+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Immediate help needed: Can I use my entry visa to re-enter Canada widout PR card

satbeerus2001

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Hello Seniors and Experts,

I need your expert advise on this please!!!

I have just received my passport with the Immigrant visa. The visa is only valid till Nov 20 next month.

Now, I am in Canada currently on a work permit and this weekend I am going to the closest Canadian border to do the landing as a PR.

I understand that this Immigrant visa is a single entry visa. And at the border, they will apply for my PR card. But this PR card will take 3-4 months to be issued.

My concern is that I have to be on a flight to India on November 15 and I am coming back on December 6. So before that I wont receive my PR card anyways.

So to enter Canada on December 7: Can I use my entry visa which I applied after receiving my work permit. It is a multiple entry visa valid till December 2015.

Can i use that entry visa or it gets nullified after becoming a PR??????

Please advise seniors

Many thanks

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
satbeerus2001 said:
Hello Seniors and Experts,

I need your expert advise on this please!!!

I have just received my passport with the Immigrant visa. The visa is only valid till Nov 20 next month.

Now, I am in Canada currently on a work permit and this weekend I am going to the closest Canadian border to do the landing as a PR.

I understand that this Immigrant visa is a single entry visa. And at the border, they will apply for my PR card. But this PR card will take 3-4 months to be issued.

My concern is that I have to be on a flight to India on November 15 and I am coming back on December 6. So before that I wont receive my PR card anyways.

So to enter Canada on December 7: Can I use my entry visa which I applied after receiving my work permit. It is a multiple entry visa valid till December 2015.

Can i use that entry visa or it gets nullified after becoming a PR??????

Please advise seniors

Many thanks
You will get CORP when you land but as you require visa to enter Canada; then you need one to reenter. As PR you aren't eligible for Temporarily visas... So you could request a travel document from the Canadian consulate in India to travel with to Canada. I guess!

satbeerus2001

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Smsm81 said:
You will get CORP when you land but as you require visa to enter Canada; then you need one to reenter. As PR you aren't eligible for Temporarily visas... So you could request a travel document from the Canadian consulate in India to travel with to Canada. I guess!
thanks for ur reply

i understand that i wud need a travel document from canadian embassy in India but they take more than. month to issue that...and i m only going to be there for 3 weeks

i dont have to apply for my temporary visa, i already have one which is valid till dec 2015 multiple entry

can i not use that instead of travel document??? or that entry visa gets cancelled once i do the landing ???

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Once you land as a PR, all your other visas or permits are removed from your passport and cancelled.

You will need to arrange to get a PR travel document else you won't be able to board any plane back to Canada.

Or you could try to fly to USA, and drive across the border back to Canada.

satbeerus2001

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Rob_TO said:
Once you land as a PR, all your other visas or permits are removed from your passport and cancelled.

You will need to arrange to get a PR travel document else you won't be able to board any plane back to Canada.

Or you could try to fly to USA, and drive across the border back to Canada.
Thanks Rob_To for your reply

So by saying that I could fly to USA and drive through land to Canada....wont I need a travel document while enterinf Canada through land???

I do have valid US visa...so I can fly to USA..bt hw wud I enter Canada without travel document???

Please shed some light !

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
satbeerus2001 said:
Thanks Rob_To for your reply

So by saying that I could fly to USA and drive through land to Canada....wont I need a travel document while enterinf Canada through land???

I do have valid US visa...so I can fly to USA..bt hw wud I enter Canada without travel document???

Please shed some light !

Thanks
Once you land as a PR, you are a PR even though you don't have a PR card yet. So if you can get yourself to Canada, CBSA can easily see your PR status based just on your passport and COPR. So they don't actually require your PR card to give you entry to Canada as a PR.

It's getting to Canada that's the hard part, since airlines ONLY accept PR card as proof of PR status.

So if you flew to a US city close to the border, then drove to Canada, you would just need passport + COPR to prove your PR status to land border CBSA officer.

satbeerus2001

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Thanks Rob_To for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

Yea this could be an idea to work with bu coming to Canada through USA

But in doing this I will have to change my airticket which means losing a lot of $$$$

Since you mentioned that it is just about getting on the plane to Canada.

I understand that you said that once I land as PR, all my temporary visas are cancelled, but assuming that the officer does not physically check off the entry visa in my passport with a dark black PEN, then can I show that entry visa valid till December 2015 multiple entry to the airlines and just pretend that I returning as a worker and I m not a PR???

Can it be done ?

Please excuse me if I m being too foxy!

yata520

Oct 9, 2013
satbeerus2001 said:
Thanks Rob_To for your prompt reply. I really appreciate it.

Yea this could be an idea to work with bu coming to Canada through USA

But in doing this I will have to change my airticket which means losing a lot of $$$$

Since you mentioned that it is just about getting on the plane to Canada.

I understand that you said that once I land as PR, all my temporary visas are cancelled, but assuming that the officer does not physically check off the entry visa in my passport with a dark black PEN, then can I show that entry visa valid till December 2015 multiple entry to the airlines and just pretend that I returning as a worker and I m not a PR???

Can it be done ?

Please excuse me if I m being too foxy!
Then you will lose your PR. I read someone doing that then lose PR.

satbeerus2001

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Can I jz do the landing right now at the nearest Canada port of entry and ask for an expedited PR card application process showing them my airtickets.

Right now normal processing time is 30 calender days. That means if i do landing on Nov 1 then approx in the end of nov or dec 1 i shd be getting the PR card under normal processing

I am leaving Canada on Nov 15 and coming back Dec 7....so in meanwhile if my PR card comes around dec 1 then my wife can courier it immediately to my address in India and that way I can have it on my way back?????

Can something like this be done ?

Please shed some light

Thanks

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
satbeerus2001 said:

Can it be done ?
Yes that could be done. But you have no way to know if the CBSA officer doing your PR landing, will do his job properly and remove/cross out all your existing visas including your multiple entry ones. As they do this in most cases, then obviously you could not use an invalid visa.

But if he doesn't cancel your multi-entry visa, then I don't see why you couldn't use it with the airline to return. It would just be with the airline, once back in Canada they would let you enter based on your PR status.

Can I jz do the landing right now at the nearest Canada port of entry and ask for an expedited PR card application process showing them my airtickets.
No you can't ask for expedited PR card processing time, no matter what your reason is.

I am leaving Canada on Nov 15 and coming back Dec 7....so in meanwhile if my PR card comes around dec 1 then my wife can courier it immediately to my address in India and that way I can have it on my way back?????

Sure she could courier it to you if it comes. But there is no guarantee on the date you'll get it. There's a chance it could take 2-3 months to finally arrive in the mail, who knows.

So I would apply for a PR travel document from India visa office also and for this request expedited processing. Then you can travel back on whichever arrives first - the travel doc or your PR card. Either way you should prepare to extend your stay in India until you get one of them.

Smsm81

Oct 24, 2012
I doubt the U.S. thing as you already went abroad so you will need visa to enter Canada.
Just after you get your CORP apply online for to get your travel document ... I am guessing all your TEMP Visas will be void, whether they will be marked or not, since you became PR. Change your ticket and play with the rules better than doing something wrong and lose your PR.
Confirm with the call center about your option.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Smsm81 said:
I doubt the U.S. thing as you already went abroad so you will need visa to enter Canada.
There is nothing to doubt as the rules are quite clear. If you have already landed as a PR then you can enter Canada at a land border no problem, even if you don't have PR card.

It's just getting to US that you would need a US visa for.

mrashid123

Nov 8, 2013
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CHC-Islamabad
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-03-2012
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
~ July 2013 (after receiving my Originals)
Med's Request
20-11-2013
Med's Done....
28-11-2013
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
21-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2014!!! (Soo relieved!! Alhamd!!)
LANDED..........
14-03-2014!! (Happiest day of my life!! :):)
You could just not make ur landing right now... but when u come back from india in dec do it then... how long did they give u to do the landing?

Kayaker

Aug 4, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-02-2014
AOR Received.
04-03-2014
Med's Done....
08-11-2013
VISA ISSUED...
29-09-2014
LANDED..........
11-10-2014
mrashid123 said:
You could just not make ur landing right now... but when u come back from india in dec do it then... how long did they give u to do the landing?
Until Nov. 20, he wrote.

handsup

Champion Member
Sep 1, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Mar 2013
VISA ISSUED...
Feb 2015
satbeerus2001 said:

Please shed some light

Thanks
Hi

My cousin did the same that you are thinking to do, but his PR took more than 2 months when his wife got it in Canada. She put the Card in a book and couriered to his home country. And now he is in Canada :)

So this can be done if you can wait for teh worst case of late arrival of PR card