+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS requirement

roto chris

Oct 26, 2008
hi there!

i'm planning to immigrate to canada and was told that IELTS is required. i have taken the test and has an average of 6.5 score. do i need to take the exam again and get a higher score than that?

i have a toefl score that i'd taken for studying here in usa which is 553 (paper-based toefl.) can i simply show that score instead?

what is the best thing to do?

thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You have to look at the immigration class you are going under and see what their requirements are. If you are going for skilled worker, you can get more points if you get a higher score.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

roto chris said:
hi there!

i'm planning to immigrate to canada and was told that IELTS is required. i have taken the test and has an average of 6.5 score. do i need to take the exam again and get a higher score than that?

i have a toefl score that i'd taken for studying here in usa which is 553 (paper-based toefl.) can i simply show that score instead?

what is the best thing to do?

thank you.
1. The IELTS cannot be older than 1 year when you submit your application.
2. It is not your overall score that effects the points, it is the points that you received in each section, see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op06e.pdf page 18
3. It is IELTS or CELPIP

PMM

roto chris

Oct 26, 2008
i got it.

but what if my score is 5.5, 5.5, 7, 7, respectively. with an average of 6.5, is there a chance that i will not be qualified as a skilled worker immigrant?

so does that mean that i can't use my toefl score as proof of my english proficiency?

what is your best suggestion for the scores that i got?

thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to assess your total score, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG74.asp

For each of the categories you got 7, you can get 4 points and for each of the 5.5 categories, you can get 2 so total 12 points for languages. If you need more points for languages, you need to get 7 or higher in more categories or learn French.

CIC asks for IELTS. They do not accept TOEFL.

Skilled worker is undergoing some rule changes though. They are already working by the new rules so you can't escape them by applying now but they have not posted yet what they are exactly. The program may be tied to certain occupations in the future. Rules are supposed to get posted sometime next month.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Right now just rumours. That maybe they will have a list of occupations that can apply for skilled worker and other occupations can not apply or maybe other occupations still can apply but will be processed much slower, that maybe there will be a time limit that if your application is not processed within 12 months that it will be returned to you with the fees which with the current processing times would mean that if your occupation was not on the list that you could forget about it because you would never get processed within 12 months, also that you may need a job offer to apply from now on but nobody really knows for sure.