+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

If applicant is over 54 and doesn't need test...

JPBless

May 14, 2018
Is the process - I mean processing time - faster for someone over 54 and doesn't need language proof or knowledge test? Anyone (in that age bracket) know the answer?

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
I'm under the impression that the fact that there is no test requirement doesn't really speed up the process. They still require background checks and an interview, the same as any other applicant.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experience.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
I'm under the impression that the fact that there is no test requirement doesn't really speed up the process. They still require background checks and an interview, the same as any other applicant.

I'm sure others will chime in with their experience.
It doesn't appear to be any advantage at all. I base this on my own ongoing experience. The whole process is stupidly slow compared to the UK for example.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
It doesn't appear to be any advantage at all. I base this on my own ongoing experience. The whole process is stupidly slow compared to the UK for example.
(Not meaning to hijack the thread, but...) Isn't it more difficult to get into the UK's penal colony than the UK itself? lol

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
What Affects Processing Timeline; Can Timeline Be Accelerated?

Is the process - I mean processing time - faster for someone over 54 and doesn't need language proof or knowledge test? Anyone (in that age bracket) know the answer?
Concur with others. There is NO hint at all that being test exempt (as I was) will accelerate the processing time. Test-exempt applicants are almost always (if not always) scheduled for the INTERVIEW concurrent with test-interview events routinely scheduled for those who are not test-exempt. (Thus, after arrival for the scheduled event, most applicants take the test, and those who are test-exempt are interviewed while the others are taking the test.)

Other than qualifying for, requesting, and being given "urgent" processing, in general there is virtually nothing an applicant can do to accelerate the timeline.

Note, however, the faster routine processing timelines are often quite fast compared to the timeline for most routinely processed applications. Long term historical information suggests that most routinely processed citizenship applications take twice as long, or longer, than the fastest applications. A significant percentage take three times as long EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE ROUTINELY PROCESSED with NO delays.

Which leads to the other side of the equation: there are many factors, and many things an applicant might do, which can lead to a LONGER TIMELINE.

In other words, an applicant has very little if any control over how fast the process will take. BUT the applicant has a lot of control over things which can result in how SLOW the process might be.

Ranging from making mistakes in the application to applying when there might be questions about meeting the presence requirement, and including a broad range of particular issues or circumstances, such as living abroad while the application is in process or having had an arrest even though dismissed, there are way too many things which can slow the process to attempt enumerating them, many of which can trigger non-routine processing which tends to result in at least short delays and sometimes lengthy delays (significant mistakes in presence-calculation plus a small margin, for example, increases risk of RQ and a very lengthy delay in processing).

For the test-exempt applicant compared to an applicant taking the test, for example, if the latter fails to adequately prepare for the test and fails the first attempt, obviously that will result in a delay in processing for which the test-exempt applicant has NO risk.

Edit to clarify: Above observations are about adult applicants.

Last edited:

JPBless

May 14, 2018
To all who responded; thanks very much appreciated.

A little info on the applicant... Over 1700 days within the eligibility period, 36 days absence in 5 years; paid taxes the last 5 years; was employed all the time of the eligibility period. Nevertheless, I agree, predicting accurate timeline here would still be a guessing game. Again, thanks all.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
To all who responded; thanks very much appreciated.

A little info on the applicant... Over 1700 days within the eligibility period, 36 days absence in 5 years; paid taxes the last 5 years; was employed all the time of the eligibility period. Nevertheless, I agree, predicting accurate timeline here would still be a guessing game. Again, thanks all.
That's a pretty common profile, I think. What location?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My partner's Canadian app took about 5 months from submission to approva, which I don't find to be slow. How long does the UK take?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
My partner's Canadian app took about 5 months from submission to approva, which I don't find to be slow. How long does the UK take?
My wife applied 2nd May and took the UK oath on 10th July. Non-expedited, normal processing. 2 months 8 days.

You can see below how mine is going :-(

DavEd

Star Member
Mar 15, 2018
The process is slower than the UK I get ....
but someone who has a routine case will become a Canadian citizen faster than a UK citizen because the residency requirements for applying for Canadian citizenship is only 1095 days in the last 5 years
In the UK you must have stayed in the UK for the preceding 5 years before you can apply....

Ooh... and it costs 4 times more to apply for UK citizenship than Canadian citizenship..... $2 400 specifically...

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
but someone who has a routine case will become a Canadian citizen faster than a UK citizen because the residency requirements for applying for Canadian citizenship is only 1095 days in the last 5 years
In the UK you must have stayed in the UK for the preceding 5 years before you can apply....

Ooh... and it costs 4 times more to apply for UK citizenship than Canadian citizenship..... $2 400 specifically...
That is only partially true. The Spouse of a UK citizen is eligible after only 3 years of residence. https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/section/6 clause 2. Also https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/61/schedule/1 paragraph 3.

In fact, if you look carefully, it's only 825 days physical residency in those 3 years.

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012

For $2400 they should throw in complementary citizenship to other Commonwealth countries...