+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ILETS required for British Citizens?

eballard

Jul 11, 2012
Hi everyone,

I am currently looking into applying for PR under the Federal Skilled Workers Ph.D. stream and it appears that I may have to take a language test for the application. Can anyone give me a definitive answer that I have to take it? I was born and raised in England and studied English language and English literature at school, completed my undergraduate studies and Masters also in the United Kingdom. It seems odd that I would be required to take an English test presumably designed for people who do not have English as the primary language.

Is this test something that only recently has been applied to all new applicants? Its not that I am concerned about the test - I believe with minimal studying (getting to know the format and style of questions) I will pass with ease and relatively high scores.

If it is the case and I have to sit the test for the application then I will. It just seems like a waste of resources and time doing so.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

world.citizen

Star Member
May 24, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
10-07-2012
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-07-2012
LANDED..........
Soon!
From what I understand, the IELTS is simply a measure of one's English proficiency and is not necessarily intended or designed for non-English speakers. As far as I know, the general IELTS is mandatory for all FSW category applicants regardless of their nationality.

carlopop

Star Member
Jun 18, 2012
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-07-2012
AOR Received.
15-08-2012
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
17-04-2013
Med's Done....
25-04-2013
LANDED..........
08-11-2013
Hey eballard, I am a British citizen aswell and YES I had to take it for my CEC application. It is not hard at all, however don't underestimate the test. It is for all PR applicants.

You hit the nail on the head, get to know the format and style of the questions and you will breeze through. I was caught off guard with the speaking test as the questions were random :eek:. However, I did great and with a little preparation so will you. ;D

waterlily

Jul 19, 2012
carlopop said:
Hey eballard, I am a British citizen aswell and YES I had to take it for my CEC application. It is not hard at all, however don't underestimate the test. It is for all PR applicants.

You hit the nail on the head, get to know the format and style of the questions and you will breeze through. I was caught off guard with the speaking test as the questions were random :eek:. However, I did great and with a little preparation so will you. ;D
Congratulations ;D