+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immigrating to Canada - Feedback please!

maq0r

Star Member
Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello guys, I'm in the process of getting my FSW (fingers crossed) and I've been a small lurker in these forums with a small participation here and then.

I've noticed there's a lot of people in here from Asia (mainly Indian and Pakistan) and I was wondering about how you guys perceive moving or immigrating to Canada in the near-far future.

I'm really close by to Canada, in South America, and I was reading yesterday the 'Citizenship' guide at the CIC guide and was really curious about a few things, that I would like to talk or get feedback from a few of you.

The last thing I want to with this post is to start a flamewar or something, I'm just honestly curious about, for example a few things that are customary in Canada that I think (might think) are against many cultural things in Asia.

For example:

Women's Rights, you guys do know women have exactly the same rights as men in Canada, they can run for office (in fact, the Governor General of Canada is female), they can marry, divorce, own businesses, vote, and all that even being single. What's your appreciation of this?

Gay rights, gay men and women have full rights including marriage. If you're immigrating to Canada this is one of the most 'difficult' topics new comers have to 'assimilate', it's a fact, and (having been to Toronto several times) there is nothing unusual in seeing a couple of men holding hands or maybe even raising a child. What's your take on this?

I'm sorry if this raises any sensiblities, it's not my intention, it's mere curiosity in how possible immigrants can assimilate into the Canadian culture.

Thank you!

qorax

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2009
Brampton, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
May-2010
Simple, When in Rome - Do as the Romans Do.

If we have decided on immigrating, which I guess u have too, then why the query? We did our home works & found this nation to be good, which is why we r into this process, right? Then, let's shed our inhibitions & embrace it's culture, in it's entirety. If we aren't sure - we shouldn't come.

This country is great, the ppl r good, the governance is excellent, it's multiculturalism is fab... Let's enjoy it's openness! Probably that's one of the reasons why we r trying to enter here, ain't we? So, why create a ruccus? If we get into Canada let's become Canadians, not a diaspora!

Qorax

maq0r

Star Member
Jun 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
qorax,

I completetly agree with you, however, I've been reading news and testimonials of immigrants from countries where the issue of women rights or gay rights are a sensitive topic (even taboo) and how it was a shock for them to immigrate and having to 'cope' with having women as bosses or seeing gay men/women kissing and/or holding hands.

Just curiousity, given time, hopefully many of us who join this forum will make it to Canada, and the cultural difference can be really huge for some people. (Just for the record, I'm pro women and gay rights)

lpntocanada

Star Member
Aug 9, 2010
qorax said:
Simple, When in Rome - Do as the Romans Do.

If we have decided on immigrating, which I guess u have too, then why the query? We did our home works & found this nation to be good, which is why we r into this process, right? Then, let's shed our inhibitions & embrace it's culture, in it's entirety. If we aren't sure - we shouldn't come.

This country is great, the ppl r good, the governance is excellent, it's multiculturalism is fab... Let's enjoy it's openness! Probably that's one of the reasons why we trying to enter here, ain't we? So, why create a ruccus? If we get into Canada let's become Canadians, not a diaspora!

Qorax
Well said Qorax! I believe that if we immigrate to another country then we should assimilate into their culture and we shouldn't expect it to be the other way around. It will make life so much easier and simpler.