+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IMM-0008: Necessary to include dependents who are Can. citizens?

himajin

Feb 4, 2022
In the instructions for IMM-0008 (online version), it says:
You must provide details about each of your family members, whether they will come with you to Canada or not. You must list all your children even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada).

However, if you start filling out the form for one of the dependents, it says:
You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada.

This seems like a contradiction, although the relative commas and clauses make the second one rather ambiguous.

Basically, my sons are both Canadian citizens, and I want to know if I have to add them in IMM-0008. Can anyone explain whether they should be included or not?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In the instructions for IMM-0008 (online version), it says:
You must provide details about each of your family members, whether they will come with you to Canada or not. You must list all your children even if they are already permanent residents or citizens of Canada).

However, if you start filling out the form for one of the dependents, it says:
You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada.

This seems like a contradiction, although the relative commas and clauses make the second one rather ambiguous.

Basically, my sons are both Canadian citizens, and I want to know if I have to add them in IMM-0008. Can anyone explain whether they should be included or not?
No, you don't include them in IMM0008. That is for applicants to become PRs, and citizens (and PRs) are not eligible to become PRs.

All OTHER dependent children, whether estranged or not, must be included.

You do include them on additional family information form.

I can't speak to the overall instructions since you don't specify where - it probably is at a point when referring to the overall application package and not IMM0008 specifically. But maybe it does, it's not like there are no errors in all the reams of govt info. And certainly there are points where it's poorly written or ambiguous.

Reactions: YVR123

Downtown_YYZ Guy

Star Member
Sep 22, 2022
Hey @armoured QQ- I am a PR and I am sponsoring my wife and 1st child. 2nd child was born here. In IMM 008 i write 2 as number of family members right? Also do I need to do all these forms again for my 1st daughter or just including her as accompanying in IMM 008 is enough . I added her details in Family details as well .

NivedhithaCibi

Jul 22, 2019
Surrey
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
20-09-2021
Passport Req..
03-03-2022
LANDED..........
25-08-2022
Don't do that, just include PA children if they aren't citizens or PR yet. I did that mistake and got my application returned (check my sig). The only form to include everyone is in IMM 5406.

That text is indeed contradictory and IRCC should have fixed it.
Thanks a lot for the quick response . There is another question where it asks are you sponsoring anyone not part of this application . I should select no right since the accompanying child is part of the same application

Katie Du

Jun 28, 2023
So, to confirm, I do not need to include my Canadian Born Children in IMM 0008 Generic Application form. Correct? Thanks!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! Under this situation, I would like to ask if I still need to upload my Candian-born children's photos on the non-EE portal as they are not included in the application. Thanks!
As far as I'm aware, no. Note - best to include info on those children (eg proof of citizenship) with app. Ircc seems to often get confused or perhaps needs to confirm other children are citizens. Cut that oldelay off by leaving no doubt.

Katie Du

Jun 28, 2023
As far as I'm aware, no. Note - best to include info on those children (eg proof of citizenship) with app. Ircc seems to often get confused or perhaps needs to confirm other children are citizens. Cut that oldelay off by leaving no doubt.
Thank you! I uploaded their birth certificates. And explained in the Letter of Explanation. Hope these will help them to understand!

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you! I uploaded their birth certificates. And explained in the Letter of Explanation. Hope these will help them to understand!
To be fair to IRCC, it's probably the mistake or oversight of the applicants 85% + of the time. The other occasions: they are understandably VERY cautious about inadvertently leaving children out, because it can result in a lifetime ban on those children being sponsored by their parents.

Reactions: Katie Du