+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5401

Discussion in 'Family Class Sponsorship' started by jacquevw, Sep 23, 2010.

  1. I hope I am wrong, but I think I might have a problem!

    My Canadian wife has sent in my application about 2 weeks ago and we submitted a money order from the bank as payment.

    Did we have to submit the receipt form IMM 5401 with the application?How does it work? Not sure why I havnt seen or read anything about it until now!

    Please tell me I am wrong!!
  2. I'm afraid to let you know that's not how it works (sending a bank's money order along with the application)...
    Read this link throughly, the procedure of how payment must be done at a financial institution is there under the "Fees Receipt" section, point number 2 (this link is for permanent residence spousal applications outside Canada, is that your case?):

  3. Yes I am applying outland through Pretoria, South Africa. The payment was done through a Canadian Bank.

    I guess they will send my application back to me then?
  4. If you didn't pay online, then you need to order the IMM 5401 original receipt form from CIC. Once you get it, you can then go to a financial institution and pay the fees. This is what I did because I didn't want to pay online.
    There are 3 parts to the receipt form. One was for the bank to keep, the second one is your copy, and the third one is to be sent to CIC. :)
  5. I suppose that will be the case, yes.
    Sorry and good luck.
  6. Is this question is for Spousal based immigration ... or regular skilled worker application... ??
  7. It is a Spousal application.
  8. Then you can not send money order. They only accept online payment, or you through the reciept that you need to order from cic and then take it to bank for payment
  9. Wait a sec, can't you pay with money order if you are applying Outland?

    You need the IMM5401 if you are paying at a Canadian Bank, but is that necessary if you are paying from overseas?

    If you are paying from overseas, you can use a money order right?! Neither my spouse nor can pay online so this is how we plan on doing it...Or am I totally off my rocker? Do I need to get a credit card ASAP? :-O
  10. Sandwish I am just as confused as you are! I was under the impression that I can pay by international money order!.

    Mississauga received my application on 15 September and I haven't heard anything back yet concerning the payment. I ordered the 5401 receipt form just incase they need me to send it to them!

    All I can do now is wait and see what happens! I will post a reply on here when I find out what to do!
  11. Jacquesvw and sandwish sound like they are in the same situation as I am. I had another thread going on the same topic with no clear answers. If someone is applying to Sponsor their Spouse Outland from outside of Canada with an International Money Draft/Order paid in Canadian funds to a Canadian Bank do they need this IMM5401? It says on the CIC link that you need to have IMM5401 mailed to you if you are Paying at a Financial Institute in Canada. It does not say what to do if you are NOT paying at a financial institute in Canada.
  12. Ok, I sort of answered my own question by clicking on the order link for IMM5401 and it says that the fee receipt can only be delivered to addresses in Canada so that still leaves the question what are applicants supposed to do if they want to pay with a cashier check from outside of Canada?
  13. I suggest you to just call the cic for clarifications :)
  14. Maybe I'm being greedy but I was really hoping I could find the answer on this forum...I'm in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia and it isn't so easy with phone cards, time difference to get through to CIC. Hopefully, someone knows the answer.

Share This Page