+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IELTS Academic---Canadian Citizenship Application

jpadz

Star Member
Oct 19, 2008
Hi everyone,

I know that it has been asked many times before, but I never heard of anyone who tried sending IELTS-Academic to prove language proficiency yet.

So, anybody here who tried it and received a positive or negative response from CIC?

Thanks.

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Officially, it's not good as a language proof for citizenship application.

I even think, but not 100% sure, I saw on this forum report of application with academic IELTS returned by CIC.

Drea

Star Member
Dec 3, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
London, UK
NOC Code......
0632 | 4131
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-09
Doc's Request.
16-07-09
AOR Received.
22-12-09
IELTS Request
16-07-09
Med's Request
20-05-10
Med's Done....
13-06-10
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
07-07-10
VISA ISSUED...
30-07-10
LANDED..........
13-12-10
jpadz said:
Hi everyone,

I know that it has been asked many times before, but I never heard of anyone who tried sending IELTS-Academic to prove language proficiency yet.

So, anybody here who tried it and received a positive or negative response from CIC?

Thanks.
Apparently, only the IELTS general is accepted, not the IELTS academic.

Doglover

Champion Member
Dec 1, 2009
CANADA
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Drea said:
Apparently, only the IELTS general is accepted, not the IELTS academic.
right. have a look (2. Language Proof if you are 18-54 years of age)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0002ETOC.asp

bongeorgeo

Apr 16, 2011
IELTS academic is completely unacceptable :eek:

IELTS general is accepted even if expired ! HAIL TO IELTS GENERAL WHO SAVED US ! :D

HHH2000

Star Member
Jan 28, 2014
bongeorgeo said:
IELTS academic is completely unacceptable :eek:

IELTS general is accepted even if expired ! HAIL TO IELTS GENERAL WHO SAVED US ! :D
One can only be curious to know the reason, as IELTS academic much tougher than IELTS general, scoring 7 band in Academic is real challenge as compare to General, very strange unless there is a very solid reason.

isilrion

May 25, 2012
HHH2000 said:
One can only be curious to know the reason, as IELTS academic much tougher than IELTS general, scoring 7 band in Academic is real challenge as compare to General, very strange unless there is a very solid reason.
Not only the academic is harder overall (though I know some who disagree on that), but the listening and speaking components of IELTS general and IELTS academic are identical. Same thing happens with CELPIP. Given that they only care about the listening and speaking components, it is puzzling why they insist on the General version. If there is a reason... I'd like to know it.

bongeorgeo

Apr 16, 2011
isilrion said:
Not only the academic is harder overall (though I know some who disagree on that), but the listening and speaking components of IELTS general and IELTS academic are identical. Same thing happens with CELPIP. Given that they only care about the listening and speaking components, it is puzzling why they insist on the General version. If there is a reason... I'd like to know it.
The reason is very simple , THE MONEY !
They just want money from you !

The proof that it's all about the money : If you have score 6 CLB ( placement test ) they don't accept it ! do you know why ? because it is free !
But if you have score 5 CELPIP , they accept it, why ? because it costs around $200

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know either why they don't accept academic. They went through some motions with the skilled worker program where they accepted academic for immigration purposes and then didn't, and then did, and then didn't again. Personally I find it unfair if a skilled worker applied during that period and was accepted with an academic IELTS, that he does not get it accepted for immigration while if he did the easier general training it would have been.

As for the theory that "they" just want your money, I don't buy that because IELTS and CELPIP are not owned by the Canadian govt. or by immigration so they are not getting any money from you if you take those tests. If they just wanted your money, they would develop their own test and the test fee would be a $1000 and it would expire after 3 months ;D

isilrion

May 25, 2012
Leon said:
I don't know either why they don't accept academic. They went through some motions with the skilled worker program where they accepted academic for immigration purposes and then didn't, and then did, and then didn't again. Personally I find it unfair if a skilled worker applied during that period and was accepted with an academic IELTS, that he does not get it accepted for immigration while if he did the easier general training it would have been.
Indeed. I was in that situation. Back then, they also required IELTS to be less than one year old (when it is valid for two years).

Leon said:
As for the theory that "they" just want your money, I don't buy that because IELTS and CELPIP are not owned by the Canadian govt. or by immigration so they are not getting any money from you if you take those tests. If they just wanted your money, they would develop their own test and the test fee would be a $1000 and it would expire after 3 months ;D
Don't give them ideas!