+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If I go to US, can I come back to Canada with my situation?

diego.f

Dec 12, 2015
Hi all,

I'm a visiting research student from Italy with a 6 months tourist permit. For some reason, I decided to extend my stay and I applied about 2 months ago for a study permit through the cic website. I have the invitation letter from my university and a proposal for a research assistantship to pay my expenses, so I think I won't have any problems for the new permit process, I have only to wait.

I was planning to go in us for a couple of days and I realized my 6 months as tourist expired this week, and I still haven't received the new student permit, so I'm something like in a limbo.

My question is, if I go outside Canada for this travel, can I come back in again?

Thank you!

HoPe90

Nov 19, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
IN LAND
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/01/2016
Doc's Request.
22/11/2016
Nomination.....
06/12/2016
AOR Received.
19/07/2016
If your tourist permit has epxired, i would not advise you to leave the country as you no longer have valid visa for you to re enter .

I think you should wait till you get your new valid visa before leaving the country because they may not let you back in .

Good luck!!

diego.f

Dec 12, 2015
Thank you for you reply! I would like to formulate my question also in another way, I'm finding confusing information online. Once the 6 months as a tourist are expired, if you go outside Canada and want to come back, is it possible to ask to the officer other 6 months, waiting the student permit will be processed? It should look like a second travel since Canada doesn't place a stamp when you go out. I don't see any differences with my situation when I arrived with the plane, when I showed all the required forms and documentation. Am I missing something?

Thank you

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agreed with HoPe90.

you can receive another 6 month tourist stamp at any port of entry, but it doesn't mean there is guarantee that you would receive 6 month.
even you applied for study permit, still you do not hold any valid permit but visitor visa (and would expire soon)

If it is not necessary trip to US, I would wait for study permit .
You can legally stay in Canada as implied status till you gets any result regarding to study permit.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

diego.f said:
Thank you for you reply! I would like to formulate my question also in another way, I'm finding confusing information online. Once the 6 months as a tourist are expired, if you go outside Canada and want to come back, is it possible to ask to the officer other 6 months, waiting the student permit will be processed? It should look like a second travel since Canada doesn't place a stamp when you go out. I don't see any differences with my situation when I arrived with the plane, when I showed all the required forms and documentation. Am I missing something?

Thank you

Since you are from a TRV exempt country, you are allowed to leave/re-enter Canada while on an implied status. VO at POE will decide your duration, you will have to satisfy VO that you have sufficient means of support as long as application is under processing.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Just remember that implied status ceases as soon as you cross the border.

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

zardoz said:
Just remember that implied status ceases as soon as you cross the border.

"A temporary resident with implied status who has left Canada may:

be allowed to re-enter Canada as a temporary resident, pending a decision on the renewal of their application to study or work in Canada, provided they are TRV exempt as per R190 or on a multiple-entry visa.

They may not resume work or study in Canada until their application for renewal has been granted. For those not able to resume work, they must satisfy the BSO that they have sufficient means of support. (Note that this applies to foreign nationals who are TRV exempt as per R190(3)(f) and to those on multiple-entry visas.)"

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/temp/visa/validity/implied.asp

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Correct. However, any benefits from implied status, such as being able to study or work cease. You re-enter with a fresh status. Also note the word "may". That's not the same as "will" or "must".

karatepu

Aug 4, 2015
Hi Diego, can I ask you if you applied within Canada for Your study permit. Because I received dissonant information, I mean that you can not apply in the country when you are on a tourist visa.

Thank you

J5M

Champion Member
May 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

karatepu said:
Hi Diego, can I ask you if you applied within Canada for Your study permit. Because I received dissonant information, I mean that you can not apply in the country when you are on a tourist visa.

Thank you

You got a correct information.