+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration questioning spouse applying for citizenship.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Just to be clear, though, the person wasn't applying for citizenship. Her citizen husband is sponsoring her PR application.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Wow. Good job this officer wasn't overseeing my PR application. My wife/sponsor is 8 years older than me!
Or maybe this officer originally came from the same area and recognized the names to be his/her enemy back in high school LOL

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
You are American, so it is an entirely different situation.
Yes, of course, I was ignoring the cultural implications in my comment. Maybe the officer could have chosen different language, but I don't think it was out of line to question the relationship, as they should in any spousal sponsorship. We went to great lengths to prove our relationship was genuine and even then had to face questions about it. I didn't mind, rather I expected to have to answer them.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
It is harsh but it is well known that this is standard operating procedure

“Who are they judge whether or not that marriage is well-matched?” Kwan said.

uhh... that is the officer's job! It is their job to assess/judge the validity of the relationship.

IRCC certainly has different rules depending on the region. They can seem pretty strict when adopting the "cultural norm"

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I think it's a pretty heads-up action from the officer, to know and understand the area and culture enough to raise a question.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, of course, I was ignoring the cultural implications in my comment. Maybe the officer could have chosen different language, but I don't think it was out of line to question the relationship, as they should in any spousal sponsorship. We went to great lengths to prove our relationship was genuine and even then had to face questions about it. I didn't mind, rather I expected to have to answer them.
I really don't find anything offensive about the wording. The officer speaks of a couple being "well matched", which is normal wording used in arranged marriages, which this likely was; families speak of finding a "good match" for their children. The officer states that the deviation from cultural norms raises suspicions, which is a valid concern.

Some people may not like it but this is just an officer doing their job.

Caribou

Star Member
Feb 20, 2013
British Columbia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
"wedding guest of 123 is too small" LMAO.
We had elopement wedding in Victoria, so if my spouse was from Pakistan, it would've been definitely suspicious!
Proving genuine-ness was the hardest part of PR application for sure.

Reactions: rasmy