+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

if you can't find a guarantor or 4 references ,does it mean you are doomed ?

Feb 29, 2024
3 people, not 4. One guarantor and 2 references.
And it seems hard to believe you don't know 1 Canadian citizen and 2 other people who live in Canada, but whatever.
The guarantor can be "skipped", have a look here : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/travel-documents-references-guarantors.html#no-guarantor
The references, well, you'll need to ask people you know. Unless you've lived in complete autarky, you've met at least 2 people who know you exist, ask them.
The question isn't "knowing" people. The question is will they chicken out. You have no idea how many of your "friends" will immediately freak out and say no to become your reference.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
The question isn't "knowing" people. The question is will they chicken out. You have no idea how many of your "friends" will immediately freak out and say no to become your reference.
Well, we can agree on the quotation marks for the word friends if they're not even willing to do something as simple as that that will cost them absolutely nothing. But for the overwhelming majority of passport applicants, including naturalized Canadians, getting those 3 people isn't a problem.
And yeah, nothing in the references page in the official website says they need to be in Canada. It's just that them being overseas may delay the application if it makes them harder to reach by phone. So, if "friends" chicken out, feel free to use friends back home who won't.

Reactions: YVR123 and armoured

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's answering simple phone call to say that they do know this person (OP) and yes he/she exist.
I have been reference for my friend for passport, job, police training ...etc. It's not hard NOR scary.

foodie69

VIP Member
Dec 18, 2015
It's so dumb man. They got our PR card, they got our eye pictures, our fingerprints and we have to beg to some jerk off to "verify the identity". Like what is this bs. Maybe there are "other" unethical means to get references but most law abiding immigrants don't want to do that. This is discrimination against people who in non-usual employment and introverts. People like @armoured defend it by making excuses but it's a sh**t policy and anyone with two brain cells will know that.
How's your dream going, migrant?

Feb 29, 2024
Well, we can agree on the quotation marks for the word friends if they're not even willing to do something as simple as that that will cost them absolutely nothing. But for the overwhelming majority of passport applicants, including naturalized Canadians, getting those 3 people isn't a problem.
And yeah, nothing in the references page in the official website says they need to be in Canada. It's just that them being overseas may delay the application if it makes them harder to reach by phone. So, if "friends" chicken out, feel free to use friends back home who won't.
This is like becoming a therapy session, I like it. You're right, I do need better friends. But how can you expect a simpleton Uber driver to have a large social gathering. The most fun we have is sipping our double double in an empty parking lot while listening to our foreign music. But I will be working on becoming a dental hygienist next year though so hopefully when I will be putting my fingers in the diseased mouths of other Canadians to relieve them of their dental pain, perhaps they might be willing to sign the reference form for me when I renew the passport.

• Haha
Reactions: Mounat
Feb 29, 2024
It's answering simple phone call to say that they do know this person (OP) and yes he/she exist.
I have been reference for my friend for passport, job, police training ...etc. It's not hard NOR scary.
Not always that easy. They ask for your height, how you know them, and a bunch of other stuff too. One of the black guys I met briefly told me that their reference was asked if their friend was Italian lolol. 99% of the agents might be good but the 1% are just straight up trolling and giggling with your references.

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
This is like becoming a therapy session, I like it. You're right, I do need better friends. But how can you expect a simpleton Uber driver to have a large social gathering. The most fun we have is sipping our double double in an empty parking lot while listening to our foreign music. But I will be working on becoming a dental hygienist next year though so hopefully when I will be putting my fingers in the diseased mouths of other Canadians to relieve them of their dental pain, perhaps they might be willing to sign the reference form for me when I renew the passport.
Always wondered about that. Does the reference need to know they're a reference? What if you just put down your landlord's info and they receive a call asking about you? They'll answer all the questions and it's done. I agree, this reference thing is dumb, and provides no additional security whatsoever. There's no such requirement when applying for a US passport.

Feb 29, 2024
Always wondered about that. Does the reference need to know they're a reference? What if you just put down your landlord's info and they receive a call asking about you? They'll answer all the questions and it's done. I agree, this reference thing is dumb, and provides no additional security whatsoever. There's no such requirement when applying for a US passport.
I'd say so yeah. I would be considered very rude otherwise to put someone down as a ref and they getting a call randomly. I'm also thinking about putting my landlady. But it's not just one, it's 4 (3 with guarantors)

Reactions: YVR123

Mounat

Star Member
Sep 15, 2022
Texas
I'd say so yeah. I would be considered very rude otherwise to put someone down as a ref and they getting a call randomly. I'm also thinking about putting my landlady. But it's not just one, it's 4 (3 with guarantors)
Since the application doesn't specify the quality of the relationship between you and the reference, just the length, I would use the landlady and others you have similar contacts/relations with. You don't have to be friends, or even friendly. You just need a name and a number of someone who generally, even if vaguely, knows your name and some of your particulars. And the best part is, they don't even have to be Canadian or live in Canada. For now, write down the phone numbers of friends and family in your home country, so immigration can call them in the middle of the night. Make sure to remind your friends to give them an earful when they call about how inconsiderate they are to be calling at such an hour. :D

Reactions: dreamingmigrant
Feb 29, 2024
Since the application doesn't specify the quality of the relationship between you and the reference, just the length, I would use the landlady and others you have similar contacts/relations with. You don't have to be friends, or even friendly. You just need a name and a number of someone who generally, even if vaguely, knows your name and some of your particulars. And the best part is, they don't even have to be Canadian or live in Canada. For now, write down the phone numbers of friends and family in your home country, so immigration can call them in the middle of the night. Make sure to remind your friends to give them an earful when they call about how inconsiderate they are to be calling at such an hour. :D
I knew a born Canadian with a valid passport and asked him to become my guarantor, to my surprise he refused. So the only option is using 4 references and putting two of them in my home country. I have no choice.

• Sad
Reactions: YVR123 and mbaleine

Ouluman

Feb 29, 2016
I knew a born Canadian with a valid passport and asked him to become my guarantor, to my surprise he refused. So the only option is using 4 references and putting two of them in my home country. I have no choice.
why didn't you list him or her as a reference instead?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Not always that easy. They ask for your height, how you know them, and a bunch of other stuff too. One of the black guys I met briefly told me that their reference was asked if their friend was Italian lolol. 99% of the agents might be good but the 1% are just straight up trolling and giggling with your references.
I was asked about weight and height and I told them the relative height of my own.. and just a guestimate.
I think if you really do know that person, you do know the height (like I am up to about his shoulder... etc)
Italian or not... I think it's ok if it's not way off.
I though my neighbours where Italians until much later found out that they are Greeks.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
You will have many classmates from your dental hygienist classes.