+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If my PR application is denied and my OWP is expired , what are my options?

susanna80

Nov 19, 2019
I've applied for PR in Quebec through common-law sponsorship and I have an open work permit that I applied for inland along with our application. My question is, if my PR is denied and my OWP expires, what are my options? Can I apply to change my status to a visitor again? As I've understood it I can't extend my OWP unless an employer helps me. In these cases, would I normally be given 6-12 months on my visitor's Visa? Could I apply for a student Visa? Having trouble finding the information.....

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I've applied for PR in Quebec through common-law sponsorship and I have an open work permit that I applied for inland along with our application. My question is, if my PR is denied and my OWP expires, what are my options? Can I apply to change my status to a visitor again? As I've understood it I can't extend my OWP unless an employer helps me. In these cases, would I normally be given 6-12 months on my visitor's Visa? Could I apply for a student Visa? Having trouble finding the information.....
Any particular reason you think your PR app will be refused?

You would need to apply for visitor status or a study permit prior to your work permit expiring. No one can say how long you would be given.

susanna80

Nov 19, 2019
Any particular reason you think your PR app will be refused?

You would need to apply for visitor status or a study permit prior to your work permit expiring. No one can say how long you would be given.
Thank you for your reply! We are worried because even though we have lived together since 2015 we are having trouble producing required documents. First I lived with my partner in his ap and then we moved in to my ap. Problem.is we stayed written on our individual ap when we lived together. We just thought it was easier. And we never had a joint bank account or joint insurance etc. Of course we have sent plenty of other documents to support our cohabitation but we are missing the most vital ones. We have been living together here now for 1.5 years so worst case we re-apply...at least here we have a joint lease etc...