+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If CBSA don't track exits to Europe, how can a border officer know when you left

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
worriedanxious007 said:
But the CBSA website does state clearly they cannot track exits from Canada. Except for the phase exit/entry to US
Why do you still insist CBSA can't track your travel history despite what everyone has told you to the contrary?? In this electronic day and age, your passport information and CBSA's resources can very quickly determine your flights and entries/exits from other countries, and paint a clear picture of how long you've been in or out of Canada. Not to mention all your flights are recorded electronically in a database kept by each and every airline and also the US if you've flown through their airspace. Plus it's not just tracking exits... if they see an entry in some other country that obviously means you exited Canada on a certain date.

CRA or Service Canada can determine when Canadians or PRs leave Canada so no longer qualify for certain tax/EI benefits that require residence in Canada. How could they do this with no exit tracking?
Each province is able to investigate if Canadians or PRs have been outside Canada long enough to no longer qualify for healthcare. How could they do this with no exit tracking?
CIC is able to determine if PRs are lying on applications when it comes to renewing PR card and meeting residency obligation, or for applying for citizenship and meeting days present in Canada. How could they do this with no exit tracking?

The fact is exit tracking is not routinely tracked for each and every traveler. But if CBSA (or another government division) wants to know your travel history for any reason, it's a relatively easy process to determine it. If you try to lie about it and are caught lying, you will find yourself in a much more serious situation. You should always be honest about questions CBSA asks you (including travel history) when asked.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I know for a fact , they only know basic details from a passport-it does not hold travel details! And much of the information held in the database is given from previous E declaration cards!! I read everything about Canadian privacy laws and they currently do NOT track exits from the country.
I also read what this officer had to say:
https://milepoint.com/forums/threads/former-canadian-border-services-officer-answers-questions-on-reddit.70811/

I'm sorry if I'm coming across as rude, I'm not a person who ever lies to anyone let alone authorities, but I'm trying to make sense of how my information is being kept and used by authorities. I'm upset that I had to take ths time from Canada to get on my feet, get educated and pay debt owing to the 407 thanks to a gambling addict ex spouse who ran up so much debt in my name, only to find i might not ever be able to return. I've really paid off all debts and educated to a level where i can really do something productive in Canada. So please understand if feelings are running high. I understand i can only have three years absence in total, but I'm wondering whether four years absence guarantees me too be reported?
My first five years in Canada i didn't leave and renewed with no issues. I know nobody here has 100% answers but going on what you've read over the years, how likely am i to be reported? I'm from a visa exempt european country by the way.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
worriedanxious007 said:
I know for a fact , they only know basic details from a passport-it does not hold travel details! And much of the information held in the database is given from previous E declaration cards!! I read everything about Canadian privacy laws and they currently do NOT track exits from the country.
Again you are not reading what I just stated. They do not routinely check exits or bother to go through all your travel history. To do this for every since person that passes a POE, would be way too time consuming and take up too many resources.

But what everyone is telling you is that CBSA can indeed get all your travel info if they want to!! This would most likely require a CBSA officer being suspicious of you for whatever reason and referring you to secondary inspection where they can then spend the time to get all your travel details.

As I mentioned this is commonly done by various other government divisions, which wouldn't be possible if there were no way to track exits as you declare.

So basically if someone is short on RO when they arrive back to a POE, they could possibly lie about their time abroad, initial CBSA officer may not have the info on hand to confirm, not suspect them, and simply let them in no problem. OR, they may be suspicious of them, may have information to the contrary and may refer them to secondary inspection, and if determined they were lying (which CBSA can definitely do), then the PR is in a whole lot more trouble.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
I have just requested a CBSA travel report to see what is on there, just for the hell of it.
I do understand what you are saying.
My final question is.... ! Considering my circumstances and the general statistics on people being reported, do you think there is a big possibility I am going to be reported?
I know you can't know for sure but I guess you have spoken to plenty of people on here and have an idea

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
worriedanxious007 said:
I have just requested a CBSA travel report to see what is on there, just for the hell of it.
I do understand what you are saying.
My final question is.... ! Considering my circumstances and the general statistics on people being reported, do you think there is a big possibility I am going to be reported?
I know you can't know for sure but I guess you have spoken to plenty of people on here and have an idea
I have not read your entire situation but this might help - http://www.thestar.com/news/privacy-blog/2015/03/what-your-canada-border-services-agency-file-looks-like.html

Also you know when they scan your passport at check in and then boarding pass/passport again at the gate before flight - this info goes into their system and hence records your exits.
Entries are obviously recorded.

Now - for your question about the chance of getting reported after 4 years abroad - it really depends on what questions the officer asks. Sometimes they will ask you the purpose of the trip etc....but if they ask you how long were you away for - then you will most likely be reported ( if not reported they would put a note on your file or something).
So no one here can say what will happen.

Also why did you never come to Canada for 4 years - like even if you would have regularly visited Canada that might have helped ( i know it still might not add to 2 years but still)

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
CBSA don't track exits per se/ you need to be more informed before commenting. Your passport does not record travel information only personal data.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dont know why are you being so stubborn despite of so many people just above me mention that the can find out if they need to.

You are correct passport is just personal data - but they can pull up records from their database using your passport INFO - IF THEY WANT TO.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
And hey I am just trying to help. Most likely you can just breeze through immigration if that makes you feel better.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
This site is the equivalent of a medical site online, it fills people with unnecessary worry. If you are all immigration experts why not open up a legal firm and make money from it?
So far, the offical CBSA site and also the privacy site state that exits (unless to US) are not tracked. However,any declaration cards filled in are saved and therefore previous exit history can be gathered from those.
Otherwise, at present, they are not tracking it.
YES of course with digging deeper they can find out more, obviously. But my question is about the initial encounter with a border officer.
Anyway, I am not going to be taking any risks I have too much to lose. I am basically adding my opinion.
None of you, with the odd exception, are really experts nor always right.

vermanaman

Nov 12, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Look...it is upto you to use the info provided here. You can choose to avoid it.

Now, if it makes you feel better - at the initial encounter - they wont see anything but your passport. That said, what are you trying to achieve here? What if a CBSA officer asks you how long were you away for?
Coming back from my recent trip to UK, the CBSA officer asked me how long was my trip.

If that happens, you must tell the truth ( and i dont doubt that) - once you do - they may or may not report you. If they do, they will let you into canada and you will have a chance to appeal which takes about 12 months.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
You doubt it? Thanks for the vote of confidence lol, I'm not going to deceive the system I'm not ballsy enough I'll just take my chances with the truth.
Can I ask, how often do they report people? And while the report is in place and an appeal is awaited am i legally able to work etc in Canada in the meantime?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
A general comment, then I'm done with this thread:

There is a common phenomenon, especially on immigration fora I've noticed, that when a poster does not get the answer s/he *wants* to hear to his/her question, s/he he will stubbornly continue to attempt to refute the unwelcome answers. Often the truthful ones. And/or provide links to dubious sources (yes, an anonymous poster on reddit, for example comes into this category for me!).

Rob_TO gave you some good examples of how government agencies cross-reference with each other to verify data, viz. CRA with CBSA to check citizens' and PRs' eligibility for EI benefits etc. It was recently announced CIC will be cross-checking with CRA to check PR residency compliance.

Bottom line, in a nutshell, assume they know, or can find out, everything.

worriedanxious007

Star Member
Jul 30, 2013
We cleared up ths situation above and I tend to agree with you , but if someone doesn't question things then is it to just be accepted.
I want to know all the facts for certain before making a decision, that is all.
I see varying sources of information, including CBSA's actual website.
And tax returns won't verify presence, you can file from abroad and many don't work as are housewives.