+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

immigration for international student

nice_simple

Feb 25, 2008
My name is Mubasher Hassan and I am from Lahore, Pakistan. I am planning to move to Canada for studies.
A couple of weeks before I heard that if a student has been in Canada on study visa for at least a year, he/she is eligible for Canadian immigration and it would take approximately four months to process the request. Is it true? Can some one confirm it? Please elaborate if some one has information about it.
Thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
That's the point. Immigration is a different thing from going to school. If you want to immigrate, you have to qualify under one of the immigration categories. Getting a student visa is not supposed to be a back door to immigration.

Mar 15, 2008
You may want to consider the following option if you have money to spend on education in Canada:

1) Obtain a Bachelors degree in your country
2) Work for a few years in your country (at least 4 to get the max number of points)
3) Join a Masters program in Canada
4) After graduating get a job in Canada on practical training
4) Apply for PR in Canada after graduating from Masters program.

It is hard to get work experience in a foreign country without some basic work experience already.
So the four years of experience in your country may alleviate the problem to some extent.
Also improve your English and accent by studying books/taking courses. Make sure it is gramatically correct.
Employers want someone that can *naturally* interact with them and colleagues and understands local culture.
Read lots of books, watch lots of movies and especially watch documentaries, read online magazines, articles etc.
This will land you a job in Canada after graduating from the Masters program.

That is an international student's backdoor entry to immigration.

habib890

Mar 30, 2008
Hello Hassan,
Do not get confused between study permit/ visa and parmanent residence (immigration). These two status are totally different. However, studying and obtaining a degree in Canada will enhance your qualification (total score points) to become a permanent residence.
For internationals students those who are already in Canada and apply for PR, the time period of PR is not 4 months only! My understanding is it requires minimum one and half year (more or less!)
If you are really serious about moving to Canada, my advise is to look for a relevant program/course in your field to study in Canada. Just come here as a student first then take the initiative to apply for PR.

Thank you.