+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC work permit about to expire-applied to stay on as a visitor

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
If anybody could help me, here is my situation:

Existing open work permit issued through IEC program from new zealand expires on 8th of July
applied to stay after 8th of july as a visitor
Entered a common law relationship in February 2013. I want to apply for common law next year February so that I can apply for PR eventually.
Given there is an ongoing strike right now, my application will only be processed in August.

Can i stay till a decision has been made? If not, then I will go home-in that case, will my common law relationship thus far been 5months reset to 0 months when i re-enter?

Regards to all

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

As you've applied to change your status, you will be on Implied Status after July 8th until CIC makes a decision. However, you must stop working as of that date. If they approve your visitor status, you can continue to extend that status while you wait for the 1 year mark and after you've applied for sponsorship (some people have been "visiting" Canada for several years while their applications are being processed).

If CIC doesn't approve your visitor status, then you will have to return home. There is no hard and fast rule but it is generally accepted that a separation of longer than a month or so can reset the common-law time frame. I believe there was an app not too long ago that was denied for less.

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
Yup, you're good to stay until a decision is made positive or negative, just can't work after your initial work permit expires and you go onto implied status.

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
There is still a lingering thought in my mind. I am looking at the work permit paper attached to my passport and it clearly states, must leave country by July 8th.

Thing is New Zealand IEC participants are not allowed to renew, extend or re-apply their work permit issued as part of the International Experience Canada Program. This is why I asked originally, if I am eligible for implied status still? (as I am asking to extend my stay here -although for a totally different category of visa this time being a visitor visa, but this action in itself, doesnt it count as an extension of my current visa?)

I was made to believe that only Federal Skilled worker program workers were eligible for implied status.

Regards to all

Line.a

Champion Member
Nov 23, 2010
Denmark
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-V
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-02-13
AOR Received.
27-02-13
Med's Request
08-02-14
Med's Done....
15-03-14
Interview........
Waived!
Passport Req..
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
OWP: 25-02-14
LANDED..........
23-07-14
No if you applied for a visitor extension online you're good to go. My IEC visa ran out and I applied for an extension the very day before it ran out, and that gave me implied status up because they received and confirmed it before it ran out. Scary but it worked and about 2 months later I got the extension so don't worry :)

Same in Denmark unfortunately.

Yes as long as you got a genuine reason to extend, and you can do so more than once if you're working to live with your partner for a one year period to become common-law. Just make sure you keep detail of everything you do, as you may need it in the future for applying for PR

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
After my Working Holiday year I applied for a Young Professional visa. I didn't know if they would approve it in time so I applied for a visitor visa at the same time. I received the Young Professional visa first and got the amount for the visitor visa refunded :)

Is there any chance that your current employer will apply for an LMO so that you can apply for a 1-2 year work permit? Or can you also apply for a Young Professional visa (no LMO required)? With a work permit you could at least work until you are able to apply for sponsorship. Otherwise you have to wait another year (approx) after the application until you can work here as a PR.

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Hi Little_apple,

Newzealand - Canada relations dont offer young professional visa unfortunately. My employer is happy to sponsor me and request a LMO, but the LMO will be rejected since they never advertised the position on a job bank for a minimum of 14 days and hired me through a recruitment company. These are the mininum requirements, which my employer hasnt complied with. So there goes that option.

Plus I am employed in a Skill Set C position, a further complication to my LMO process.

Regards to all, thanks to all

little_apple

Jun 11, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna/Austria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 20, 2013
Doc's Request.
June 4, 2013 & February 18, 2014
AOR Received.
May 5, 2013
File Transfer...
May 27, 2013
Med's Done....
April 4, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
exempt
VISA ISSUED...
April 17, 2014
LANDED..........
in Calgary since March 29, 2012. Landed as PR May 3, 2014
Oh I'm sorry to hear that :(

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Actually, they werent willing to sponsor me either. So that sucks. Oh well, now i have to wait till i get sponsored by my partner who is a canadian citizen. I would hate to be away from him because I absolutely adore him. WE are like two young teenagers in love-if the immigration of Canada gets in our way, then Australia is waiting for me ;D

little_apple said:
Oh I'm sorry to hear that :(

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
potential_resident said:
Actually, they werent willing to sponsor me either. So that sucks. Oh well, now i have to wait till i get sponsored by my partner who is a canadian citizen. I would hate to be away from him because I absolutely adore him. WE are like two young teenagers in love-if the immigration of Canada gets in our way, then Australia is waiting for me ;D
You're lucky - Sydney is one of the fast offices, and they are usually pretty good about communicating and finishing applications fast - so if you have a "straightforward" case it shouldn't be too long!
Good luck,
Sweden

potential_resident

Star Member
Jan 21, 2013
Line.a said:
No if you applied for a visitor extension online you're good to go. My IEC visa ran out and I applied for an extension the very day before it ran out, and that gave me implied status up because they received and confirmed it before it ran out. Scary but it worked and about 2 months later I got the extension so don't worry :)

Same in Denmark unfortunately.

Yes as long as you got a genuine reason to extend, and you can do so more than once if you're working to live with your partner for a one year period to become common-law. Just make sure you keep detail of everything you do, as you may need it in the future for applying for PR
Hi there,

I had two questions regarding the application to stay in Canada longer as a visitor when applying from inside of Canada:

-Is it the IMM5708 form I need to fill out also known as "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident
Permit Holder [IMM 5708] (PDF, 411 KB)"?
-Inside the form, do I select "Extension of my temporary resident status" over the the other two choices (Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor, Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit).

Its probably straightforward to others, but I am having a blank moment.

Thanks to all, regards to all in advance ;D

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
potential_resident said:
Hi there,

I had two questions regarding the application to stay in Canada longer as a visitor when applying from inside of Canada:

-Is it the IMM5708 form I need to fill out also known as "Application to Change Conditions, Extend my Stay or Remain in Canada as a Visitor or Temporary Resident
Permit Holder [IMM 5708] (PDF, 411 KB)"?
-Inside the form, do I select "Extension of my temporary resident status" over the the other two choices (Restoration of temporary resident status as a visitor, Initial temporary resident permit or extension of temporary resident permit).

Its probably straightforward to others, but I am having a blank moment.

Thanks to all, regards to all in advance ;D
Hi

-Yes
-Yes

:)