+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration from US to Quebec (Help Please!)

emely.tran

Nov 3, 2011
I'm currently a citizen of the US looking to move to Canada (specifically Montreal, QC). I have some basic questions that hopefully someone will be able to answer for me.

Here is my situation: I'm 21 years old and live in Boston. My husband is from Montreal and is a citizen of Canada. We've been together for about 8 months and got married in September. I'm afraid that since we've known each other for such a short period of time that the marriage may not be seen as genuine.

I was attending a University here in Boston, but I've taken the semester off and am now working full time. I cannot apply for a study visa because I am no longer attending school at the moment and I'm not qualified to apply for a work permit.

Although I am not required to get a TRV, is it recommended that I do?

My plan for the moment is to apply for a TRV and stay in Montreal for the maximum time I'm allowed to stay (6 months?).

I would really appreciate any advice or help with my problem!

katie46

Sep 11, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-Aug-2010
Doc's Request.
7-Oct-2011
Med's Request
25-Mar-2011
Med's Done....
5-April-2011
dear, I didnot undrestand , where are you now? give me exact details to help you.

PommeDeRoute

Star Member
Feb 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would really not sweat the 8 months. Just be sure to collect evidence of a genuine and continuing relationship like phone records, photos, joint bank accounts, leases etc. Submit this with the application and you should be fine.

You could apply for a study visa if you are accepted by a Canadian university, but it would be pointless since you are married to a Canadian citizen and immigration would probably think that you would overstay your visa since you are married to a Canadian and would want to stay here.

I visited Canada many, many times to visit my wife prior to becoming a PR and never had a problem. My stays back then were always short term, so never had to worry about TRVs or any other visas.

My advice: Go for sponsorship. Dot the I's and cross the T's and you'll be fine.

Woman_USA_to_Canada

May 7, 2009
Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB, Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-Apr-2011
Med's Done....
24-Apr-2011
LANDED..........
16-May-2012
I agree with PommeDeRoute, the best route is to submit an Application for Permanent Residency - Family Class and have your spouse sponsor you. My advice is to read the instructions very carefully and be prepared for a 4-12 week time period to get the appropriate documents in order to submit the application. If you have any problems reply to this message or PM me and I will assist you as much as possible.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse.asp

emely.tran

Nov 3, 2011
Sorry for not responding to your reply's I kind of forgot about this forum until a few days ago. I just wanted to thank you guys for your help! I started my sponsorship process in July.