+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM 5401 - Questions

StevenSmith3427

Aug 4, 2014
Hi all,

Ok, I'm almost done with my application, I'm currently paying my IMM 5401 online. However, I have a few questions:

1. I have an option to pick either "Spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class" or "Spouse or common-law partner, dependent children (including adopted children) and other family member outside Canada Class."

What confuses me here is the in Canada Class vs outside Canada Class, I'm not sure which to pick. My wife is a Canadian Citizen, we have no children, we have no family members that are coming over to Canada with us, I'm from England and my application will be an Outland application. I am leaning towards the Canada Class option, but want to be 100% certain, so if anyone could help that would be great.

2. As for my application fees, again my application will be Outland, I am from England, I have no kids, I am married to a Canadian citizen and I am 32 years of age. I have underlined and bolded the fees I believe I have to pay. Please could someone clarify that I have sleceted the correct fees:

Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada Class – Fees

Sponsorship application (per application) - 75

Principal applicant - 475

Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the principal applicant, or where a transitional provision applies, a family member of the principal applicant who is 22 years of age or older - 550

A family member of the principal applicant who is under 19 years of age and is not a spouse or common-law partner, or is 19 years of age or older who has been unable to be financially self-supporting since before the age of 19, due to a physical or mental condition - 150

Where a transitional provision applies, a family member of the principal applicant who:
is under 22 years of age, unmarried and not in a common-law relationship, or
is 22 years of age or older and has been unable to be financially self-supporting since before the age of 22, due to a physical or mental condition - 150

Total application fees come to 1100 CAD

Sorry for asking what appear to be common sense questions, I just can't afford to get any of my application wrong at this point.

Any help or advice would be more than welcomed.

Cheers!

Ste

StevenSmith3427

Aug 4, 2014
Still looking for answers, spent thew last 2 hours trying to find out the difference between:

"Spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class"

vs

"Spouse or common-law partner, dependent children (including adopted children) and other family member outside Canada Class."

I can't find a definition of Canada Class anywhere.

Canadianinlove

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
File Transfer...
01-06-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
29-10-2015
Passport Req..
30-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2015
LANDED..........
02-11-2015
StevenSmith3427 if you are the person being sponsored and you live OUTSIDE of Canada then you would pick outside Canada class
In Canada class is when you are currently in Canada

Inland versus Outland application...
Hope this helps.

StevenSmith3427 said:
Still looking for answers, spent thew last 2 hours trying to find out the difference between:

"Spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class"

vs

"Spouse[
/b]
or common-law partner, dependent children (including adopted children) and other family member outside Canada Class."

I can't find a definition of Canada Class anywhere.

StevenSmith3427

Aug 4, 2014
Thanks for the swift reply.

Officially I live in the UK, however I have been inside Canada staying with my wife since Sep 2014 as a traveler (been in and out of Canada every 4-5 months to review my traveler status).

To be honest I am a little confused by what you have said.

I do technically live outside Canada, so based of this I should select "Spouse or common-law partner, dependent children (including adopted children) and other family member outside Canada Class."

However, I am currently in Canada as a traveler, so I should select "Spouse or common-law partner in Canada Class."

My application is an Outland one, but on the IMM 5401 document it asks me to select one of the above.

Sorry about asking what seems like really easy questions, this stuff confuses me to no end.

Canadianinlove

Apr 21, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-2015
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
File Transfer...
01-06-2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-02-2015
Interview........
29-10-2015
Passport Req..
30-10-2015
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2015
LANDED..........
02-11-2015
good luck in your process.

StevenSmith3427 said:
Nevermind, all sorted. Thanks for the input! :)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
It really doesn't matter if you select "in Canada" or "outside Canada". The fees are the same regardless. Note that the $550 "Spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner of the principal applicant..." fee DOES NOT apply to spousal sponsorship apps.

PR fees:

Sponsorship application $75
Principal applicant fee $475
Right of Permanent Residence Fee $490

Total $1040