+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5406 rejected twice and I am lost

Dan1000

Apr 16, 2024
Hey all,
I live in Israel and I am trying to apply for PR through sponsorship of my wife (which is a Canadian citizen). We have a 3 years old daughter which also got her citizenship so it's only me left.
We filled out and submitted IMM 5289 for sponsorship, and one of the requirements was to fill IMM 5406 "Additional family information".
After a while we got a rejection because in the form IMM 5406 "Dependents were not listed and/or listed incorrectly."
At first we didn't list our daughter because she is a Canadian citizen so we added her and tried again, and again we got the same rejection! We tried to contact the IRCC but we just get a generic response that says "you need to fill all the information regarding all your dependents" but nothing specific about what was wrong about our application.
We went through the application multiple times and verified the information, so I don't know what could be wrong.
What does dependents mean in this context? Is it a problem with my daughter information?
I would be grateful if somebody could help me, we are desperate.

charliem

Jul 26, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-09-2013
Doc's Request.
17-10-2013
AOR Received.
18-10-2013
File Transfer...
March 2014
Med's Request
March 2, 2015. AIP received same day
Med's Done....
March 3, 2015.
Interview........
"Decision made": 1 April 2015
Hey all,
I live in Israel and I am trying to apply for PR through sponsorship of my wife (which is a Canadian citizen). We have a 3 years old daughter which also got her citizenship so it's only me left.
We filled out and submitted IMM 5289 for sponsorship, and one of the requirements was to fill IMM 5406 "Additional family information".
After a while we got a rejection because in the form IMM 5406 "Dependents were not listed and/or listed incorrectly."
At first we didn't list our daughter because she is a Canadian citizen so we added her and tried again, and again we got the same rejection! We tried to contact the IRCC but we just get a generic response that says "you need to fill all the information regarding all your dependents" but nothing specific about what was wrong about our application.
We went through the application multiple times and verified the information, so I don't know what could be wrong.
What does dependents mean in this context? Is it a problem with my daughter information?
I would be grateful if somebody could help me, we are desperate.
Sometimes the person reading the application is confused. It has happened to me, where I am asked to fill a form, only for an application to be returned short while after with new contradictory instructions.
Check out videos on YouTube. There will be someone who has experienced a similar issue and they show how it was resolved.

Dan1000

Apr 16, 2024
Sometimes the person reading the application is confused. It has happened to me, where I am asked to fill a form, only for an application to be returned short while after with new contradictory instructions.
Check out videos on YouTube. There will be someone who has experienced a similar issue and they show how it was resolved.
Thanks, is there a limit on how many times my application can be rejected?

Lihei

Dec 27, 2023
Checkout the YouTube channel ‘Hit submit and Canada’. I was able to navigate through my application by watching his videos. His videos are very helpful. Hope you can find your answers.

Dan1000

Apr 16, 2024
Checkout the YouTube channel ‘Hit submit and Canada’. I was able to navigate through my application by watching his videos. His videos are very helpful. Hope you can find your answers.
Thank you I checked him out, but I am still confused, my daughter is 3 years old with Canadian citizenship, does she mean she is a dependent or not? Because in this guy's video he says a child with Canadian citizenship is NOT considered a dependent but when I look online and on the IRCC website it shows that my child IS a dependent, so who is wrong here?

In addition, I can't add a dependent in the profile page, so I have no idea what to do if I need to add her as a dependent. I would be really grateful for some help.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you I checked him out, but I am still confused, my daughter is 3 years old with Canadian citizenship, does she mean she is a dependent or not? Because in this guy's video he says a child with Canadian citizenship is NOT considered a dependent but when I look online and on the IRCC website it shows that my child IS a dependent, so who is wrong here?

I can't provide specific guidance on the online forms and how they are completed, and it seems they are less clear than they used to be.

I can, however, give the 'correct' answer(s) as to what your daughter's status etc is:
-short form: your daughter IS a dependant. But she is not and cannot be an APPLICANT to become a PR (because she is already a Canadian citizen).
-In form IMM5406 (additional family information), she should be included as a dependant, and indeed all family members should be added here regardless of whether they are applicants to become PRs.
-in form IMM0008, which is what the information in the image above corresponds to (if this terminology makes sense), she is NOT included as a dependant because it says "dependant(s) who are applying for permanent residence."

Occasionally htis split causes confusion at IRCC as well, and so it can (in my opinion) be a good idea to add a SHORT letter of explanation that such-and-such a dependant is not included as an applicant because already a citizen (include copy or citizenship proof).

Good luck.

Reactions: Dan1000

Dan1000

Apr 16, 2024
I can't provide specific guidance on the online forms and how they are completed, and it seems they are less clear than they used to be.

I can, however, give the 'correct' answer(s) as to what your daughter's status etc is:
-short form: your daughter IS a dependant. But she is not and cannot be an APPLICANT to become a PR (because she is already a Canadian citizen).
-In form IMM5406 (additional family information), she should be included as a dependant, and indeed all family members should be added here regardless of whether they are applicants to become PRs.
-in form IMM0008, which is what the information in the image above corresponds to (if this terminology makes sense), she is NOT included as a dependant because it says "dependant(s) who are applying for permanent residence."

Occasionally htis split causes confusion at IRCC as well, and so it can (in my opinion) be a good idea to add a SHORT letter of explanation that such-and-such a dependant is not included as an applicant because already a citizen (include copy or citizenship proof).

Good luck.
That's a great answer, thank you so much! It really clarified some things. I will definitely add a note that says why we don't have her as a dependent. I did list her in IMM 5406 and it still got rejected somehow, I even attached her proof of her citizenship in the additional documents section.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That's a great answer, thank you so much! It really clarified some things. I will definitely add a note that says why we don't have her as a dependent. I did list her in IMM 5406 and it still got rejected somehow, I even attached her proof of her citizenship in the additional documents section.
I do not understand why they are returning this and identifying the 5406 as a problem. That's why I was wondering if you'd left your spouse out somewhere.

A separate question (wild guess): was the 5406 completed from perspective of the applicant? Did she list YOU as a dependent?

Dan1000

Apr 16, 2024
I do not understand why they are returning this and identifying the 5406 as a problem. That's why I was wondering if you'd left your spouse out somewhere.

A separate question (wild guess): was the 5406 completed from perspective of the applicant? Did she list YOU as a dependent?
Yeah in the beginning of the form it is already marked as "yourself", so I answer for myself and add my spouse (even though she also is a Canadian citizen)