hostallica

Aug 23, 2013
Dears i just got my ielts results:
Listening=8
Reading=7.5
Writing=6.5
Speaking=7
Overall=7.5

Should i retake the test or i can apply using this one?
Noting that i have 8 years work experience and 29 years old. Also my wife took the ielts test and she got over all score of 6.5

Please advise :)

MZASAM

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh my God, you are the latest victim of 6.5 :'(

IELTS is making it a regular policy (Revenue Earning) by assigning 6.5 in writing. :eek:

Many of us have suffered this blow and a trauma. I suffered thrice.. gave up and applied. :(

My present CRS is 432,, If I would have got 7 in writing my CRS would have been 482, getting a direct ITA.. :-X :'( :-X :'( :-X :'(

MZASAM

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Two options

1. Remarking - Spend money wait for 8 - 10 weeks. IF lucky they will add .5 which is doubtful in majority of remarking applications.

2. Dare, appear again, and be mentally prepared for an unpredictable score.
:(

kirtivsingh

Dec 13, 2011
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
hostallica said:
Dears i just got my ielts results:
Listening=8
Reading=7.5
Writing=6.5
Speaking=7
Overall=7.5

Should i retake the test or i can apply using this one?
Noting that i have 8 years work experience and 29 years old. Also my wife took the ielts test and she got over all score of 6.5

Please advise :)
From my experience I find writing is the the worst for all who don't have English as first language.
MY suggestion give the test again.
Advice practice writing some letters etc (Note:- Do not try to think in your mother tongue and than translate in English)
Think in English only than you will form correct sentences.
Another thing do not repeat words and sentences. Display as much as you can your vocabulary.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Genuine question here: If there is a lot of problems around the writing portion, has anyone (who scored well in the writing portion) considered offering some sort of help for those who need it?

My thought is this: A lot of people suggest writing letters, etc., before taking the test for practice. But who is actually looking at those written letters to suggest changes or point out what is incorrect? What if a group of those who scored well volunteered to do this? Would it even be useful for anyone? Would anyone take them up on it?

hostallica

Aug 23, 2013
So you all mean that i cant apply with this score even if the chance is low, i have to retake the test

vineshparekh

Jul 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-11-2015
Nomination.....
13-11-22015
AOR Received.
11-12-2015
Med's Done....
23-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-05-2016
mgnlky said:
Genuine question here: If there is a lot of problems around the writing portion, has anyone (who scored well in the writing portion) considered offering some sort of help for those who need it?

My thought is this: A lot of people suggest writing letters, etc., before taking the test for practice. But who is actually looking at those written letters to suggest changes or point out what is incorrect? What if a group of those who scored well volunteered to do this? Would it even be useful for anyone? Would anyone take them up on it?
I got 7 in writing and my suggestion is to use good and different conjunctions to connect sentences. Don't use small sentences and try to connect to one by writing another sentence to favor that or in against of that.
Keep your answer around the question so the reader doesn't get confused and keep in mind clearly the difference between formal, semi formal and informal letter and make a list of words which can be used in different letters.
I liked writing letters and have them read by different people and have more suggestions.
I got lucky that I was asked an informal letter which is not so difficult
Best luck

kirtivsingh

Dec 13, 2011
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-02-2016
Med's Done....
12-02-2016
Passport Req..
03-08-2016
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2016
LANDED..........
21-08-2016
mgnlky said:

I scored 8 and I have written basic information in the thread above.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
mgnlky said:

I wasn't asking as a "what can I do" type thing, as I am past the IELTS portion of the process. I was asking if anyone had brought up this sort of thing as a way to help others. We can give advice as to what to do to improve the score all day long, but unless there is some sort of guidance to tell them if they're doing well, what to improve, etc., in the actual writing, there's only so much good advice on a forum can do.

akryptik

Star Member
May 20, 2016
Hey,

Usually I'm the one asking random stuff here on this forum, but I feel like contributing something on IELTS domain and share my experience.

I had 2 IELTS test, Academic and General both. Never practiced for Academic, just got the idea of the pattern of Listening and had gone through reading/writing pattern. I scored overall 7 (R/W-7, L-6.5, S-7.5) - after that I appeared in General, had to score 8 in listening to make the most out of CRC point and finished with (R/W/L-8 and S-7), I only practiced handful of listening tests and set the target of 35-36 right answers to score 8. Didn't even touch reading, writing part.

Point is, English is not my first language, neither it has been my mode of communication, having said that, I watched a lot of english movies and tv dramas, so that might have helped me in some way or other. What I believe, you can score well by just going by the books.

- Listening is all about your smartness to grasp the said words/statement and decipher the context
- Reading is all about skimming and searching, I did read the whole text in my first attempt, hardly read on second try, just skimming to find the matching words, and if you got time, you can read to verify but focus of skimming
- Speaking, just be smart enough to produce and present your ideas well, I believed my second speaking test gone better than previous, but score tells a different thing
- Writing, I have no large set of vocabulary, neither I memorized anything. All I can say about writing is you have to elaborate your answer thoroughly, usually they ask you to defend one out of two options, and justify your choice, so you can opt for the one and do your best to defend, but at the end, do drop few lines on "what-if-then-else" thing on the other option. Don't completely ruled the other option out.

Generally, these tips helped me, so I hope it might help you too:
- I've been told to use pen for writing task and not pencil, pencils make it difficult to read
- Don't bother yourself to count words, it's better to write more so just put your emphasis on writing instead of word count (I took 2 extra sheet, my 150 min word task were actually 250+ words)
- Skimming, as I mentioned earlier, helped a lot in writing
- Don't bother wasting your time on reading and writing training material, there is 99.9% chance that you won't get the same text in exam so why waste your time. Instead focus on developing strategy on how to write on any topic, like brainstorming on the topic (like, What is this, How it works, What if this, What if it not?, Ok if it is like this then what?, But there is this thing also?, What is better, Conclusion) - this will make you very comfortable writing on any topic
- They say you to practice in front of mirror for speaking, Please Don't. At the time of speaking test, it's mostly the inner fear that gets into your way and the not pretty face of the instructor, so it's better to make your fear disappear by being confident and showing yourself that you indeed are confident. You can practice speaking english by visualizing yourself at the exam center and assuming the questions yourself, better to watch youtube videos of student having speaking test. I develop the sort-of-english-accent just by trying to copy the english actors - so you can practice it even when you're out or on bed sleeping .

That's all I guess, Good Luck!

canadianrrk

Mar 12, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
19-april-2016
Passport Req..
31-Jan-2017
hi,

I suggest u retake the test, if u retake in India then i suggest go for British Council and not IDP.........my 1st attempt L8.5, R7.5, W 6.5, S8.......writing 6.5 limited my score to 417..........in 2nd attempt, it was L-9, R-7.5, S-8, W-7...and my CRS went to 475 and got my ITA in next draw, if u have any issues with any of the modules just PM me, il guide u to my best.

cheers,
Rrk.

crimsonautumn

Star Member
Mar 6, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would also be willing to help. You can PM me if you need help. I got L-9,R-9,S-7.5 and W-7.5 (First attempt, British Council)

Aby444

Oct 10, 2014
Abuja
Category........
Visa Office......
AVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-12-2014
IELTS Request
Sent with App
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
16 - 05- 2016
LANDED..........
JUNE 26, 2016
Hi,

I took the IELTS twice because I was so distracted in the first one that my listening score was low but I got an overall band score of 7.5. My first score for writing was W-7 That gave me a CRS score of 412.

I retook the IELTS exam and scored R-9, L-9, W-8.5, S-8.5. what did I do different. I went on google and looked for essays that had a high score. I must have read about 100 of them. just read, reread and even practice a few. the only punctuations you need in writing an essay are Comma ',' and '.' Period/fullstop. organise your sentences so you have at least 4 paragraphs. And simple words always trump big words used incorrectly.

This sites really helped me in structuring my essays. There was one I used the most because it was so good. but I cant seem to find the link. I will send an update when I find it.

http://ielts88.com/ielts-writing-%E2%80%93-ielts-essays-writing-samples-for-9-bands/

http://www.ielts-blog.com/ielts-writing-samples/ielts-essay-samples-of-band-8/

so prepare agaiin and boost your score. You can DO it.

Good Luck