+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

IEC running out - Applied Outbound Family Class

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
HI All

So here is my issue

My visa runs out (IEC) on May 5th.

I processed my Spoucal sponsorship in Nov.

I'm really worried about running out of time. I have a mortgage here and I provide for my family (we have a small child now)

My questions.

How long do I leave it to apply for a visitor visa to be able to stay here in Canada?
Is there any chance of getting an extension to be able to work on my IEC or get an open work visa (I applied outland not inland as it seemed faster and kicking myself now)
Can I contact my VO (London UK) so try and speed my file up? Has anyone has success in doing this?

What would your guidance be? I need to work however the most important thing is that I can at least stay with the family here in Canada.

Thanks all

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
Jason12345 said:
HI All

So here is my issue

I processed my Spoucal sponsorship in Nov.

I'm really worried about running out of time. I have a mortgage here and I provide for my family (we have a small child now)

My questions.

How long do I leave it to apply for a visitor visa to be able to stay here in Canada?
Is there any chance of getting an extension to be able to work on my IEC or get an open work visa (I applied outland not inland as it seemed faster and kicking myself now)
Can I contact my VO (London UK) so try and speed my file up? Has anyone has success in doing this?

What would your guidance be? I need to work however the most important thing is that I can at least stay with the family here in Canada.

Thanks all
Unfortunately for you, you have no immediate work permit options. Your IEC cannot be extended, and you do not qualify for an open work permit because you filed outland. If you stay in Canada, and nothing has come through by then, you must adjust to visitor status online right before your IEC expires.

Your options are: (1) Hope your approval comes through before May. (2) Withdraw, and resubmit an inland application. This would lose you however many months you are down the line, but the new process, inland apps are only supposed to take 1 year and you'd get a work permit by about May. (3) Adjust to visitor status and wait. (4) Leave Canada and wait. You might also have (5) Get an LMIA-supported work permit depending on your job, but that's more of a long-shot, and has a lot of variables around what you're doing.

November to May is about the quickest I'd expect a London app (which you seem to have) to take - so you might get it around the time, or after a few weeks on visitor - but you could have up to a few months waiting, so I guess it depends how much/if your partner can/does pay towards the family home.

Honestly, you've got a dilemma. There's no guarantee a work permit filed for a new inland app would come any quicker than full PR on your existing app. But it might come several months quicker. And you'd never know, as you can only go down one path. And the cost of re-applying would be at least several hundred dollars (if not 1k+ - depending on things like any new police certificates/medicals/CIC fees). This isn't something you can really be advised on, just... informed :/

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Yeah I'm really worried about it.

Is there any way to contact the London Visa office and give them my situation. Maybe they can pick my application up quicker?

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
You can ask them, with a case specific enquiry. It's unlikely to do anything, their auto-response is that they'll only consider looking at anything like that if you're outside the stated processing times, and you're well within them (you'd get the right to pester them around August or later).

You're supposed to apply for visitor status a month before your IEC expires, but realistically you can do it up to the day of. It doesn't make a difference to you, the people who want to push it late are normally asking for extra time to travel, and want the processing to start late to give them as long as possible temporary status.

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
I don't want it to look like I'm trying to con the system. I will apply a month before.

Thank you for your help. Wasn't the information I was hoping for really.

I don't care about the money. Do you think I have a better shot going inland? I feel like I have wasted time if I change tho.

They asked me for new photos back in December which I sent in express mail. I guess this is going to send me to the back of the queue again eh?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Jason12345 said:
Yeah I'm really worried about it.

Is there any way to contact the London Visa office and give them my situation. Maybe they can pick my application up quicker?
Zero chance. If people could simply contact visa offices with a personal story and get quicker processing, every single applicant would be doing this.

If you re-applied inland best case in March, you wouldn't get an OWP until sometime in June/July. So you would be out of work for 2-3 months guaranteed.

Have you checked the London thread to see how quickly people are seeing their PR apps processed these days? If you applied in Nov then getting PR approved by May (so around 7 months) is definitely possible. Just not guaranteed.

In your case I unfortunately don't see any guaranteed way you will be able to continue working with no interruption. You will need to get lucky.

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
ECAS DM: 02/07/2017 PPR: 02/15/2017
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
Jason12345 said:
HI All

So here is my issue

I was also here on an IEC working holiday permit. I'm sure the rules are different for every country but mine(US), just had a change in their rules for IEC that we could apply twice in a row(without having to return to the US to college for a semester). I'm not sure of the UK rules for IEC, but definitely double check that you can't just reapply and get another work permit!

Bcboundboy

Aug 16, 2016
eaforster said:
I was also here on an IEC working holiday permit. I'm sure the rules are different for every country but mine(US), just had a change in their rules for IEC that we could apply twice in a row(without having to return to the US to college for a semester). I'm not sure of the UK rules for IEC, but definitely double check that you can't just reapply and get another work permit!
UK citizens are only entitled to a single two year permit (or a final 2 year permit if they had a single 1 year permit before 2015). US doesn't have IEC in quite the same way, because you have to go through Recognised Organisations, while most IEC participants get to do it by themselves just off citizenship.

eaforster

Star Member
May 16, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-09-2016
AOR Received.
01-10-2016
File Transfer...
15-10-2016 (SA)
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
12-07-2016
Passport Req..
ECAS DM: 02/07/2017 PPR: 02/15/2017
VISA ISSUED...
02/27/2017
LANDED..........
03/04/2017
Bcboundboy said:
UK citizens are only entitled to a single two year permit (or a final 2 year permit if they had a single 1 year permit before 2015). US doesn't have IEC in quite the same way, because you have to go through Recognised Organisations, while most IEC participants get to do it by themselves just off citizenship.
Ahhh ok, yeah I knew it was different for each country. Best of luck!

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
Rob_TO said:
Zero chance. If people could simply contact visa offices with a personal story and get quicker processing, every single applicant would be doing this.

If you re-applied inland best case in March, you wouldn't get an OWP until sometime in June/July. So you would be out of work for 2-3 months guaranteed.

Have you checked the London thread to see how quickly people are seeing their PR apps processed these days? If you applied in Nov then getting PR approved by May (so around 7 months) is definitely possible. Just not guaranteed.

In your case I unfortunately don't see any guaranteed way you will be able to continue working with no interruption. You will need to get lucky.
So based on this Rob would you recommend to hold tight and keep my fingers cross with outland app. Ofc nothing is certain but do you believe its the best way.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Jason12345 said:
I don't want it to look like I'm trying to con the system. I will apply a month before.

Thank you for your help. Wasn't the information I was hoping for really.

I don't care about the money. Do you think I have a better shot going inland? I feel like I have wasted time if I change tho.

They asked me for new photos back in December which I sent in express mail. I guess this is going to send me to the back of the queue again eh?
It's perfectly fine to apply for the extension later; the 30 days is a suggestion, not a requirement. I suggest you wait until near the end of April to give your PR app as much time as possible to be processed.

As Rob said, by the time you withdraw, get an inland app together and submit, it would be March. The OWP takes about 4 months, so you would still need to stop working.

There is no expedited processing. Your situation is not unique. Most everyone is in some type of hard situation while going through this process, whether it be separation, being unable to work or whatever.

Aquakitty

VIP Member
Mar 21, 2011
BC
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
04-03-2015
AOR Received.
14-04-2015 - SA Received: 20-04-2015
Med's Done....
28-01-2015 Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2015
LANDED..........
11-07-2015
Don't panic too much. London is usually pretty quick for UK citizens. You could order notes to see where they are in the process (I believe they take a month to get).

I'm wondering, how set in stone are these "no extension" rules? Do the officers still have discretion over these things in extenuating circumstances? I realise the rules are on the website, but that might not be the actual rules.

Only reason I ask is, back in the day, my husband's work permit was limited to 6 months, no extensions (at the time) and he still tried for an extension and it was granted.

Thoughts?

Jason12345

Star Member
Jun 12, 2013
This is what I am thinking. I have learned everything has exceptional circumstances and any rule is bendable if they want to.

I have decided to hang tight and keep my fingers crossed.

I might try and get the extension now and see what they reply with. If its rejected ill apply for visitor.

Can only roll the dice and see!