+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigration confusion

sdooley

Oct 4, 2007
I don't know if this is a unique situation, my companion is South African, we've known each other for about six months, he is in Canada, and he married a Canadian girl about a year ago, now he has left his wife due to unresolvable circumstances just over a week ago, he is now living with me since then. Now his wife was sponsoring him under commonlaw sponsorship, she says that she has cancelled her sponsorship, what we are wondering is if the sponsorship can be transferred over to me. Now I am married to my first husband whom I haven't seen in over 7 years, I am applying for a divorce, now as for him, his wife says that she can't file for divorce for like eight months or something. What we would like to know seeing on how our divorces are in the process, can him and I still apply for commonlaw sponsorship, we are living together after all.Please can someone help us with some information, his visitors visa expires at the end of December 2007. There has to be some way of working around this situation. He got some form of approval on his PR, because before he left his wife Canada Immigration sent him stuff to do to attain an open work visa, now we've sent one set of fingerprints to South Africa, and the other set I'm assuming goes to the F.B.I., along with addresses for the last 10 years, and employment for the last 10 years, but it also says for him to be really focussing on December 2006 to date, but should we still do ten years of each, once we do this then he can get his open work visa. With his wife cancelling her sponsorship, should we still continue working towards his work visa, please we are desparate, somebody help us, we truly don't know where to go from here, we really can't afford an immigration lawyer, so we are on our own. Thank you, praying someone gives us hope.

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
I'm almost certain you can't transfer it and I believe it is also extremely unlikely that you can cancel sponsorship if it has already gone through but honestly you need to speak to a lawyer about this.

Mclellan

Oct 4, 2007
Hey

I was hoping someone may be able to help. We are a family of 4 my wife was diognosed with cancer last year but has now got the all clear. We have been told we have to wait before we can apply. We both meet the points requirment but does anyone know if we get arranged employment in 5 years will we be able to move out within 6 months whilst our application is being processed. Or does anyone know of a different way for us to immigrate rather than waiting 5 years then another 4-5 for a skilled worker visa. Furthmore my parents are looking to move out and my mother has a aunt and uncle who live in BC can they sponsor all of us?

Any help would be much appreciated

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

mc_dub said:
I'm almost certain you can't transfer it and I believe it is also extremely unlikely that you can cancel sponsorship if it has already gone through but honestly you need to speak to a lawyer about this.
A sponsorship can be canceled at anytime prior to the person being landed. Also the OP c/law relationship has not been a year, therefor she can't sponsor him until they have been in a relationship for 1 year. Also with the sponsorship withdrawn, he would no longer be entitled to an open work permit.

PMM