+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC Working Holiday - Applying within Canada

jengjeng

Mar 7, 2013
Hi everyone,

My 2013 IEC visa expires in July, and I'm reapplying from within Canada - does anyone foresee this as an issue? The Q&A states that you'd have to apply from outside Canada, but there are no residency requirements on the eligibility table that they recently posted.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

jengjeng said:
Hi everyone,

My 2013 IEC visa expires in July, and I'm reapplying from within Canada - does anyone foresee this as an issue? The Q&A states that you'd have to apply from outside Canada, but there are no residency requirements on the eligibility table that they recently posted.

any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
No, if there are no residency requirements and you are eligible for a 2nd IEC, then you won't have a problem. Home country residential address, Canada mailing address.

jengjeng

Mar 7, 2013
PMM said:
Hi

Home country residential address, Canada mailing address.
the form asks "current country of residence" - shouldn't i be putting in Canada address instead of my home country address? or will doing so affect my application? Thanks!

aferna12

Dec 1, 2014
jengjeng said:
the form asks "current country of residence" - shouldn't i be putting in Canada address instead of my home country address? or will doing so affect my application? Thanks!
I'm looking for the same answer. What do I put here? I'm in Canada now but am from Germany. Do I put Canada or Germany?

Vikfee

Sep 10, 2014
I am desperately looking for the answer on the similar issue. I am currently in Canada on study permit and want to apply for IEC Young professionals work permit and so postpone my studies for 1 year.

I am from Country with the residency requirement, but as written in bilateral agreement, residency requirement is established based on permanent address provided through Kompass application process. My permanent address and citizenship are in of my home country.

I would really appreciate advise if I am eligible to apply for IEC from within Canada with claiming the permanent residency address for my home country.

Thank you,

Vikfee

dunj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
I have applied from within Canada while on work permit with LMO. My country has the residency req. but I received POE. Residency req. is defined based on your perm. address (must be your home country), but what is even more important is that you can show them that you have held legal status all the time while in Canada. If you're in Ca, write that. Just be truthful.

Vikfee

Sep 10, 2014
dunj said:
I have applied from within Canada while on work permit with LMO. My country has the residency req. but I received POE. Residency req. is defined based on your perm. address (must be your home country), but what is even more important is that you can show them that you have held legal status all the time while in Canada. If you're in Ca, write that. Just be truthful.
Thank you for you post here. Just to clarify, the work permit you applied for and got POE was the IEC work permit ?

Also, may I ask you how did you activate your work permit ? Did you make flagpolling at the border ?

Thanks

dunj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Yes, it was the IEC WH 2015 :) I have not activated it yet because my wp is still valid, but I will exit Canada before it expires, probably just flagpole. I had the same doubts as you, but as I said, I explained my situation clearly and truthfully, and got POE :) Good luck!