+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5710 and Work Permit Type

inny815

Aug 7, 2015
Hi all,

I have a few questions regarding IMM 5710.

My situation is the following. I got the OINP nomination certificate (International student with a job offer stream) and letter of support for Temporary work permit from OINP. The nomination has employer restriction. I submitted my PR application to CIC and got AOR with file number.

I am trying to fill out the IMM 5710 form in order to get work permit (or extend my current PGWP which would be expiring soon). I am sure WP I should choose is not 'open work permit' since it has employer restriction on the nomination certificate. And also I believe it seems not bridging WP.

My questions are the following:

On page 3 and question 1 under the section"Detail of intended work in Canada": What kind of work permit are you applying for?

- Should I choose "Exemption from LMIA" or "Other"?

- If I choose "Other," what should I explain?

- On the same and question 5, what should I put under "Duration of expected employment": From ~ To ?
"From" is I believe from the end of my current PGWP, but I do not know until when for "To" part. I am waiting for the final decision of my PR application which I do not know when it would come out.

- On top of these, am I getting a new WP or extending my current PGWP? I am not 100% sure as well.

Thank you so much for help.

Reactions: appleleave

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
Hello,

I am apply for a closed work permit as well. Here is what I do:

- Exemption from LMIA because it is going to be an LMIA exemption code T13
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/work/opinion/territories-provinces.asp

- From date I use the date I start working, To date = 2-5 years after. But I will add a letter of explanation to tell them it is permanent.

Now can someone please tell me:
1. Do we need the document checklist - IMM 5556 too?
2. Do we need a copy of work permit/ past study permit?

I am so confused because the guide and checklist say we need them but I can't upload online.

hasan629

Jul 2, 2013
Hi everyone

i have some confusion regarding work permit. I have SINP nomination with employer restriction, very soon my post graduate work permit will expire and i will apply for close work permit and currently i am working as a plant equipment mechanic.
My employer is filling out forms for employer compliance fee but there is some confusion in two questions:
1) what should be in LMIA exemption code??
2) what should be the answer about the explanation of how the job meet the requirements of the exemption being requested??

Thanks in advance

inny815

Aug 7, 2015
Thank you for replying, both of you.

I hope some experts in this forum answer all our questions or at least someone who has the previous experience can answer them.

Please help us.

Thank you...

Georgesand

Oct 22, 2013
hasan629 said:
Hi everyone

i have some confusion regarding work permit. I have SINP nomination with employer restriction, very soon my post graduate work permit will expire and i will apply for close work permit and currently i am working as a plant equipment mechanic.
My employer is filling out forms for employer compliance fee but there is some confusion in two questions:
1) what should be in LMIA exemption code??
2) what should be the answer about the explanation of how the job meet the requirements of the exemption being requested??

Thanks in advance

1. LMIA exemption code is T13

bernardo5

Nov 26, 2016
Hi all:

My situation is kind of similar to the ones mentioned on this thread. I'm currently working with a PWGP which will expire soon and will apply for a Employer-Specific Work Permit. There is a question on IMM 5710 that states the following:

Question # 3. I am applying for one or more of the following:

- A work permit with the same employer
: - An initial work permit or work permit with a new employer

So, I'm not sure which option to select. Any experienced user or moderator of this forum who could advice about this or other questions posted here. Thanks in advance!