lawyer shouldn't charge anywhere near $10,000. You should be able to do it for under $2,000, plus the fees required by the Canadian government for application and permanent residence. All together, it should be less than $5,000.

The couple can't sponsor you while they're married, and your polyamorous relationship won't be recognized by the government.

Having a daughter who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident will give you more points in your application.

It sounds awfully extreme for someone to divorce just so they can sponsor you - legal or not.

You sound like you'd be qualified to immigrate as a skilled worker. You should try that first.

jeffreydean1

Feb 7, 2006
Connecticut
Thank you for the response thaiguy! I probabaly wasnt clear enough, the 10 thousand I was referring to is the amount of money the Canadian government wants a skilled worker to have in the bank when he or she applies for a skilled worker visa. Supposidly it's to prove to the canadian government that the immigrant can support himself for up to 6 months while looking for employment. The thing is, I have guaranteed room and board with my family until I get a job, and they're willing to put that in writing, legaleese, etc..., but so far people have told me that that doesnt matter to the government. 2 thousand dollars for a lawyer I could probabaly scrounge up and pay, but 10 thousand is completely impossible for me at this point.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jeffreydean1 said:
Thank you for the response thaiguy! I probabaly wasnt clear enough, the 10 thousand I was referring to is the amount of money the Canadian government wants a skilled worker to have in the bank when he or she applies for a skilled worker visa. Supposidly it's to prove to the canadian government that the immigrant can support himself for up to 6 months while looking for employment. The thing is, I have guaranteed room and board with my family until I get a job, and they're willing to put that in writing, legaleese, etc..., but so far people have told me that that doesnt matter to the government. 2 thousand dollars for a lawyer I could probabaly scrounge up and pay, but 10 thousand is completely impossible for me at this point.
It doesn't matter how much help is offered, you need the settlement funds.

PMM

jeffreydean1

Feb 7, 2006
Connecticut
PMM said:
Hi

jeffreydean1 said:
It doesn't matter how much help is offered, you need the settlement funds.

PMM
As I've mentioned in both of my posts, I am aware of this fact. I just think it's stupid. Thanks for the reply.

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
spiderman said:
What the .... ? Are you sick? Are Josh and Sabrina sick? What kind of relationships... ? eeeweekk (throws up) !!!!
If this is your attitude then Canada is most likely not for you

jeffreydean1

Feb 7, 2006
Connecticut
mc_dub said:
spiderman said:
What the .... ? Are you sick? Are Josh and Sabrina sick? What kind of relationships... ? eeeweekk (throws up) !!!!
Thanks for the defense, I was really hoping not to have to deal with judging idiots like 'spiderman' here. And for the record, I am not sick, we are all very happy aside from the immigration issue.

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
Hi jeffreydean1

I have read your initial posting, and I understand how do you feel, it is so frustrating when you face so many gaps and/or barriers on the immigration process, certainly there are valid reasons, how come the government of Canada, meaning CIC asks for you to have $XX amount of Money, this money is not for them by the way, it is for the applicant’s settlement, they want to make sure that anyone that arrives as immigrant does not face broken finances since the beginning, Canada is not cheap, not at all… (I guess you already know it) the immigrant(s) will need as much money as possible after landing here, I have personally spent more than $10,000 CAD for settlement in less than 3 Months for a family of 4

Well maybe you don’t want to hear about me… but I am just using it to illustrate the real facts, so when the CIC asks you to have this fund they do care about you.

In the other hand, you don’t need to pay for a lawyer if you don’t want it, you may apply as Skilled Worker by yourself, and it will save you those -+ $2,000. But if you can afford an immigration lawyer I hardly recommend it, since at the end of the day, they could be so helpful on the process; since they are the experts (just make sure you hire a good one)

About the $10,000 certainly there is a way for you to wave it, just get a job offer and that’s it forget about it, you will only pay the immigration fees and lawyer fees if any.

Note: as a friend, please, don’t take anything as personal just grab the good stuff and throw out the rest… good luck and go for it!!.

Eduardo

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
jeffreydean1 said:
mc_dub said:
spiderman said:
Thanks for the defense, I was really hoping not to have to deal with judging idiots like 'spiderman' here. And for the record, I am not sick, we are all very happy aside from the immigration issue.

To whom it may concern:

I would like to remember to all the members and visitors of this forum, that this forum was created in order to help others, whether through life experiences or immigration law facts, it was not created to destroy others or to prevent anybody to come at Canada.

So please be helpful and respectful no mater if we don’t like someone’s input.

God bless you all
Eduardo

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
Eduardo Picazo said:
jeffreydean1 said:
mc_dub said:
spiderman said:

To whom it may concern:

I would like to remember to all the members and visitors of this forum, that this forum was created in order to help others, whether through life experiences or immigration law facts, it was not created to destroy others or to prevent anybody to come at Canada.

God bless you all
Eduardo
I was not trying to prevent anyone from coming, all I said was if he had such a problem "non-traditional" relationships then Canada may not be the best choice for him. That's advice, nothing more. Besides, I'll say what I feel is appropriate on here, only the moderators can stop that, not you

Eduardo Picazo

Feb 19, 2005
Reynosa, Mexico
mc_dub said:
Eduardo Picazo said:
jeffreydean1 said:
mc_dub said:
spiderman said:

To whom it may concern:

God bless you all
Eduardo
I was not trying to prevent anyone from coming, all I said was if he had such a problem "non-traditional" relationships then Canada may not be the best choice for him. That's advice, nothing more. Besides, I'll say what I feel is appropriate on here, only the moderators can stop that, not you
Certainly it is not necessary to be a moderator in order to ask for respect to others, the same way I respect your personal opinion, however whether you like it or not, we must be gentle with those who need our help. this is a fact. as group and as human being.

The life is like a wheel, maybe today you are at the top, perhaps tomorrow, right on the bottom.

I am not a moderator, you are correct... but at least I have been an active member helping others since some years ago, that gives me the right

Best regards,

Eduardo

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
Eduardo Picazo said:
mc_dub said:
Eduardo Picazo said:
jeffreydean1 said:
mc_dub said:
spiderman said:

To whom it may concern:

God bless you all
Eduardo
Certainly it is not necessary to be a moderator in order to ask for respect to others, the same way I respect your personal opinion, however whether you like it or not, we must be gentle with those who need our help. this is a fact. as group and as human being.

The life is like a wheel, maybe today you are at the top, perhaps tomorrow, right on the bottom.

I am not a moderator, you are correct... but at least I have been an active member helping others since some years ago, that gives me the right

Best regards,

Eduardo
There was nothing disrespectful about my original post. I do not have to be gentle of intolerance, especially when those committing it are seeking help while casting judgment on others in a similar predicament. What you have said is not a fact, it is your opinion.

My position on "the wheel" is not relevant on this board, nor is how many posts you have or the length of time you've been here, there is no pecking order on here and I wished to be disrespectful to someone who was disrespecting others (which, if you read again, I was not) the number of posts or years I have been on here does not matter. I will not be silenced by archaic thinking that in order to have a voice, one must establish themself to be allowed an opinion.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
The law of the 10,000$ is a good law, otherwise anyone could enter and be on welfare.

Getting a promise of a job then the amount is not required..but just a job letter is not enough.

The job must be there for real when you enter besides the employer must apply himself that you are hired. Proof of the job and also he must put an ad in the paper for your job and if no canadian can fill it then it is accepted that you come and work for him.

Just saying get a job letter and forget it..is not true.