+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS requirement for VISA

tkhan270

Star Member
Apr 1, 2019
Hi, I have an acceptance for a Masters program in Canada and the university did not require IELTS. I still gave IELTS and got the following scores:
Overall: 8
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 6
Listening: 9
Speaking: 8.5
The university website states that the IELTS requirement is 7 (no info on individual bands) . Should I provide my IELTS score in my visa application? Or the score of 6 in writing is low and will cause problems. TIA

Christwadle

Star Member
Jun 6, 2017
Hi, I have an acceptance for a Masters program in Canada and the university did not require IELTS. I still gave IELTS and got the following scores:
Overall: 8
Reading: 8.5
Writing: 6
Listening: 9
Speaking: 8.5
The university website states that the IELTS requirement is 7 (no info on individual bands) . Should I provide my IELTS score in my visa application? Or the score of 6 in writing is low and will cause problems. TIA
IELTS requirement varies from one visa office to another, in some visa offices it is not even stated among required documents but in others it is strongly recommended. I will advise u to check u visa office area requirements. Hope this helps.

ismailel

Star Member
Dec 29, 2018
Agadir, Morocco
From what I read online, for Masters, it's required you have an IELTS overall score of 6.5 with no individual bands less than 6. You've already achieved this.

If I were you, I would include my IELTS TRF along with the supporting documents (although it's often stated as an optional document in the application form). It will give you more bonus points in your application. Also make sure your university is a DLI and you have a non conditional acceptance letter.